BPharm - College of Pharmacy, Kabul University (Kabul, Afghanistan), 1980
MSci - Dept Pharm Sci, College of Pharmacy, St. John's University (Jamaica, New York, USA), 1990
PhD - Dept Pharmacol & Toxicol, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine (Irvine, California, USA)
Pharmacology and pathophysiology of the autonomic nervous, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, pulmonary and central nervous systems.
Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics (PBT) I and II. Topics include sympathomimetic and sympatholytic (PBT I), anti-diabetic, anti-hypertensive and anti-anginal drugs (PBT II)
Our research interest is in the field of pain, addiction and diabetes. In particular, we study the role of neuropeptides in pain modulation as well as in the rewarding and reinforcing actions of nicotine, alcohol, cocaine and other addictive drugs, and palatable foods. We are also interested in the role of these peptides in stress-mediated enhancement of drug and food reward as well as in drug- and stress-induced changes in mood and motivation.
HHSN275201500005C, “Development of Nociceptin Receptor Agonists or Alcohol Use Disorders”, Co-PI, NIH/NIAAA SBIR Phase II, Subcontract with Astraea Therapeutics, LLC., $276,713 for the period of 01/10/15 to 09/25/17, extramural.
The major goal of this project is to develop selective NOP receptor agonists and assess their efficacy in animal models of alcohol reward and reinforcement.
RG-1501-02891, “The μ-opioid/nociceptin-orphanin FQ receptor system in oligodendrocyte development and remyelination”, Co-I, National MS Society, Subcontract with the Virginia Commonwealth University, Approximately $20,000 annual cost for the period of 09/01/15 to 08/31/18, extramural.
The major goal of this project is to assess the opposite effects of the endogenous ligands of the mu and nociceptin receptors in myelination and remyelination.
TRDRP 320973, “The role of PACAP/PAC1 receptor system in nicotine addiction”, PI, TRDRP, first year direct cost $125,000 for the period of 07/01/15 to 06/30/16, extramural.
The goal of this project is to determine the role of endogenous PACAP and the effect of exogenous PACAP and related drugs on the motivational effects of nicotine.
“Nociceptin receptor (NOP) agonists for cocaine, and nicotine-alcohol use disorders”, PI, Contract with Astraea Therapeutics, LLC, $25,000, period from 09/15/14 to 09/30/15, extramural.
The goal of this contract is to assess the effects of NOP agonists on the rewarding action of cocaine as well as a combination of alcohol and nicotine in the mouse conditioned place preference model.
“Nociceptin receptor (NOP) agonists for alcohol use disorders”, PI, SBIR/NIH, subcontract with Astrea Therapeutics, LLC, $35,087 for an 8-months period from 06/01/13 to 01/31/14, extramural.
The goal of this subcontract is to assess the effects of a selective NOP agonist on alcohol reward.
“R24 DA017298: Drew MIDARP (Infrastructure in Drug Abuse research)”, NIH/NIDA, Project PI, direct cost averaged per year: 270,000 (Lutfy: $64,500) for the period of 09/01/04 to 08/31/13, extramural.
The major goal of the project is to increase research, training and educational capabilities related to substance abuse at Drew.
“R01 DA023281-01: Mixed NOP/mu Compounds and the involvement of their receptors in Analgesia”, NIH/NIDA, Co-PI, first year direct cost: $246,680 for the period of 07/01/2007 – 06/30/2010, extramural.
The goal of this grant proposal is to characterize the role of the ORL-1 receptor in the analgesic and rewarding actions of buprenorphine and a series of novel drugs with mixed action at the ORL-1 and mu opioid receptors.
“R01 DA16682-01: OFQ/N/ORL-1 system and cocaine sensitization”, NIH/NIDA, PI, first year direct cost: $125,000 per year for the period of 08/01/04 to 07/31/07, extramural.
The major goal of the project is to determine the site of action of OFQ/N and to evaluate whether repeated cocaine treatment would alter the level of endogenous OFQ/N or its receptor.
