Associate Professor Immunology and Immunogenetics
College of Veterinary Medicine
Join year: 2007
2001 PhD in Molecular Biology, Children's Hospital University Tübingen, Germany
1997 Dipl. Biol (equivalent to Masters Degree in Biology) University Tübingen, Germany
2013-current Associate Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine, WUHS, CA
2007-2013 Assistant Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine, WUHS, CA
2004-2007 Postdocteral Fellowship at the Veterinary College Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
2000-2003 Postdoctoral Fellowship at University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, MA
Problem Based Learning
Veterinary virology/molecular biology/immunology classes
Problem Based Learning
My interests are innate immunity, specifically in response to viruses and the underlying genetic mechanisms of disease resistance or immunogenetics.
My major area of research currently is the investigation of underlying genetic and epigenetic mechanisms of the immune response resulting in differences of disease resistance.
I am also working on several projects looking at macrophage responses after viral infection, (avian influenza (AIV), infectious bronchitis virus (IBV) and feline infectious peritonitis virus (FIPV)). We are looking at functional differences of macrophages in response to these viruses and what the genetic factors are influencing this response.
1. Drechsler Yvonne, Collisson Ellen, Diniz Pedro, Bossong Frank, 2010-2012: Identifying Genetic Determinants Differentiating Feline Coronavirus and Peritonitis Virus Pathotypes, Morris Animal Foundation $108,000. (Primary Investigator)
2. Drechsler Yvonne, 2010-2011: Genetic regions involved in Coronavirus Nephropathogenesis. Western University Intramural Grant $15000 (Primary Investigator).
3. Collisson, E.W., PI, Drechsler Y, Barr M, Terra R, Gordon Ross P. (2010-2012) USDA Avian Influenza Cooperative Agricultural Program, Avian Influenza Education for Families with Backyard Poultry in Southern California. $83,915. (Co-PI)
4. Collisson E.W., PI, Drechsler Y, Dawes M and Irizarry K. (2008-2011) USDA-NRI, Competitive grants program, “Impact of immune responses of chickens with defined B haplotypes on resistence to respiratory coronavirus infection.” $375,000. (Co-PI).
5. PI, Jill Adler Moore (Cal Poly), Collisson EW, Drechsler Y, 2010-2012State University Agricultural Research Initiative “Combination liposomal and DNA vaccine technologies for development of non-infectious influenza vaccines for protecting poultry,” $150,000 (Co-Investigator)
6. Collisson E.W. Drechsler Y: Surro Immune (Surro Immunology) 2010-2011. “Effects of caprine arthritis encephalitis virus on macrophage and T lymphocyte function,” $40,116. (Co-PI).
7. Drechsler Y 2008-2009: Development of IBV as viral vectors for HA of avian influenza. Western University Intramural Grant $22000 (Primary Investigator).
8. Collisson E.W. PI, Drechsler Y. 2006-2009Federal Wildlife Service, “Controlling for the REV Threat to the Endangered Attwater’s Prairie Chicken,” $50,000/year for 5 years ($250,000). (Co-PI).
Pfizer Research Award 2011
American Society of Virology
American Association of Immunology
Student Affairs Committee
Irizarry KJL, Downs E, Bryden R, Clark J, Griggs L, Kopulos R, Boettger CM, Carr TJ Jr, Keeler CL, Collisson E, Drechsler Y. RNA sequencing demonstrates large-scale temporal dysregulation of gene expression in stimulated macrophages derived from MHC-defined chicken haplotypes. PLoS One. 2017 Aug 28;12(8)
Collisson E, Griggs L, Drechsler Y. Macrophages from disease resistant B2 haplotype chickens activate T lymphocytes more effectively than macrophages from disease susceptible B19 birds. Dev Comp Immunol. 2017 Feb;67:249-256.
Eric J. Fish, Pedro Paulo V. P. Diniz, Yen-Chen Juan, Frank Bossong, Ellen W. Collisson, Yvonne Drechsler, Bernhard Kaltenboeck. A cross-sectional quantitative RT-PCR study of feline coronavirus viremia and replication in peripheral blood of healthy shelter cats in Southern California. J Feline Med and Surgery, Apr 1, 2017
Irizarry KJ, Chan A, Kettle D, Kezian S, Ma D, Palacios L, Li Q, Keeler CL, Drechsler Y. Bioinformatics Analysis of Chicken miRNAs Associated with Monocyte to Macrophage Differentiation and Subsequent IFNgStimulated Activation. Microrna. 2016 Nov 29.
Dawes ME, Griggs L, Collisson EW, Drechsler Y: Dramatic differences in the response of macrophages from B2 and B19 MHC-defined haplotypes to interferon gamma and polyinosinic:polycytidylic acid stimulation. Poultry Science 93 (4): 830-838. 2014
Drechsler Y, Tkalcic S, Shrivaprasad H.L., Ajithdoss DK, Saggese M, Collisson EW. “Partial protection against reticuloendotheliosis virus challenge in the prairie chicken (tympanicus cupido) by a DNA vaccine.” J Zoo Wildl Med Jun; 44(2):251-61. 2013
Drechsler Y, Alcaraz A, Bossong F.J., Collisson EW, Diniz PPVP: “Feline Coronavirus in Multicat Environments.” Vet Clin Small Anim 41, 1133–1169. 2011
Drechsler Y, Bohls RL, Smith R, Silvy N, Lillehoy H, Collisson EW: An avian, oncogenic retrovirus replicates in vivo in more than fifty percent of CD4+ and CD8+ T lymphocytes from an endangered grouse. Virology 386(2):380-6, 2009.
Drechsler Y, Dolganiuc A, Norkina O, Romics L, Li W, Kodys K, Bach FH, Mandrekar P, Szabo G: Heme oxygenase-1 mediates the anti-inflammatory effects of acute alcohol on IL-10 induction involving p38 MAPK activation in monocytes. J Immunol 177(4): 2592-2600, 2006.
Drechsler Y, Chavan S, Catalano D, Mandrekar P, Szabo G: FcgR crosslinking mediates NFkB activation, reduced antigen presentation capacity, and decreased IL-12 production in monocytes without modulation of myeloid dendritic cell development. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 72(4):657-67, 2002.
Romics L, Mandrekar P, Kodys K, Velayudham A, Drechsler Y, Dolganiuc A, Szabo G: Increased lipopolysaccharide sensitivity in alcoholic fatty livers is independent of leptin deficiency and toll/like receptor 4 (TLR4) or TLR2 mRNA expression. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 29(6): 1018-1026, 2005.
Romics L, Dolganiuc A, Kodys K, Drechsler Y, Oak S, Velayudham A, Mandrekar P, Szabo G: Selective priming to Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4), not TLR2, ligands by P. acnes involves up-regulation of MD-2 in mice. Hepatology. 40(3): 555-564, 2004.
Publications under my maiden name (Brockmann). Both publications by Neu S are actually my work from my PhD thesis, but at the time I was graduating the PI would frequently be the first author.
Gessler P. Neu S. Brockmann Y. Speer CP. Decreased mRNA expression of G-CSF receptor in cord blood neutrophils of term newborns: regulation of expression by G-CSF and TNF-alpha. Biology of the Neonate. 77(3):168-73, 2000.
Neu S, Brockmann Y, Grau R, Geiselhart A, Speer CP: KIR expression by neonatal and adult cytotoxic CD56+ cells. Pediatric Research. 44: 444, 1998.
Neu S, Geiselhart A, Brockmann Y, Speer CP: Immunomagnetic enrichment of neonatal and adult cytotoxic CD56+ cells. Pediatric Research. 44: 448, 1998.