Leadership & Development
How to Make Your Event Succeed
Always remember why you’re hosting the event – it will guide you in planning every step of the way. From reevaluating what went well during the previous event to making sure volunteers feel valued, this presentation by Kent Gustafson of the University of Minnesota will encourage your club to follow all the necessary requirements for planning your event.
Event Planning Tips:
Don’t forget the budget! Prepare early, take advantage of bulk purchases on food or catering options and be creative with what you’re limited to. Saving now will help your club host more events in the future. Make sure your treasurer is always aware how much is in your club FUND account!
Be sure to delegate tasks as it will lead to less stress and make your club members feel like a valuable part of the team.
Ask for feedback! Send out a survey to all who attended (even club members who helped organize the event!) to get a better sense of what went right or what you could improve on next time.
Collaborate every step of the way! Establish a framework for the event and utilize online tools such as SharePoint or Google Docs to collect ideas.
American Pharmacists Association – Academy of Students
“The WesternU APhA-ASP/CPhA chapter had a blast participating in Western Pharmacy Exchange’s Student Film Festival, where the chapter’s video won first place and earned the award of Best Picture with Most Impact. The video was inspired by Disney’s The Little Mermaid with the concept of pharmacy students wanting to be a part of the pharmacists’ world.
“In the video and filming process, students got to showcase their creative talents in a fun collaboration to display the efforts pharmacy students put into acquiring knowledge to become competent and adaptable pharmacists and inspire incoming and current students! As a club leader, it is important to bring students together and instill confidence in others so that they may excel using their unique talents to forward the healthcare field.”
Julie Beauchamp, PharmD 2022
Christina Jap, PharmD 2021
Eunice Kim, PharmD 2021
Military Medical Student Association – Lebanon
Embrace the Ruck
“On May 18th, the MMSA Club at COMP-Northwest held its first annual “Embrace the Ruck” event. Thirty participants from the Lebanon community as well as from the COMP-Northwest program walked/ran a 4 mile course while carrying various amounts of weight on their backs. This event raised $2,000 for the Gary Sinise Foundation, which helps our nation’s first responders, veterans, and their families. It also raised money for the annual HPSP commissioning ceremony, where our 4th year military officers are sworn into their new ranks of their respective military branches.” – MMSA
If you would like to learn more, please reach out to Military Medical Student Association – Lebanon at MMSAclubLebanon@westernu.edu.
Would you like your club to featured in our next issue? If so, please reach out to email@example.com and tell us about one of your recent events!
July 29 – August 2 (Lebanon)
- Welcome Week for incoming COMP-Northwest students.
August 5 – 10 (Pomona)
- Welcome Week for incoming Pomona students.
Wednesday, August 21
- Join us for Fall Club Day on the HEC Esplanade from 11:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Learn more about our 100+ clubs on campus and enjoy delicious food and activities!
Saturday, August 24
Saturday, November 16
- Preview Day gives prospective students a chance to learn more about the programs on campus while also interacting with current students. Contact University Recruitment if you would like your club to table at the event.
P.S. This counts as a WesternU Service event on your Club Service Allotment!
Guest Speakers – New Contract Process!
- The University recently implemented a new approval process for all guest speakers at events. View more information here: Pomona | Lebanon.
Community Service Events
- Students have hosted 57 health fairs so far in 2019!
Local Fundraising Options
- Consider working with one of these restaurants for your next event!
End of Term Responsibilities
- Get a head start on your end of term responsibilities! Keep track of your club events as they occur to save you time next January.