F-1 Student Transfer

F-1 Student Transfer

Transfer In Procedures:

F-1 regulations permit a student to transfer from one Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) approved school to another. To do this, both schools must update the student’s record in SEVIS.

After you have been accepted to WesternU, it is your responsibility to notify your current institution of your intent to transfer to WesternU.

Please follow the instructions below so a transfer of schools in the SEVIS system can be processed.

  • Completed WesternU F-1 Transfer-In Form
    Note: The Transfer form is in PDF format and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader® to view it.
    To download a free copy, please visit our Plug-Ins page
  • Current proof of financial support for one (1) year of enrollment at WesternU (refer to the Financial Aid web page for student budget information).
    Please provide one of the following documents: an official statement or letter from your bank; a letter of affidavit of support from a company or international sponsor or any combination of proof of funding that will equal one year of enrollment at WesternU.
  • Photocopy of I-20 from the school you are currently attending.
  • Photocopy of your passport and I-94 card.


Transfer Out Procedures:

In order to be eligible to transfer your SEVIS record to another school, you must be currently maintaining your F-1 status.  Your new school start date must be within 5 months of your transfer out date in SEVIS. If you have already graduated, you must be within your 60-day grace period. 

To request a transfer out, please provide the following documents:

  • Completed Transfer Out Form
  • A copy of your new school’s offer of admission letter

Please be sure to discuss your transfer release date with your new school’s international student advisor.  Your transfer release date is the date that your new school will have access to your SEVIS record.