WesternU requires that investigators who wish to participate in research complete the required Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) course(s) prior to engaging in any university approved research project.
Most of the training must be recertified every three years, while others may require more frequent recertification.
Approval to proceed with any research project will be withheld if these mandatory training requirements are not met.
All persons with a significant role in a research project must meet these training requirements. This includes, but is not limited to the following persons:
- Principal Investigator and Co-Investigator(s).
- Persons named on a study grant or contract proposal.
- Persons named as a contact person in an informed consent document or recruitment material.
- Persons who obtain informed consent from prospective research participants.
- Staff members/ Students assigned to work with the PI.
- IRB members
- IACUC members
- Non-WesternU ,pre- approved visitors / researchers listed on an approved protocol.
Completion of this training does not grant permission to conduct research. All projects must first be reviewed and approved by the appropriate university oversight committees, e.g., IRB, IBC, IACUC, before the research may begin or be allowed to continue. Contact the Office of Research Regulatory Affairs at 909-469-5606 for assistance.
The following instructions should assist you in registering for CITI training.
CITI Program New User Registration: www.citiprogram.org
From home page: Select Register *** DO NOT SELECT LOG IN THROUGH MY INSTITUTION***
Select Your Organization Affiliation
Type in Western University of Health Sciences and select when it appears in the list.
Once WesternU is selected, a prompt pops up that reads:
Western University of Health Sciences requires a CITI Program username/password for access. You will create this username and password in step 2 of registration.
You must AGREE to the Terms of Service for accessing CITI Program materials and AFFIRM that you are an affiliate of Western University of Health Sciences.
NOW hit continue to create your new CITI program username/password.
DO NOT SELECT INDEPENDENT LEARNER REGISTRATION – This will prompt a fee for courses.
STEP 2: Personal Information
STEP 3: Create Username/Password
STEP 4: Country
STEP 5: CE Question- *** Please note: CE is available but is NOT paid for by WesternU. If added, you are responsible for the purchase of CE units.
STEP 6: Western University of Health Sciences Profile
Answering the questions below will determine which course is added to your task bar. Please only answer the questions that best describe your scope and role in research. A drop-down list is provided to select the appropriate role/scope. Please refer to the CITI Training Requirements for each Regulatory Committee for guidance on required courses.
Question 1- Human Subject Research ***
Biomedical Research Investigators
Social & Behavioral Research Investigators
Students (as researchers or subjects)
Stem Cell Research
Question 2- IO / IRB Chair – Select only if you are the Institution Official or IRB Chair
Question 3- Conflict of Interest***
Research related Staff
Question 4- Responsible Conduct of Research ***
Research Faculty and Staff
Question 5: IACUC*** Laboratory Animal Research
IACUC Members and IACUC Staff
IACUC Community Members
Institutional Official (IO)
Choose the appropriate species-specific electives according to your research interests.
Question 6: Bio Safety***
IRB, IACUC Members
Shipping & Receiving
Question 7: Good Clinical Practice (GCP) ***
GCP for Clinical Trials with Investigational Drugs and Medical Devices (U.S. FDA Focus)
GCP for Clinical Investigations of Devices
GCP for Clinical Trials with Investigational Drugs and Biologics (ICH Focus)
GCP – Social and Behavioral Research Best Practices for Clinical Research
Question 8: Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) (Basic Course)
Good Laboratory Practice required for all research conducted in laboratory
Question 9: Laboratory Chemical Safety
Laboratory safety course required for all research conducted within laboratory
Question 10: Radiation Safety
All individuals acquiring and working with radioactive material.
Once your registration is complete, log in with your username/password. Your required course(s), specified by your selected role, will be listed under your Western University of Health Sciences Courses Click on the Course(s) you must take and begin. Your Certificate of Completion will be listed and available under Completion Record for easy access.
Researcher guide: CITI training requirements per Regulatory Committee
*CITI corresponding profile question # has been added next to each required course for your reference*
All Personnel (Students, Staff and Faculty) involved in research must take the following CITI training:
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Basic Course (CITI Q4)
- Conflicts of Interest (COI) Basic Course (CITI Q3)
If you are involved in specialized research, you must take other CITI training as noted below:
- If you are listed in any research overseen by the IRB, you must complete the following CITI Training.
Institutional Review Board (IRB) (CITI Q1)
- Students– Students as Researchers or Subjects Course (Students only)
- PI- Co-I – (course specific to scope of individual research)
Social and Behavioral Research Basic Course
Biomedical Research Basic Course
- Good Clinical Practice (course specific to scope of funded clinical research) (CITI Q7)
- Anyone that works in a research laboratory at WesternU must take the following CITI training:
Laboratory Safety Compliance
- All researchers – Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) Basic Course (CITI Q8)
- All researchers– Laboratory Chemical Safety Basic Course (CITI Q9)
- All researchers-Occupational Health & Safety Course (CITI Q6)
In addition to the Laboratory Safety Compliance in Part 2, if you are working on laboratory research that is overseen by any of the following committees (IACUC, IBC, SCROC) you must additionally take the CITI Training that corresponds to the committee/s listed:
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) (CITI Q5)
- All Researchers (PI, Co-I, staff, students, non WesternU researchers listed on approved protocol) –
Researchers (ACU) basic course
- Species specific courses– Select the species you will be working with for related courses.
- Animal technicians-Animal Technicians (ACU)
- Teaching Projects( ACU)
Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) (CITI Q6)
- All Researchers– Researchers (BSS)
- Shipping and Receiving (BSS) Basic Course
Stem Cell Research Oversight Committee (SCROC)
- All Researchers– Stem Cell Research Oversight Basic Course (CITI Q1)
Radiation Safety Committee (RSC)
- All Researchers– Radiation Safety – Basic Course (CITI Q10)