The Summer Medical Sciences Prep Program (SMSPP) is a six week program designed to prepare incoming students for the rigors of their chosen program by providing an introduction to applicable courses, skills, and competencies in an Inter-professional Education healthcare setting. It also introduces them to the “WesternU way” to ease the transition from undergraduate school training to professional school. SMSPP also provides the opportunity to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of their academic, as well as their inter- and intra-personal strengths and weaknesses. By the time school starts officially, SMSPP participants have been introduced to deans and faculty, know how to access crucial resources on campus, have experienced and dealt with information overload, and best of all have already connected with fellow-students in and outside of their programs.
Find out how SMSPP can make a difference to you.
If you are an incoming WesternU student, find out how to sign up here.
Information to help make your time in SMSPP better.
“This program was such a confidence booster. I have changed so much as a person after going through this class and am so confident and ready to take on my rigorous program.” – DPM
“I loved the optometry break out sessions! I really appreciated getting to meet some of the faculty and get a taste of what to expect! I loved the support and encouragement from LEAD and TAs! It has been an incredible value to me in building a strong foundation.” – OD
Have we helped you? Let us know:
In-depth introductions to WesternU specific courses
- IPE (Inter-professional Education)
- Community focused service learning
- and more!
Seminars on professional school skills
- Study skills
- Time management
- Test taking
- Stress management
How to Apply
Set up your application
- Select this Banweb link
- From the application process:
- Enter Login ID
- Enter PIN
- Select Login
- Podiatric Medicine accepts: use “First time user account creation”
- Select New
- Select SMSPP
- Select Continue
Provide your information
- For Admission Term: Select Summer 2016
- Enter your name
- Select Fill Out Application
- Complete Name, Address, and Personal Information
- Select Application is Complete
- Review the SMSPP agreement page carefully
- Select I agree to continue
Make your payment
- SMSPP is $950.00.
- Fees include required materials
- Payment must be made at the time of application
- MasterCard or Visa accepted