Family Hooding Ceremony, A Moment of Honor
Western University of Health Sciences proudly offers our graduates the opportunity to have two adult family members/friends join them on stage to bestow them with the academic hood signifying their degree. At that special moment, you, the family hooder, will be honoring your graduate for years of hard work. At the same time, by your presence on stage, you will be recognized for the contributions you've made along the way. It will truly be a moment of honor.
Family Hooder Instructions
Before the Ceremony:
- Review the instructional video online (above) or watch and practice hooding in Room 204 at the Conference Center (next to the Pasadena Civic Auditorium) on the day of the ceremony.
- Your graduate will give you your Family Hooder Pass (only two per graduate) which will also serve as your admission ticket (if required).
- Only two family hooders will be permitted on stage.
- For safety and liability purposes, Family Hooders must be at least 12 years of age. Family Hooders under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. The adult will count as one of the Family Hooders. No exceptions will be granted.
- You will need to show your Hooder Pass to be admitted to the Family Hooder Seating area, known as the Loge.
- Family hooders who require disability related accommodations: The Loge section is at the top of a long flight of stairs. If you have difficulty ascending and descending stairs please have your graduate indicate this on the Graduate Participation Form. Should you need assistance the day of, please inform a commencement assistant and they will be happy to assist you.
- Due to the line-up and waiting time required to organize family hooders, adult hooders are preferred.
- Please leave any personal belongings with a family member in the general seating area or securely in your car before taking your seat in the loge; you will not be able to take your purse, or camera or flowers/leis on stage with you. You must have your hands free to hood your graduate. WesternU and the Pasadena Civic Auditorium will not be held responsible for any unattended, lost or stolen personal items.
During the Ceremony:
- It is important that you sit in the section indicated on your hooder pass, so you will be directed to go to the lobby at the appropriate time.
- Commencement assistants will alphabetize and escort you through the auditorium to the stage.
- You will be directed onto the stage just prior to the calling of your graduate's name.
- A faculty member will stand at the hooding table and hand you a hood, you will then place it on your graduate's shoulders.
- A faculty member or trustee will hood the graduate should a family member not be present.
- After the hooding, you will pose briefly with your graduate for a photograph and then exit the stage.
- Your graduate will return to their seat and you will return to your seat in the Loge.