The mission of the CPM Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Committee is to help create a more culturally responsive learning environment and medical profession by implementing humanistic learning practices that celebrates diversity, promotes inclusion, and fosters allyship.
Enable all CPM faculty, staff, and students to advocate, practice, and manage patient care in a variety of communities, health care settings, and living arrangements with professionalism, compassion, and concern in an ethical fashion regardless of a person’s social class, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, culture, racial or ethnic background.
Areas of focus include but are not limited to:
- Provide learning opportunities to all CPM members to engage in humanistic learning that addresses topics such as systemic racism, implicit/ explicit bias, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender equity, sexism, age, cultural sensitivity, disability, and allyship within higher education, the field of Podiatric Medicine, and the healthcare system.
- Promote resources that will help empower all faculty, staff, and students to effectively engage in the understanding and consequences of prejudices, implicit bias, health disparities, inequalities and inequities that exists within higher education, the field of Podiatric Medicine, and the healthcare system.
- Uphold the University’s humanistic mission by actively supporting the DEI initiatives set forth by the Vice President for Humanism, Equity, and Anti-Racism.
- Seek out expertise and collaborative opportunities with other WesternU colleges as well as external organizations.
- Work as a bridge of communication between student led DEI initiatives and CPM to help promote awareness of resources and opportunities for engagement.
- Ensure that CPM students are aware of resources and feel supported by faculty, staff, and administration.
- Create and distribute surveys to identify needs and gauge impact of work. Share and prioritize findings to identify future opportunities and to support future development of DEI.