Jin-Shan Hu, PhD
Associate Professor of Biochemistry
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Join year: 2007
Ph.D., Biochemistry, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA, 1995
M.S., Organic Chemistry, Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Science, Shanghai, 1987
B.S., Physical Chemistry, Xiamen University, China, 1983
Postdoctoral Fellow with Dr. Ad Bax, LCP/NIDDK/NIH, Bethesda, MD, 1999
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Cancer Research Institute, New York, 1995 –1998
Klein Fellowship, Brandeis University, 1991-1992
Samuel Goldwyn Fellowship, Brandeis University, 1989 – 1991
Associate Professor, Western University of Health Sciences, BMS, Pomona, CA 2007 to present
Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Maryland, Bethesda, ML 1999-2006
Associate Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, East China Normal University, Shanghai, China, 1987-1989
Endocrine System: “Cholesterol and lipoprotein metabolism”
Renal System: “Acid-base disorders” & “Uric acid metabolism”
MCBM: “Acid-base balance”; “O2 metabolism & toxicity”; “Ketone body metabolism”; Amino acid metabolism; Nitrogen metabolism & Urea cycle; Protein digestion; Nucleotide metabolism; Megaloblastic & pernicious anemia.
Multidimensional NMR methods and their application in structural biology;
Structures and functions of the DNA repair and tumor suppressor proteins;
Molecular mechanism of the RecQ helicases function in DNA metabolism and in maintaining genome integrity.
Active Research Grants
- American Cancer Society (PI): “Structural Studies of DNA Repair Nucleases: RecB and WRN”, $631,479.
- American Heart Association (PI): “Structural Studies of the Werner Syndrome Protein and its Interaction with DNA”, $260,000.
- Ren H, Dou SX, Zhang XD, Liu JL, Wang PY, Hu JS, and Xi XG. Modulation of double-stranded DNA unwinding and single-stranded DNA annealing of human RECQ5 helicase by a RecQ-specific motif. Biochem J. 2008 Jun 15;412(3):425-33.
- Zhang XD, Dou SX, Xie P, Hu JS, Wang PY and Xi XG. Escherichia coli RecQ is a rapid, efficient, and monomeric helicase. J Biol Chem. 2006 May 5;281(18):12655-63.
- Sun JZ, Julin D and Hu JS. The nuclease domain of the Escherichia ColiRecBCD enzyme catalyzes degradation of linear and circular single-stranded and double-stranded DNA. Biochemistry. 2006 Jan 10;45(1):131-40.
- Lee JW, Kusumoto R, Doherty KM, Lin GX, Zeng W, Cheng WH, von Kobbe C, Brosh RM Jr, Hu JS and Bohr VA. Modulation of Werner syndrome protein function by a single mutation in the conserved RecQ domain. J Biol Chem. 2005 Nov 25;280(47):39627-36.
- Hu JS, Feng H, Zeng W, Lin GX and Xi XG. Solution structure of a multifunctional DNA- and protein-binding domain of human Werner syndrome protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005 Dec 20;102(51):18379-84.
- Hu JS, Plaksin D and Margulies DH. Backbone and side chain resonance assignments of a TRAV14-3 mouse T cell receptor domain. J Biomol NMR. 2005 Mar;31(3):271-2.
- Sun JZ, Feng HQ, Lin GX, Zeng W and Hu JS. NMR assignments of the winged-helix domain of human Werner syndrome protein. J Biomol NMR. 2005 Jul;32(3):261.
Click link for additional articles: