International Scholar Relations

Reporting Requirements

Current Visiting Scholars – Reporting Requirements

It is important that you read the information on this page to maintain your legal status in the United States.

Contact the International Scholar Relations office to ensure that the changes you wish to make are in adherence the USCIS regulations and are recorded in SEVIS program. Please email any changes to: J1Program@westernu.edu

U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), and the U.S. Department of State s (DOS) and the Student & International Scholar Information System (SEVIS), require International Scholars in J-1 visa classification to be aware of and comply fully with the following directives.


You must maintain a valid passport at all times, unless exempt from passport requirements.

J-1 Visa

If your J-1 visa has expired and you leave the United States, you will need to apply for a new J-1 visa in your homeland before you can return to the U.S.  Please keep this in mind when you are scheduled to leave.  If you are out of the U.S. for more than 30 days without reasonable cause, it could affect your status as a J-1 exhange visitor.

Intent to Transfer

J-1 Scholars must notify the J-1 RO/ARO at your current institution (WesternU) of your intent to transfer to another institution.  The J-1 RO/ARO at WesternU will need to contact the new institution to arrange for the transfer of Form DS-2019 to the new institution. The scholar must report to the J-1 RO/ARO at the new institution by the start date on the new Form DS-2019.

Program Changes

J-1 Scholars must maintain their original academic objective. If a change occurs, you must immediately notify the J-1 RO/ARO regarding any program changes.

Extension Request

You must apply for an extension of your visit at WesternU well in advance of the expiration date on your Form Form DS-2019, if you cannot complete your program by that date. J-1scholars must contact the J-1 RO/ARO for extension requests. Requests for extensions should be submitted 45-60 days prior to the expiration date of the Form DS-2019 so the extension process can be completed prior to the expiration date on the document.

Additional Employment

J-1 International Scholars are NOT allowed to engage in any additional employment in the United States. Authorization is required from the J-1 RO/ARO. Requests for permission to engage in any additional employment, such as an occasional lecture, must be directed to the J-1 RO/ARO prior to beginning any such employment.

Change of Address

International Scholars must report any change of address or residence and/or any change of name directly to the J-1 RO/ARO within 10 days of the change. The J-1 RO/ARO will then electronically notify U.S.C.I.S. of the change, via SEVIS.

J-1 ROs/AROs are legally required to inform the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of a change of address within 10 days. The J-1 visitor’s change of address must be submitted in SEVIS, therefore, scholars should promptly email the J-1 RO at bcampbell@westernu.edu or J-1 ARO at sbates@westernu.edu.

Visiting J-1 scholars, who are employees of WesternU and are in the Payroll System, must also notify the Office of Payroll.

Travel Outside the U.S.

Visiting Scholars and Researchers

1. Request appropriate leave from supervisor

2. Notify J-1 RO/ARO and obtain a Travel Request Form

3. Complete, sign and date a Travel Request Form

4. Submit Form to ISR with latest original DS-2019, and passport.

5. Before you depart, discuss potential complications with regard to your immigration status and travel – such as:

-you plan to be gone from the U.S. more than 30 days

-your J-2 dependents will be staying in the USA while you are gone

You must notify the J-1 RO/ARO prior to traveling outside the U.S. so that the Form DS-2019 can be signed to approve travel out of the U.S. or a new form can be issued, if required.  A letter confirming location, purpose and continuing funding and medical insurance must be completed by the J-1 scholar’s immedicate supervisor.  The J-1 RO/ARO can provide a travel form/sample letter. 

Inviting Dependents (J-2s) to the U.S.

You must notify the WesternU J-1 RO, if you wish to invite any legal dependents (i.e. spouse or children under the age of 21) so that the J-1 RO/ARO can issue a DS-2019 for their travel to the U.S.

Departure from WesternU

The host department must notify the J-1 RO/ARO J-1Program@westernu.edu  at least 45 days in advance of the DS-2019 Form Program End Date to confirm that the scholar’s program will end or that the program will be extended.  All J-1 program extensions must first be approved by the J-1  RO or ARO. 

Departure schedule

  • 30 day departure, if International Scholar’s program ends as planned (end date on DS2019) or a,
  • 15 day departure, if International Scholar ceases employment 30 days before program end date.


Updated:  August 2015