“Small Grant: Modulation of Opiates and Ethanol Action in the Mesolimbic System by the Neuropeptide PACAP”, UCSF Alcohol and Addiction Research Program, first year direct cost: $50,000 for the period of 01/01/02 to 01/12/02.
The major goals of this project are to investigate the role of PACAP in morphine- and ethanol-induced alteration in dopamine levels, locomotor activity, drug-seeking behaviors, sensitization, and ethanol-induced sedation in mice and rats.
“R01 DA14659-01A1: Genes and Proteins Involved in the Switch Leading to Addiction”, NIH/NIDA, Co-PI, first year direct cost: $175,000 for the period of 07/01/2002 – 06/30/2003, extramural.
The objectives of the project are to characterize genes and proteins regulated by morphine in the brains and pituitaries of mice.
"R21DA016867-01-A1: Chronic Nicotine’s Activation of the HPA Axis", NIH/NIDA, Co-PI, first year cost: $100,000, for the period of 07/01/2003 to 06/30/05, extramural.
The major goals of this project are to examine the effect of chronic nicotine on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in rats.
“K01 DA00411-03: Orphanin FQ and Cocaine Sensitization”, NIH/NIDA, PI, first year direct cost: $113,309 for the period of 07/01/1999 – 07/01/2002, extramural.
The major goal of this project is to determine the role of orphanin FQ/nociceptin (OFQ/N) and its receptor in motor stimulation and sensitization induced by single and repeated cocaine administration using behavioral and neurochemical approaches.
“NARSAD Young Investigator Award: Modulation of dopamine systems by OFQ/N”, National Alliance of Research on Schizophrenia and Depression, PI, first year direct cost: $30,000 for the period of 07/01/99 to 06/30/01, extramural.
The major goal of this project was to determine the effect of orphanin FQ/nociceptin on extracellular dopamine along the mesolimbic and nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons.
Faculty Service Award, Western University of Health Sciences (2016)
Provost Scholar of the Year, Western University of Health Sciences (2015)
Teacher of the Year Award, Western University of Health Sciences (2014)
Faculty Service Award, Western University of Health Sciences (2014)
Teacher of the Year Award, Western University of Health Sciences (2013)
Faculty Service Award, Western University of Health Sciences (2012)
Faculty Service Award, Western University of Health Sciences (2010)
Faculty Excellence Performance Merit Award, Western University of Health Sciences (2006)
Graduate Student of the year, Henry Wood Elliott Memorial Fund Fellowship; Dept. of Pharmacology, UCI (95-96)
Society for Neuroscience, Member (1989-present)
International Brain Research Organization, Member (1999-present))
American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, Member (2004-2007)
American Association for the Advancement of Science, Member (2005-2010)
The New York Academy of Sciences, Member (2006-present
Research Society on Alcoholism, Member (20210-present)
American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Member (2013-2015)
American Association for the Advancement of Science, Member (2012-2015)
International Behavioral Neuroscience Society, Member (2014-present)
Organization for the Study of Sex Differences (OSSD), Member (2016-present)
Afghan Health Initiative, Member (2015-present)
FOED Committee, member (2003-2005)
Faculty Search Committee, Pharm Sci, co-chair (2006-2007)
Faculty Search Committee, Dept of Pharml Sci, Chair (2007-2008)
Recognition and Award Committee, Member (2008-2010)
Recognition and Award Committee, Chair-Elect (2010-2011); Chair (2011-2012)
Promotion and Tenure Committee, member (2008-2011)
Promotion and Tenure Committee, Chair-Elect (2011-2012); Chair (2012-2013)
Faculty Search Committee, Pharm Sci, member (2010-2011)
Departmental Allocation Committee, member (2011)
Annual Departmental Peer Assessment Committee, Chair (2012)
Pharmacy Faculty Assembly, Chair-Elect (2011-2012); Chair (2012-2013)
Recognition & Award Committee, member (2013 - 2015)
Curriculum Committee, Member (2014 – present)
Research Committee, member (07/05-04/06)
Research Committee, Chair (04/06-11/08)
IACUC, member (2004 - 2006)
IACUC, member (2006 - 2008)
IACUC, member (2008 - 2010)
IACUC, member (2010 - 2012)
IACUC, member (2012 - 2013)
IACUC, alternate member (2013 - present)
Grievance Committee, member (2013 - 2014)
GCBS Promotion & Tenure Committee, Chair (2012 - 2015)
GCBS Promotion & Tenure Committee, Member (2015 - present)
- Lutfy K, Parikh D, Lee DL, Liu Y, Ferrini MG, Hamid A, Friedman TC. Prohormone convertase 2 (PC2) null mice have increased mu opioid receptor levels accompanied by enhanced morphine-induced antinociception, tolerance and dependence. Neuroscience, 329: 318-325.
