Frequently Asked Questions


How many students will be admitted to WesternU’s program?

80 students total will be admitted into the program.

Do I have to pay any fees to participate in WesternU’s SHPEP?

No, there will be no cost at all to any participant selected to be part of SHPEP.

Can I work while participating in SHPEP?

The SHPEP curriculum at WesternU will be an intense, full-time program. Additionally, there will be evening and weekend events which participants will be required to attend. Students in the program will have little time for other activities such as holding a job or another project,

I am currently in my 3rd/4th year at a community college, am I eligible to apply to SHPEP at Westernu?

Yes, as long as you have not enrolled into a 4 year undergraduate university.

I will have more than 60 credit units once the program starts, am I still eligible to apply?

YES, but applicants cannot have more than 60 units at the time of the SHPEP application cycle. Advance Placement credits received during high school will not be factored into your credit count.

I am not a U.S. citizen, will I be able to apply?

Students must be U.S. citizens, granted permanent residency, or have been granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Do I get college credit for the program?

NO. This program is intended to enhance your preparation for medicine, dentistry, physical therapy and optometry – with potential exposure to other health professions. It is not a substitute for coursework.