Using your Veterans Educational Benefits at WesternU
Western University of Health Sciences has approval from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to certify students eligible to receive VA educational benefits. The School Certifying Officials that are located on the Pomona, California campus assist all students who receive VA educational benefits. We cannot assist you with determining your eligibility for benefits. To determine if you are eligible, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs directly.
Western University of Health Sciences also has approval from the California State Approving Agency for Veterans Education (CSAAVE).
Western University of Health Sciences participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. Eligible students will receive $2,000 per academic year from WesternU towards tuition & fee expenses that exceed the tuition and fee amounts payable under the Post 9/11 GI Bill. The VA will then match the $2,000 on top of what they are already paying out, per academic year. You may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program benefit if you:
- Served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months and were honorably discharged;
- Were discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001; or
- Are a dependent who received benefits transferred from an eligible Service Member
Please view the Yellow Ribbon Pamphlet for additional information on eligibility requirements.
GI Bill Benefit Programs:
- Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program (Chapter 31)
- Veterans Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32)
- Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
- Transfer of Entitlement (TOE)
- Marine Gunnery Sergeant David Fry Scholarship
- Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
- Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
School Certifying Officials
|Kimberley M. de Kruif, MBA Asst. VP of Enrollment Mgmt/University Registrar Office of the Registrar 309 E 2nd Street Pomona, CA 91766-1854 Phone: (909) 469-5342 Fax: (909) 469-5425 E-mail: email@example.com||Crystal R. Latimore Senior Registration/Operations Specialist Office of the Registrar 309 E Second Street Pomona, CA 91766-1854 Phone: (909) 469-5502 Fax: (909) 469-5425 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org|
If you have received a notification from the Department of Veterans Affairs that you are eligible to receive educational benefits, submit the following documents to the School Certifying Official:
- DD214 Discharge Document or Notice of Basic Eligibility Form 2384
VA Form 1905 required per academic year for Chapter 31
Certificate of Eligibility
If you have used your educational benefits at another university prior to enrolling at WesternU, please also complete and return the form listed below.
Once you have submitted the appropriate documents to the School Certifying Official and have registered for classes, your certification of enrollment will be submitted to the VA electronically. Please allow at least 6-8 weeks for payment to be processed by the VA.
In order to comply with the laws governing the Department of Veterans Affairs benefits, it is your responsibility as a student to notify the School Certifying Official of any change in status with the University, which may include when you:
- Add or drop a class(es)
- Change your address
- Withdraw from the University
- Repeat a course
Only courses that are required for your degree program are eligible for certification.
Want to know more about YOUR VA benefits?
Western University of Health Sciences has agreed to the Executive Order 13607
“Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses, and Other Family Members”.