- Chan P, Lutfy K. Molecular Changes in Opioid Addiction: The Role of Adenylyl Cyclase and cAMP/PKA System. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 137: 203-27, 2016.
- Lutfy K, Zaveri NT. The Nociceptin Receptor as an Emerging Molecular Target for Cocaine Addiction. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 137: 149-181, 2016.
- Wang Y, Yan C, Liu L, Wang W, Du H, Fan W, Lutfy K, Jiang M, Friedman TC, Liu Y: 11β-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 shRNA ameliorates glucocorticoid-induced insulin resistance and lipolysis in mouse abdominal adipose tissue. Am J Physiol Endocrinol. Metab., 308: E84-95, 2015.
- Begum AN, Guoynes C, Cho J, Hao, J, Lutfy K, and Hong Y: Rapid generation of sub-type specific neurons and neural networks from human pluripotent stem cell-derived neurospheres. Stem Cell Res, 15: 731-741, 2015.
- Taylor AM, Roberts KW, Pradhan AA, Akbari HA, Walwyn W, Lutfy K, Carroll FI, Cahill CM, Evans CJ: Antinociception mediated by a k opioid receptor agonist is blocked by a d receptor agonist. Br J Pharmacol., 172: 691-702, 2015.
- Brestoff JR, Kim BS, Saenz SA, Stine RR, Monticelli LA, Sonnenberg GF, Thome JJ, Farber DL, Lutfy K, Seale P, Artis D: Group 2 innate lymphoid cells promote beiging of white adipose tissue and limit obesity. Nature, 519: 242-246, 2015.
- Wang Y, Liu L, Du H, Nagaoka Y, Fan W, Lutfy K, Friedman TC, Jiang M, Liu Y: Transgenic overexpression of hexose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in adipose tissue causes local glucocorticoid amplification and lipolysis in male mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab., 306: E543-551, 2014.
- Ren X, Lutfy K, Mangubat M, Ferrini MG, Lee ML, Liu Y, Friedman TC: Alterations in phosphorylated CREB in different regions following short- and long-term morphine exposure: Relationship to food intake. J Obes, 64742: 1-11, 2013.
- Nie Y, Ferrini MG, Liu Y, Anghel A, Espinosa EV, Stuart RC, Lutfy K, Nillni EA, Friedman TC: Morphine treatment selectively regulates expression of rat pituitary POMC and the prohormone convertases PC1/3 and PC2. Peptides, 47:99-109, 2013.
- Tseng A, Marquez P, Hamid A, Nguyen K, Garg M, Lutfy K: The role of endogenous beta-endorphin and enkephalins in ethanol reward. Neuropharmacology 73: 290-300, 2013.
- Du H, Wang Y, Nakagawa Y, Lyzlov A, Lutfy K, Friedman TC, Peng X, Liu Y: Specific reduction of G6PT may contribute to downregulation of hepatic 11-β-HSD1 in diabetic mice. Journal of Molecular Endocrinology 50: 167-178, 2013.
- Marquez P, Hamid A, Lutfy K: The role of NOP receptors in psychomotor stimulation and locomotor sensitization induced by cocaine and amphetamine in mice. European Journal of Pharmacology 707: 41-45, 2013.
