Sebastien Fuchs, PhD
Assistant Professor of Pharmacology
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Phone: 5232 | Join year: August 2013
M.D., University Paris VI / European Hospital Georges Pompidou, Paris, France, 2003
Ph.D., University Paris VII / College de France, Paris, France, 2002
M.S., Biochemistry, University Paris V, Paris, France, 1993
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 2002-2006
Predoctoral and Doctoral Training, Vascular Pathology and Renal Endocrinology, INSERM U36 – Collège de France, Paris, France, 1991-2002
Student rotation in Mouse Transgenesis, Department of Molecular Genetics, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, Summer 1994
Since 2013 Assistant Professor of Pharmacology
Department of Basic Medical Sciences
Western University of Health Sciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
2008-2013 Assistant Professor
Department of Biomedical Sciences and
Department Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (Los Angeles, CA)
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Emory University (Atlanta, GA)
1997-1998 Military Physician, officer. (National Defense Bronze Medal)
- 1994-1996 Hospital practice: residency and internship in multiple hospitals in Paris France
- 2012 – present Academic Editor for PlosOne
Assistant Professor of Pharmacology, Western University of Health Sciences, COMP, Dept. of BMS, 2013-present
Assistant Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, 2008-2012
Instructor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 2006- 2008
Cardiovascular System (CARDIO)
Renal System (RENAL)
Reproductive System (REPRO)
The Physician and Society I (PAS I): introduction to research
I am studying the biochemistry and physiology of Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme (ACE) in vivo in genetically modified animals. Beside blood pressure, ACE is involved in many other function including peptide presentation (immunology), extracellular matrix control (end-organ damages), male fertility, Alzheimer's disease.
My current areas of research are organ fibrosis (inflammation and extracellular matrix processing) and Alzheimer's disease.
I have acquired numerous scientific/technical skills (molecular biology: DNA manipulation, mutation, plasmid construction and analysis, animal genetic models, biochemistry, cellular biology, in vivo experimentation, animal physiology).
The CART Fund for Alzheimer Research. Award, 2012-2014
RO0 phase of NIH/NHLBI Pathway to Independence Award (K99/RO0 HL088000), 2008-2011
K99 phase of NIH/NHLBI Pathway to Independence Award (K99/RO0 HL088000), 2006-2008
Beginning Grant in Aid from the “American Heart Association” (0665176B), 2006-2008
Research fellowship from the “National Kidney Foundation”, 2004-2006
Grant for foreign post-doctoral fellowship from INSERM, 2002-2003
Grant fellowship from “Academie Nationale de medecine”, 2001-2002
Doctoral fellowship from the French Ministry for Scientific Research, 1998-2001
Predoctoral fellowship from “Fondation pour la Recherche Medicale”, 1997-1998
Fellowship for foreign training program from “Fondation pour la Recherche, Medicale”, 1994
- Giani JF., Janjulia T., Kamat N., Seth DM., Blackwell WL., Shah KH., Shen ZS., Fuchs S., Delpire E., Toblli JE., Bernstein KE., McDonough AA. and Gonzalez-Villalobos RA. Renal Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Is Essential for the Hypertension Induced by Nitric Oxide Synthesis Inhibition. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 Dec;25(12):2752-63.
- Bernstein KE., Koronyo Y., Salumbides B., Sheyn J. Pelissier L., Lopes DHJ., Shah KH., Bernstein EA., Fuchs DT., Yu J., Pham M., Black KL., Xiao ZH., Fuchs S. and Koronyo-Hamaoui M. Angiotensin-converting enzyme overexpression in myelomonocytes prevents Alzheimer’s-like cognitive decline. J Clin Invest. 2014;124(3):1000–1012.
- Gonzalez-Villalobos RA., Jandjoulia T., Fletcher NK., Giani JF., Nguyen MT., Riquier-Brison AD., Seth DM., Fuchs S., Eladari D., Picard N., Bachmann S., Delpire E., Peti-Peterdi J., Navar LG., Bernstein KE. and McDonough AA. The absence of intrarenal ACE protects against hypertension. J Clin Invest.2013, May 1;123(5):2011-2023
- Bernstein KE., Ong FS., Blackwell WB., Shah KH., Giani JF., Gonzalez-Villalobos RA., Shen XZ., Fuchs S. A modern understanding of the traditional and non-traditional biological functions of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE). Pharmacol Rev, 2012 Dec 20;65(1):1-46.
- Shen XZ., Ong FS., Bernstein EA., Janjulia T., Blackwell WL., Shah KH., Taylor BL., Gonzalez-Villalobos RA., Fuchs S., Bernstein KE. Nontraditional roles of angiotensin-converting enzyme. Hypertens. 2012 Apr;59(4):763-8.
- Ong FS., Lin CX., Campbell DJ., Okwan-Duodu D., Chen X., Blackwell WLB., Shah KH., Gonzalez-Villalobos RA., Shen, XZ. and Fuchs S., Bernstein KE. Increased angiotensin II induced hypertension and inflammatory cytokines in mice lacking angiotensin converting enzyme N-domain activity. Hypertens. 2012 Feb;59(2):283-90.
- Bernstein KE, Shen XZ, Gonzalez-Villalobos RA, Billet S, Okwan-Duodu D, Ong FS, and Fuchs S. Different in vivo functions of the two catalytic domains of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE). Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2011 Apr;11(2):105-11.
- Gonzalez-Villalobos RA, Billet S, Kim C, Satou R, Fuchs S, Bernstein KE, and Navar LG. Intrarenal angiotensin-converting enzyme induces hypertension in response to angiotensin I infusion. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011 Mar;22(3):449-59.
- Okwan-Duodu D, Datta V, Shen XZ, Goodridge HS, Bernstein EA, Fuchs S, Liu GY, and Bernstein KE. Angiotensin-converting enzyme overexpression in mouse myelomonocytic cells augments resistance to Listeria and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Biol Chem. 2010 Dec 10;285(50):39051-60
- Li P, Xiao HD, Xu J, Ong FS, Kwon M, Roman J, Gal A, Bernstein KE, and Fuchs S. Angiotensin-converting enzyme N-terminal inactivation alleviates bleomycin-induced lung injury. Am J Pathol. 2010 Sep; 177 (3) :1113-21.
Invited Talks and Abstracts
- S. Fuchs. “Angiotensin-Independent Functions of Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme” XX Brazilian Society Congress of Hypertension, August 2012, Sao Paulo, Brazil (invited speaker)
- S. Fuchs, P. Li, RA. Gonzalez-Villalobos, KE. Bernstein. “Importance of the N-terminal site of angiotensin-converting enzyme and AcSDKP in the control of fibrosis” Gordon Research Conference, 2012 February 26 - March 2, 2012, Ventura, CA, (poster).
- S. Fuchs, P. Li, RA. Gonzalez-Villalobos, KE. Bernstein. “The tetrapeptide SDKP protects from bleomycin-induced lung injury.” Gordon Research Conference, August 14-19, 2011, Newport, RI. (poster).
- S. Fuchs “Importance of the N-terminal site of angiotensin-converting enzyme and AcSDKP in the control of fibrosis” Experimental Biology 2011, April 10, 2011, Washington DC, (invited speaker).
- S. Fuchs “ACE inactivation to treat lung fibrosis? Lessons from animal models” BATSSS, April 7, 2010, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA. (poster).