Li Zhong, PhD
Associate Professor of Physiology
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Join year: August 2010
M.S., Computer Science, Wayne State University College of Engineering, Detroit, MI, 2000
Ph.D., Physiology, Department of Physiology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, 1999
B.S., Biology, Hebei University, Baoding, China, 1985
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, MI, 1999-2001
Associate Professor, Department of Basic Medical Sciences, COMP, Western University of Health Sciences, 2010-present
Assistant Research Professor, Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, Duarte, CA, 2007-2010
Assistant Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY, 2003-2007
Senior Research Associate, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY, 2001-2003
Dr. Zhong's main training has been in the field of physiology and will be teaching the core physiology course.
Dr. Zhong’s research interests focus on early cancer detection using autoantibody profiles as biomarkers. They have developed novel screening technology for early detection of lung cancer using T7 phage display cDNA libraries and differential biopanning to isolate epitopes reacting with antibodies present specifically in the sera of patients with lung cancer. Using five combined biomarkers, they have achieved both sensitivity and specificity of 91.3 percent for stage I non-small cell lung cancer detection (Zhong, 2005), and sensitivity of 82.6 percent and specificity of 87.5 percent for detection of occult (one to five years prior to diagnosis) non-small cell lung cancer (Zhong, 2006). The results were much more sensitive and specific than the traditional biomarkers for lung cancer.
• NSFC, Zhong (PI), “Profile of autoantibody signatures for assessing susceptibility of NSCLC among heave smokers”, 2015-2018
• Genetics Biotechnology Inc., Zhong (PI), “Tumor markers for cancer detection and targeted therapy”, 2014-2017
• British American Tobacco, Zhong (PI), “Early detection of smoking-induced lung cancer”, 2014-2016
• NSFC, Zhong (PI),“Prognosis significance of autoantibody markers in resectable NSCLC”, 2013-2013-2016
• NIH/NCI R21, Zhong (PI), “Profiling autoantibodies for early detection of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma”, 2009-2011
• Research subcontract from NCI, Zhong (PI), “Proteomic approaches to esophageal squamous cell carcinoma diagnostics”, 2008-2010
• NIH R01, Zhong (Co-PI), “Autoantibodies as marker of NSCLC”, 2003 –2009
• VA Merit Review, Zhong (Co-PI), “Detection of Tumor Markers in Peripheral Blood of Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Patients”, 2003 –2005
- Wang, J.; Dong, X.; Cao, L,; Sun, Y.; Qiu, Y.; Zhang,Y.; Cao, R.; Covasa, M.; Zhong, L. (2016) Association between telomere length and diabetes mellitus: A meta-analysis. Journal of International Medical Research, Vol. 44(6) 1156-1173.
- Zhang, X.; Gazy, N.; Li, H.; Shen, Z.; Bae, C.; Zhong, L. (2015) Effects of Water extracts from Yunnan Baiyao on proliferation of lung cancer and underlying mechanisms.
- Shen, W.; Cao, Y.; Wang, W.; Cha, L.; Ying, X.; Zhang, W.; Ge, K.; Zhang, X.; Li, W.; Zhong, L. (2015) Predicting linear B-cell epitopes using amino acid anchoring pair composition. Biodata Mining (under review).
- Gazy, N.; Li, H.; Zhang, X.; Fuchs, S.; Venketaraman, V.; Martin, J.; Zhong, L. (2015) Investigating the efficacy of six chemical compounds on down-regulation of TNFalpha production in macrophages in response to protein kinase C activation by phorbol myristate acetate. Journal of Investigative Medicine. 63:212.
- Bae, C.; Li, H.; Zhang, X.; Zhong, L. (2015) Investigating the effects of adipose derived stem cells and fetal lung fibroblasts on lung cancer proliferation. Journal of Investigative Medicine. 63:210.
- Zhong, L.; Zhang, X.; Covasa,M. (2014) Emerging roles of lactic acid bacteria in colorectal cancer. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 20(24):7878-7886.
- Lowe, F.; Zhang, X.; Wang, H.; Zu, J.; Shen W.; Zhong, L. (2014) A Novel Auto-antibody Test for the Detection of Pre-neoplastic Lung Lesions. Molecular Cancer. 13:78.
- Zhang X, Shen W, Dong X, Fan J, Liu L, Gao X, Kernstine KH, Zhong L. Identification of novel autoantibodies for detection of malignant mesothelioma. PLoS One. 2013 Aug 19;8(8).
- Dong X, Yang M, Sun H, Lü J, Zheng Z, Li Z, Zhong L. Combined measurement of CA 15-3 with novel autoantibodies improves diagnostic accuracy for breast cancer. Onco Targets Ther. 2013 March;6:273-9.
- Zhang B, Zhang Z, Zhang X, Gao X, Kernstine KH, Zhong L. Serological antibodies against LY6K as a diagnostic biomarker in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Biomarkers. 2012 Jun;17(4):372-8.
- Zhou JH, Zhang B, Kernstine KH, Zhong L. Autoantibodies against MMP-7 as a novel diagnostic biomarker in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol. 2011 Mar 14;17(10):1373-8.
- Zhong L, Zhang W, Zer C, Zhao L, Ge K, Gao X and Kernstine KH. Protein Microarray: Sensitive and Effective Immunodetection for Drug Residues. BMC Biotechnol. 2010 Feb 16;10:12.
Invited Presentations (Selected)
- Novel biomarkers for non-small cell lung cancer. Hebei University, Baoding, China. June 7, 2015
- Development of blood tumor marker tests for early cancer detection. Hebei Agriculture University College of Life Sciences, China. Jun 11, 2014.
- British American Tobacco in Southampton, UK. Identification of biomarkers for smoking induced lung cancer. May 14, 2013.
- Hebei University College of Life Sciences, Baoding, China. Combined analysis of serological biomarkers for early cancer detection. June 26, 2012
- 7th Early Detection Research Network (EDRN) Scientific Workshop, Combined measurement of serological tumor-associated antigen and autoantibody for detection of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. September 13-16, 2011, Washington DC.
- International Conference of Wnt Signaling, Organogenesis and Stem Cells, Xiamen, China. 2009.
- American College of Surgeons Oncology Group (ACOSOG) annual meeting in Chicago. Cancer markers in blood samples. 2008.
- Group Research and Development of British American Tobacco Co. Ltd, London, UK. Autoantibodies as Biomarkers for Lung Cancer. 2008.
- The 2nd International Esophageal & Cardiac Cancer Summit, Beijing China. Developing autoantibody tests for detection of ESCC. 2007.
University of Santiago de Compostela School of Medicine, Santiago, Spain. Autoantibody profile in lung cancer. 2007.