- Nguyen AT, Marquez P, Hamid A, Kieffer B, Friedman TC, Lutfy K: The rewarding action of acute cocaine is reduced in β-endorphin deficient but not in µ opioid receptor knockout mice. European Journal of Pharmacology 686: 50-54, 2012.
- Nguyen A, Marquez P, Hamid A, and Lutfy K: The role of mu opioid receptors in psychomotor stimulation and conditioned place preference induced by morphine-6-glucuronide. European Journal of Pharmacology 682: 86-91, 2012.
- Tweed JO, Hsia SH, Lutfy K, Friedman TC: The endocrine effects of nicotine and cigarette smoke. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism 23: 334-342, 2012.
- Lutfy K, Aimiuwu O, Mangubat M, Shin C-S, Nerio N, Gomez R, Liu Y and Friedman TC: Nicotine stimulates secretion of corticosterone via both CRH and AVP receptors. Journal of Neurochemistry 120:1108-1116, 2012.
- Mangubat M, Lutfy K, Lee ML, Pulido L, Stout D, Davis R, Shin C-S, Shahbazian M, Seasholtz S, Sinha-Hikim A, Sinha-Hikim I, O’Dell L, Lyzlov A, Liu Y and Friedman TC: Effects of nicotine on body composition in mice. Journal of Neuroendocrinology 120: 1108-1116, 2012.
- Nguyen K, Tseng A, Marquez P, Hamid A and Lutfy K: The role of endogenous dynorphin in ethanol-induced state-dependent CPP, Behavioral Brain Research 227: 58-63, 2012.
- Wang Y, Nakagawa Y, Liu L, Wang W, Ren X, Anghel A, Lutfy K, Friedman TC, Liu Y: Tissue-specific dysregulation of hexose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase and glucose-6-phosphate transporter production in db/db mice as a model of type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia, 54: 440-450, 2011.
- Parikh D, Hamid A, Friedman TC, Nguyen K, Tseng A, Marquez P and Lutfy K: Stress-induced analgesia and endogenous opioid peptides: the importance of stress duration. European Journal of Pharmacology, 650: 563-567, 2011.
- Bebawy D, Marquez P, Samboul S, Parikh D, Hamid A and Lutfy K: Orphanin FQ/Nociceptin not only blocks but reverses behavioral adaptive changes induced by repeated cocaine in mice. Biological Psychiatry, 68: 223-230, 2010.
- Farhang B, Pietruszewski L, Lutfy K, Wagner EJ: The role of the NOP receptor in regulating food intake, meal pattern, and the excitability of proopiomelanocortin neurons. Neuropharmacology, 59: 190-192, 2010.
- Anghel A, Jamieson CA, Ren X, Young J, Porche R, Ozigbo E, Ghods DE, Lee ML, Liu Y, Lutfy K, Friedman TC: Gene expression profiling following short-term and long-term morphine exposure in mice uncovers genes involved in food intake. Neuroscience, 167: 554-566, 2010.
- Vuong C, Van Uum SH, O'Dell LE, Lutfy K, Friedman TC: The effects of opioids and opioid analogs on animal and human endocrine systems. Endocrine Review, 31: 98-132, 2010.
- Marquez P, Lelièvre V, Coûté A-C, Evans CJ and Waschek JA and Lutfy K: Attenuation of acute motor stimulatory and rewarding action of morphine in PACAP-deficient mice, Psychopharmacology, 204: 457-463, 2009.
- Espinosa VP, Liu Y, Ferrini M, Anghel A, Nie Y, Tripathi PV, Porche R, Jansen E, Stuart RC, Nillni EA, Lutfy K and Friedman TC: Differential regulation of prohormone convertase1/3, prohormone convertase 2 and phosphorylated cyclic-AMP-response element binding protein by short-term and long-term morphine treatment: Implications for understanding the “switch” to opiate addiction. Neuroscience 2008, 156, 788-799.
- Marquez P, Borse J, Nguyen AT, Hamid A and Lutfy K: The role of the opioid receptor-like (ORL1) receptor in the motor stimulatory and rewarding actions of buprenorphine and morphine. Neuroscience, 2008, 26, 597-602.
- Lutfy K, Lam H, Narayanan S: Alterations in the level of OFQ/N-IR in rat brain regions by cocaine. Neuropharmacology, 2008, 55, 198-203.
- Marquez P, Nguyen AT, Hamid A and Lutfy K: The endogenous OFQ/N/ORL-1 receptor system regulates the rewarding effects of acute cocaine. Neuropharmacology, 2008, 54, 564-568.
- Marquez P, Baliram R, Dabaja I, Gajawada N and Lutfy K: The role of beta-endorphin in the acute motor stimulatory and rewarding action of cocaine in mice. Psychopharmacology, 2008, 197, 443-448.
- Liu Y, Nakagawa Y, Wang Y, Liu L, Du H, Wang W, Ren X, Lutfy K and Friedman TC: Reduction of hepatic glucocorticoids receptor and hexose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase expression ameliorates diet-induced obesity and insulin resistance in mice. Journal Molecular Endocrinology, 2008, 41, 53-64.
- Marquez P, Baliram R, Kieffer B and Lutfy K. The mu opioid receptor is involved in buprenorphine-induced locomotor stimulation and conditioned place preference. Neuropharmacology, 2007, 52, 1336-1341.
- Espinosa VP, Ferrini M, Shen X, Lutfy K, Nillni E, Friedman TC. Cellular co-localization and co-regulation between hypothalamic pro-TRH and prohormone convertases in hypothyroidism. American Journal of Physiology, 2007, 292, E175-186.
- Liu Y, Yan C, Wang Y, Nakagawa Y, Nerio N, Anghel A, Lutfy K, Friedman TC. Liver X receptor agonist T0901317 inhibition of glucocorticoid receptor expression in hepatocytes may contribute to the amelioration of diabetic syndrome in db/db mice. Endocrinology, 2006, 147, 5061-5068.
- Lutfy K, Brown MC, Nerio N, Aimiuwu O, Tran B, Anghel A, Friedman TC. Repeated stress alters the ability of nicotine to activate the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. Journal of Neurochemistry, 2006, 99, 1321-1327.
- Marquez P, Baliram R, Gajawada N, Friedman TC, Lutfy K. Differential role of enkephalin in analgesic tolerance, locomotor sensitization and CPP induced by morphine. Behavioral Neuroscience, 2006, 120, 10-15.
- Khaliq IA, Farasat S, Ackerson L, Lutfy K. Cocaine fails to elevate pallidal glutamate in rats sensitized to cocaine, PharmacologyOnline, 2005, 1, 154-176.
- Liu Y, Nakagawa Y, Wang Y, Sakurai R, Tripathi PV, Lutfy K, Friedman TC. Increased glucocorticoid receptor and 11-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 expression in hepatocytes may contribute to the phenotype of type 2 diabetes in db/db mice. Diabetes, 2005, 54, 32-40.
- Lutfy K, Cowan A. Buprenorphine: A unique drug with complex pharmacology. Current Neuropharmacology, 2004, 2, 395-402.
- Narayanan S, Lam H, Carroll FI, Lutfy K. Orphanin FQ/nociceptin suppresses motor activity through an action along the mesoaccumbens axis in rats. Journal of Psychiatry et Neuroscience, 2004, 29, 116-123.
- Lutfy K, Eitan S, Bryant CD, Yang YC, Saliminijad N, Kieffer BL, Takeshima H, Carroll FI, Maidment NT, Evans CJ. Buprenorphine-induced antinociception is mediated by -opioid receptors and compromised by concomitant activation of opioid receptor-like receptors. Journal of Neuroscience, 2003, 23, 10331-10337.
- Lutfy K, Khaliq I, Carroll FI, Maidment NT. Orphanin FQ/nociceptin blocks cocaine-induced behavioral sensitization in rats. Psychopharmacology, 2002, 164, 168-176.