WesternU requires that investigators who wish to participate in research complete the required Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) prior to engaging in any university approved research project.
All persons with a significant role in a research project must meet these training requirements. This includes, but may not be limited to the following persons:
- Principal Investigator and Co-Investigator(s).
- Persons named on a study grant or contract proposal.
- Persons named as a contact person in an informed consent document or recruitment material.
- Persons who obtain informed consent from prospective research participants.
- Staff members / Students assigned to work with the PI.
- IRB members.
- IACUC members.
- Non-WesternU, pre- approved visitors / researchers listed on an approved protocol.
Most of the training must be recertified every three years, while others may require more frequent recertification. Approval to proceed with any research project will be withheld if these mandatory training requirements are not met.
Completion of this training does not grant permission to conduct research. All projects must first be reviewed and approved by the appropriate university oversight committees, e.g., IRB, IBC, IACUC, before the research may begin or be allowed to continue. Contact the Research Regulatory Coordinator Office at 909-469-5606 for assistance.
The following instructions should assist you in registering for CITI training.
CITI Program New User Registration: www.citiprogram.org
From home page: Select Register *** DO NOT SELECT LOG IN THROUGH MY INSTITUTION***
STEP 1: Select Your Organization Affiliation
Select Your Organization Affiliation
Type in Western University of Health Sciences and select when it appears in the list.
Once WesternU is selected, a prompt pops up that reads:
Western University of Health Sciences requires a CITI Program username/password for access. You will create this username and password in step 2 of registration.
You must AGREE to the Terms of Service for accessing CITI Program materials and AFFIRM that you are an affiliate of Western University of Health Sciences.
NOW hit continue to create your new CITI program username/password.
STEP 2: Personal Information
STEP 3: Create Username/Password
STEP 4: Country
STEP 5: CE Question Please note: CE is available, but is NOT paid for by WesternU. If added, each individual is responsible for the purchase of CE units.
STEP 6: Western University of Health Sciences Profile Select the role that best describes your scope of research for each question, a drop down list is provided.
Question 1- Human Subject Research
- Biomedical Research Investigators
- Social & Behavioral Research Investigators
- Students (as researchers or subjects)
- IRB Members
- Institutional Official
- Stem Cell Research
Question 2- IO / IRB Chair – Select only if you are the Institution Official or IRB Chair
Question 3- Conflict Of Interest
- Research related Staff
Question 4: Responsible Conduct of Research
Research Faculty and Staff
Question 5: IACUC Laboratory Animal Research
Do you conduct studies that use Lab animals?
If YES, then you must complete the Basic course and the appropriate species specific modules.
If you are an IACUC Member you should complete the “Essentials for IACUC Members”.
Choose the appropriate species specific electives according to your research interests.
Question 6: Bio Safety
- Biosafety Officer
- IBC Members
- IRB, IACUC Members
- Institutional Official
- Shipping & Receiving
Question 7: Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
- GCP for Clinical Trials with Investigational Drugs and Medical Devices (U.S. FDA Focus)
- GCP for Clinical Investigations of Devices
- GCP for Clinical Trials with Investigational Drugs and Biologics (ICH Focus)
- GCP – Social and Behavioral Research Best Practices for Clinical Research
Question 8: Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
Good Laboratory Practice required for all research conducted in laboratory
Question 9: Laboratory Chemical Safety
Laboratory safety course required for all research conducted within laboratory
Once your registration is complete, log in with your user name/password. Your required course(s), specified by your selected role, will be listed under your Western University of Health Sciences Courses Click on the Course(s) you must take and begin. Your Certificate of Completion will be listed and available under Completion Record for easy access.
All Personnel (Students, Staff and Faculty) involved in research must take the following CITI training:
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Basic Course
- Conflicts of Interest (COI) Basic Course
If you are involved in specialized research, you must take other CITI training as noted below:
- If you are listed in any research overseen by the IRB, you must complete the following CITI Training.
Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Students– Students as Researchers or Subjects Course
- PI- Co-I – (course specific to scope of individual research)
Social and Behavioral Research Basic Course
Biomedical Research Basic Course
- Good Clinical Practice (course specific to scope of clinical research)
- Anyone that works in a research laboratory at WesternU must take the following CITI training:
Laboratory Safety Compliance
- All researchers – Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
- All researchers– Laboratory Chemical Safety Basic Course
- In addition to the Laboratory Safety Compliance in Part 2, if you are working on laboratory research that is overseen by any of the following committees (IACUC, IBC, SCROC) you must additionally take the CITI Training that corresponds to the committee/s listed:
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
- All Researchers (PI, Co-I, staff, students, non WesternU researchers listed on approved protocol)
Researchers (ACU) basic course
- Species specific courses– Select the species you will be working with for related courses.
- Animal technicians-Animal Technicians (ACU)
Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
- All Researchers– Researchers (BSS)
- Shipping and Receiving (BSS) Basic Course
Stem Cell Research Oversight Committee (SCROC)
- All Researchers– Stem Cell Research Oversight Basic Course