Purpose and Objectives
The Summer Medical Sciences Prep Program (SMSPP) is a five-week program that provides an opportunity for incoming WesternU students to prepare for the rigors of their chosen professional program by providing an introduction to applicable courses in an Interprofessional setting.
The first three and a half weeks will be focused on Gross and Head & Neck Anatomy. During this part of the program, morning sessions will be devoted mostly to small group discussions in the anatomy lab. In the afternoon there will be didactic lectures on the content reviewed in the lab followed by small group discussions. You will have extensive exposure to cadavers in the anatomy lab. At the midpoint and end of the Gross Anatomy section you will be given two written and two practical exams for Gross Anatomy that are very similar in style to the exams you will be taking in the fall semester.
Other program specific courses will be taught during the last week and a half of the program on a rotating basis. Instruction will emphasize the key concepts underpinning the basic principles in each subject. Didactic lectures with question-answer periods will comprise these sessions. OMM will also include hands-on training in the OMM lab. Brief quizzes will be given at the start of most lectures.
Besides the subject content instruction, a series of study skills workshops will be offered throughout the program. They will address problems that can occur when students find themselves over-whelmed with the information explosion and time constraints of a health profession school. Practical methods to improve study skills, test-taking strategies and stress and anxiety management will be taught. Members of the Learning Enhancement and Academic Development (LEAD) Office will conduct the workshops.
Nearly all faculty notes and PowerPoint slides will be available on Blackboard, a software program which students can access using the WesternU internet portal. If you have a laptop computer, we recommend that you bring it with you to the program. A special training session will be done on the first day of the program about how to access and use the Blackboard software. If you do not have a laptop, you can use ones that are available at different locations on campus, such as the library, students commons etc.
It is imperative that you are prepared to dedicate at least eight hours each day in the classroom and an additional 2-3 hours each evening in preparation for the next day for the entire five weeks of the program. Statistical evidence shows that students who devote the necessary time and take the program seriously do well in medical school. The material you master in this program will save you time and energy during the first semester of medical school. If there is one overriding goal of the program it is to improve your knowledge of these topics and thus improve your grades in medical school. Students who have other commitments during the SMSPP program are encouraged not to apply.
The program will be held on the Pomona campus June 16, 2014 through July 18, 2014.
Application Procedure, Cost, and Refund Policy
- To enroll, click on the Admissions Application/View Application Checklist link on the main BanWeb menu.
- Enter the Login ID and PIN you created during the application process for your primary program and click on the Login button.
- Click on the New link to create a new application, and select SMSPP from the drop-down list.
- Click on the Continue button to start your application.
- Select summer 2014 for the Admission Term, enter your name, then click on the Fill Out Application button.
- Complete the Name, Address, and Personal Information sections of the SMSPP application. When you have completed all sections, click on the Application is Complete button.
- You will be directed to the SMSPP agreement page. Please review this page carefully and if you accept the terms and conditions listed, click on the I agree button.
- You will now be directed to the payment screen. The cost of the SMSPP 5 week program is $750.00.The program fees include required textbooks and other required materials. Payment must be made via MasterCard or Visa at the time of application to enroll in the SMSPP program.
Students who have paid for the 5 week program and decide to cancel before 5:00 p.m. on June 13, 2014 are entitled to a full refund. After June 14, 2014, all payments are non-refundable and no exceptions will be made. All cancellations are made through the Registrar’s Office.