Employment Overview

There are two types of employment opportunities that exist for F-1 students:

  • On-campus employment
  • Off-campus employment

Each type of employment has specific rules and regulations that international students must abide by. Before beginning any employment you must receive the appropriate approval from your DSO.

Working improperly or without authorization is a serious violation of your F-1 status. You should consult your DSO if you have any questions regarding employment. It is your responsibility to comply with all immigration regulations which apply to F-1 students. If you fail to comply with your responsibilities, you may not be eligible for benefits normally granted to F-1 students.



There are few opportunities for on campus employment at WesternU.

On-campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session. Full-time employment is permitted during official school breaks, annual vacation and holidays. Students must be pursuing a full course of study, or, if employed during annual vacation, intend to register for the next academic term.

On-Campus Employment Procedures

Once you have secured employment on-campus, you will need to submit a letter of employment to your DSO. The letter should include:

  • Campus department where you will be working
  • Type of employment
  • Beginning date of employment
  • Number of work hours per week
  • Name of supervisor

Picture of WesternU Patient Care Center buildingAfter submission of your employment letter, you will be notified by your DSO whether or not you can begin working. Please be sure to allow 1-2 weeks for processing prior to the start date of employment.

If you change employer or terminate your employment with an employer you must notify your DSO.