About IACUC at WesternU:
The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is mandated by Federal Law, specifically the Animal Welfare Act, which requires that all academic institutions receiving federal funds for animal research establish an IACUC to oversee the use of animals in teaching and research and to ensure that any such use of animals is done in compliance with all applicable laws and guidelines. As part of its duties, Western University’s IACUC reviews and approves all proposals for the use of animals in research or teaching by University personnel before any such activities may begin. The overriding concern of the IACUC is that all research or teaching involving the use of animals is justified and is performed in a humane manner with the fewest number of animals that will provide the desired outcome. The IACUC also conducts semiannual inspections of all animal housing facilities and animal research laboratories under the jurisdiction of the University to ensure that these facilities meet Federally mandated standards.
Important Policies and Procedures
- IACUC Policies and Procedures
- Contact information for Reporting Misuse, Mistreatment or Non-Compliance with Animal Regulations
- Animal Care Unit Disaster and Emergency Preparedness Plan
Please use the following links to download IACUC forms and documents. Donald E. Walters, Ph.D. is the Chair of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). He can be reached at email@example.com.
- IACUC Research Protocol Form in Word.
- IACUC Breeding Protocol Form in Word
- Annual Renewal and Progress Report in Word
- Animal Adoption Form in PDF
- IACUC 101 Training Program (Requires Blackboard login)
Helpful Reference Material:
Power Analysis Assistance – three different training links: