All personnel, staff, faculty should have access to the Blackboard course. Email the IRB if you can not access.
About the IRB
An institution that is involved in any study regarding human subjects must have a committee that oversees this work.
The committee is known as the Institutional Review Board, or, IRB. The IRB is comprised of experts and lay (community) members.
- You may submit your application to: IRBsubmission@westernu.edu
In general, a printed guide on how to Apply for IRB (word document)
An overview of the application process (image in png)
- IRB_Application_Template_2016 (10/2016)
- Guide to IRB application
- IRB policy manual (does not contain fillable versions of all forms, but describes and shows all forms)
Request for Determination
See here: Do I need to apply for IRB?
- Request for Determination – as to whether or not the research requires IRB board review- and/or – at what level.
Informed Consent Example/ Template
Request for Renewal of IRB application (annual)
- annual reporting requirements
- annual report form (aka project information sheet) . Please submit this form as a cover sheet for renewing your study. Also attach a report and a change form if you are making any additions/ deletions.
Submission of your revisions (for PIs)
- principal investigators are asked to please submit their revisions, in response to reviewer comments, in a separate, word document.
Review Form (for IRB committee)
- Assent Forms
- Sample Site Authorization Letter
- Bill of Rights
- Informed Consent
Request for Determination
- request for determination (if you are unsure if the study requires IRB review, use this)
Creating Questionnaires/ Surveys
- Step-By-Step-Guide-to-Developing-Effective-Questionnaires (from Rutgers Cooperative and Agricultural Research Extension)
- Sample_survey_IRB_app (from San Jose State University)
Q: Must all research on campus go through the Office of the Institutional Review Board (OIRB) for review?
A: All research involving human subject matters must go through the Office of the Institutional Review Board (OIRB) for consideration and approval.
Q: Is an application always required?
Yes, if requesting to perform research that could involve human subjects, you must submit an application, utilizing the university’s form for IRB.
Q: When will my application be reviewed?
A: The applications will be submitted to the board, which meets approximately monthly.
Q: Is training on how to complete the IRB application available?
A: Some guidance, or, advice on the application process, training information on the protection of human subjects, and other helpful information is included, below.
Q: Does every individual working on the project need to take the NIH PHRP training?
A: All students and faculty and persons involved in research must complete the NIH training (for reference: The NIH has issued policy on the required education for investigators conducting human subject research).
Q: How long is my NIH training valid?
A: 5 years.