Postponing Jury Duty
Students who receive a jury summons with an appearance date falling within their current term of study may request to have their Jury Duty be postponed via the Office of the Registrar. When you receive a summons from the Court, please follow steps listed below. Please send in your request as early as possible to give our office time to process your Jury Duty letter.
- Fill out your portion of your Jury Summons
- Print and fill out the Verification Request Form
- Attach the summons to the Verification Request form and submit both forms to the Office of the Registrar
- A Jury Duty Letter will be issued to the student, who is responsible for submitting the letter to the court.
- **Call the courthouse at least 1 week prior to the scheduled date on your Jury Summons to confirm your request to postpone Jury Duty was granted. The Office of the Registrar does not guarantee excusal from jury duty.
Typically, California courts will postpone Jury Duty up to 3 months, however; your postponement date may fall on a date that you are currently enrolled in a future term of study. If this happens, you will need to follow steps 1-5 listed above again. If you submit your request to our office less than 3 business days prior to your scheduled appearance date, please let our office know so we can process the letter immediately. To ensure that you are not “Held in Contempt of Court” for not showing up to Jury Duty on your scheduled date, you may be required to hand carry the letter to the respective courthouse to request a postponement.