Purpose and Objectives
The Summer Medical Sciences Prep Program (SMSPP) is a six week program designed to prepare incoming students for the rigors of professional school in an inter-professional setting. It also acclimates them to the “WesternU way”. By the time school starts officially, SMSPP participants have been introduced to deans and faculty, know how to access crucial resources on campus, have experienced and know how to deal with feelings of overwhelm in the face of information overload, and best of all have already connected with fellow-students in and outside of their programs.
The first four and a half weeks of this intensive prep program are especially important for students who may not have a strong background in science or human anatomy, or feel they could benefit from brushing up on their existing knowledge in:
- skeletal system
- gross anatomy
- head and neck anatomy
Daily lectures and cadaver dissection labs make sure students will matriculate into their programs well-prepared. The SMSPP also offers important, in-depth introductions to WesternU specific courses, such as
- IPE (Inter-professional Education) and
- community focused service learning part.
In addition, students receive a number of rigorous faculty and LEAD team facilitated seminars on professional school skills, vital to the successful navigation of professional school.
This challenging course work prepares participants to transition more easily from undergraduate, even graduate school, into professional school.
The program will be held on the Pomona campus June 8, 2015 through July 17, 2015.
Application Procedure, Cost, and Refund Policy
- To enroll, click on the Admissions Application/View Application Checklist link on the main BanWeb menu.
- Enter the Login ID and PIN you created during the application process for your primary program and click on the Login button. (Podiatric Medicine accepts: please create an account via the link “First time user account creation”.)
- Click on the New link to create a new application, and select SMSPP from the drop-down list.
- Click on the Continue button to start your application.
- Select summer 2015 for the Admission Term, enter your name, then click on the Fill Out Application button.
- Complete the Name, Address, and Personal Information sections of the SMSPP application. When you have completed all sections, click on the Application is Complete button.
- You will be directed to the SMSPP agreement page. Please review this page carefully and if you accept the terms and conditions listed, click on the I agree button.
- You will now be directed to the payment screen. The cost of the SMSPP 6-week program is $950.00.The program fees include required textbooks and other required materials. Payment must be made via MasterCard or Visa at the time of application to enroll in the SMSPP program.
Students who have paid for the 5 week program and decide to cancel before 5:00 p.m. on June 4, 2015 are entitled to a full refund. After June 5, 2015, all payments are non-refundable and no exceptions will be made. All cancellations are made through the Registrar’s Office.