Edward Junkins, MD, MPH, FAAP
Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Northwest
Phone: (541) 259-0246 |
1983-1987 B.A., University of Notre Dame
1987-1991 M.D., Johns Hopkins University of Medicine (Medicine)
1991-1994 Resident, Johns Hopkins Hospital Children's Center (Pediatrics)
1997-2000 Fellow, University of Utah School of Medicine (Pediatric Emergency Medicine)
2002-2005 M.P.H., University of Utah School of Medicine (Public Health)
• Member and Director: Utilization Review Committee, Reviewed resource utilization and billing practices of the Crownpoint PHS Hospital. Attended training conferences regarding reimbursement procedures. Managed a staff of 4-5 PHS employees, The Crownpoint Health Care Facility, Crownpoint, New Mexico
• Member: Nursing Recruitment and Retention Committee, Duties included active recruitment of qualified registered nurses to the Indian Health Service on the eastern Navajo reservation. Generally recruited 5-10 per year. Also reviewed retention issues with committee
• Director: Medical Student and Resident Education, Primary care and rural medicine elective preceptor, Crownpoint IHS Health Care Facility
• Physician Recruitment Coordinator: Duties included active recruitment of qualified physicians to the Indian Health Service on the eastern Navajo reservation. Generally recruited 3-5 per year
• Member: Pediatrics Residency Intern Selection Committee, Duties include active participation in pediatric intern selection process, including interviewing candidates (10-15 per month), completing evaluations and attending weekly meeting, Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah School of Medicine
• Ad hoc Committee Member (Interviewer): Medical School Admissions Committee, Duties include active participation in medical student selection process, interviewing candidates (10-15 per month) and completing evaluations, participating in panel for undergraduate advisors (August 2002), University of Utah School of Medicine
• Member: Intermountain Injury Control and Research Center, Executive Committee, Duties include attending bi-monthly meeting at the IICRC, mentorship of MPH students (1 in 2001) and PEM fellows (2 currently) in injury research, University of Utah School of Medicine
• Medical Director, Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, Primary Children's Medical Center, Salt Lake City, Utah
• Member: Medical School Admissions Committee
• Member: Cultural Competence and Mutual Respect, Health Sciences Course Curriculum Core Team Committee
• Assistant Dean, Diversity and Community Outreach. Dean's Office, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah
• Curriculum Coordinating Committee
• Associate Dean Medical Education, Student Affairs, University of Utah School of Medicine
• Education Deans Committee, University of Utah School of Medicine
• Cultural Competence Thread Committee, Medical Curriculum, University of Utah School of Medicine, member
• WGSA Vice-Chair, American Academy of Medical Colleges Western Regional Group on Student Affairs
• Search Advisory Committee, University of Utah Health Sciences, Senior Vice President’s Office, member
• WGSA Chair, American Academy of Medical Colleges Western Regional Group on Student Affairs
• Chair, University of Utah Health Sciences Safety Committee
Member, Advisory Board, Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network (CPCCRN), National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health (NIH).
• Member, American Association of Medical Colleges GRA/GSA Joint Task force.
• Associate Dean, Academic Affairs, Western University of Health Sciences, COMP-Northwest
• Lecturer, Pediatric Residency Program, various topics in emergency medicine
• "Childhood Safety and Injury Prevention" - Invited Speaker, Pediatric Core Lecture Series, SOM 2nd year students. University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
• "Cultural Competence", multicultural counseling course - Invited Speaker, Graduate Program in Genetic Counseling, Division of Medical Genetics
• "Cultural Competence in Maternal and Child Health" - Invited Speaker, Dept. of Family & Preventative Medicine
• "Diversity and Pre-medical Application" - Invited Lecturer, UGS 1020 undergraduate.
• "Health Care" - Undergraduate lecture regarding medical education.
• Instructor, MD ID 7300: Medical Arts-Professionalism, Culture and Medicine, University of Utah, Deans Office- SOM. Phase I Medical Curriculum.
• "Professionalism" - Invited Lecturer, Academic Associates Program: PEDS 5900 Clinical Research Methods and Practice.
• Lecturer, Garfield Memorial Hospital, "Recognition of Child Abuse". Panguich, Utah.
• Presenter/facilitator, University of Utah School of Medicine, Office of Diversity and Community Outreach, “Getting into Medical School: Know Yourself,” Day of the Dead, Office of Diversity and Community Outreach, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah
• Presenter, University of Utah, “Getting into Medical School: Be Your Brand,” American Indian Resource Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
• Presenter, University of Utah Office of Inclusion and Outreach, “Getting into Medical School: Be Your Brand,” Office of Inclusion and Outreach, Granite Technical Institute, Salt Lake City, Utah
• “Marketing Yourself: Know Your Brand, Be your Brand”, National Health Science Curriculum Conference Keynote Speaker, Salt Lake City, Utah.
• “Cultural Competence and Mutual Respect: Communication of Intention”, Pediatric Nursing Conference Keynote Speaker, Intermountain Health Care Urban South Region, Provo, Utah.