In 1996 Founding President, Philip Pumerantz, PhD, gathered a committee of students, faculty, administrators, staff and board members to explore ways of encouraging and integrating humanistic principles into the environment and academic programs at WesternU, creating The Humanism and Diversity Committee. As part of this committee, a second-year COMP student, Yolanda Suarez, DO ’99, suggested creating a scholarly journal. With the enthusiastic support of the committee, and newly appointed faculty advisor, Dr. Nadir Khan, Suarez became the first editor-in-chief of the magazine along with editor Edward Deng, PharmD ’00. A financial gift from Dr. Maria Simms, a prominent Los Angeles business woman and physician, allowed the first issue of Humanism in the Health Sciences magazine to be published November of 1996.
In 2013, a generous gift from Dr. Suarez created the Yolanda B. Suarez, DO, Class of 1999, Humanism in the Health Sciences Journal Endowment. Gifts to this endowment will ensure the continued publication of this award-winning magazine. To give a gift to this fund, please visit https://alumnifriends.westernu.edu/ and click on the GIVE NOW button to see this fund in the menu of giving opportunities.
Each year, a new interprofessional group of student editors decide the theme, solicit and edit submissions. Over the last 22 years, the magazine has won 8 awards.
“To preserve our humanistic tradition, we need to be in an ongoing process of reflection. We should study and identify ways to instill this philosophy into all our educational processes and into the lives of each member of the WesternU family. It is my conviction that if our students are immersed in a culture of humanistic caregiving, they will spend their careers deeply involved in the welfare of their patients.”
Philip Pumerantz, PhD, Founding President, Western University of Health Sciences
“Our Humanistic Tradition,” Humanism in the Health Sciences, Volume 1, Number 1, Winter 1996
Awards of Excellence
- 2016 – Bronze Award: Annual Magazines for the 2015 issue “Cultivating Identity”
- 2015 – Bronze Award: Annual Magazines for the 2014 issue “Pulse of Life”
- 2013 – Gold Award: Communications & Marketing Programs, Internal Audience Periodicals for the 2012 issue “A Journey”
- 2012 – Gold Award: Communications & Marketing Programs, Internal Audience Periodicals for the 2011 issue “Expanding Horizons”
Excellence in Communications Awards
- 2015 – Second Place: Best Magazine for the 2014 issue “Pulse of Life”
- 2010 – Second Place: Best one-of-a-kind or Special Publication for the 2009 issue “Change, Making it Happen”
- 2009 – Second Place: Best one-of-a-kind or Special Publication for the 2008 issue “Where We’ve Been, Where We’re Going”
- 2005 – First Place: Best Magazine for the 2004 issue “Excellence, Humanism, Motivation”