General Accounting is responsible for recording the inflow and outflow of University resources and can assist with inquiries or research regarding financial matters and fund balances.
Christopher Crow, Assistant Treasurer of Fiscal Operations
Management of general accounting, including: accounts payable, payroll operations, accounting policies and procedures, financial information and controls, auditing.
Perry Self, CPA – Accounting Manager
Accounting and compliance functions that includes preparation of financial information, researching, auditing, monitoring, etc.
Rosa Aldama, Financial Accountant
Account analysis and full review of general ledger, bank & investment reconciliations, tax filings.
Sarah Scully, Accounting Associate II
General ledger user profile maintenance, finance approval queue maintenance, and journal entries.
- Activity Code Request Form
- Check Stop Pay or Copy Form
- Fund Transer Request Form (see instructions below)
- Internal Control Self-Assessment Questionaire
- New Fund Form (see instructions below)
- Reclassification of Expense Form
- Stipend or Service Form
- IRS Form 990 Filings
Instructions for using the Fund Transfer Request Form
The Fund Transfer Request Form enables departments to request a budget transfer or cash transfer of available monies and must be approved by the Budget Manager. In most cases, budget and cash transfers from the current fiscal operating budgets will expire on June 30 of every year.
- Generally, Budget Transfers are only allowed between accounts within the same fund and organization. The fund and organization numbers must be the same for both the OUT and IN transaction columns.
- Reallocate funds from existing accounts that have a projected overage to accounts that have negative balances; sufficient funds should be transferred to cover future spending needs.
- Redistribute budget funds when new expense line items are added to an existing budget.
- In rare instances, upon proper approval, budgeted funds may be transferred from an existing fund and organization to a new or existing fund and organization.
- May be used by one department to assist another department in helping to fund (pay for) a special event or research project.
- Are used to reimburse expenses incurred or paid for by one department for another department.
- The account numbers must be the same for both the OUT and IN transaction columns.
- Transfers between expense line items to salaries or benefit line items are strictly prohibited.
Do not use the Fund Transfer Request Form to reclassify activity.
Please contact the University Financial Services & Treasury for further information @ (909) 469-5443.
Instructions for New Fund Requests
Before requesting a new fund, please ask yourself some of these questions:
- Does this activity need to be separated from normal operating activities?
- Is the dollar amount material enough to account for separately?
- Where will the sources of funding come from?
- Can an activity code be used instead?
- Who retains or pays for the net profit or loss?
- Are costs being allocated correctly?
If in the process of receiving funds:
- Are funds for a fee, gift, contract, other?
- Are funds restricted or unrestricted?
- Is restriction unreasonable?
- Are restrictions in line with the purposes of WesternU?
- Is there an existing restricted fund available to accommodate the wishes of the donor?
- What will the awarding criteria be?
The purpose of the new fund should be clearly stated. (Attach any supporting documents)
Definitions of unrestricted funds and restricted funds can be found in the finance and general accounting policy for Establishing New Funds.
The Financial Manager is the person responsible for this fund. The Financial Manager can designate a budget manager or whomever else they would like to have access to this fund. The designees for the fund must have Self-Service (Banweb) training to access/query funds. Please note that scholarships require approvals from the offices of Student Affairs and Financial Aid.
The source of the funding should clearly state the source of revenue.
Start up costs are expenses that are incurred before any funding has been received.
Which Sales are subject to sales tax?
How do I obtain a copy University’s W-9?
If I need to make a cash transfer, which form should I use?
Who do I send the cash transfer and reclassification form to?
How can I check on a fund balance?
- Log into Self-Service (Banweb) (https://banapps.westernu.edu:4443/”)
- Select Financial Services from the main menu
- Select Budget Queries
- Create a query by entering the fund and the organization number
- Submit the query
How can I gain access to a fund or org?
Who should I call regarding questions on my financial reports?
How do I go about getting a credit card terminal?
Contact Rosa Aldama in the University Financial Services & Treasury at (909) 706-3514 or email@example.com
How can I expense a Federal/State grants and contracts?
You need to obtain an approval from Department of Sponsored Research and Contracts before you can submit the request to the University Financial Services & Treasury
How do I set up a fund?