- 2008 2010 Infectious Disease Fellowship at Tulane University Hospital, New Orleans, LA
- 2005 - 2008 Hospitalist at Memorial Hospital, Belleville, IL
- 2001 - 2004 Internal Medicine Resident at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
- 1999 - 2001 Prepare and Pass USMLE Step 1, 2 and CE Exam, Interviewed for Internal Medicine Residency
- 1993 - 1999 Graduate Medical Education (MBBS) Smt. NHL Municipal Medical College, Ahmedabad, India
- 2010 - Present American Board of Infectious Disease
- 2005 - Present American Board of Internal Medicine
- 2010 - Present Assistant Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Disease, Western University of Health Sciences
IDIT: Staphylococci, Streptococci, Antibiotic Resistance
Neuroscience : Meningitis, Encephalitis
Blood and Lymph : HIV, Infectious Mononucleosis, Ebola, Malaria
Musculoskeletal : Osteomyelitis, Infectious Arthritis
Course Director: Respiratory Course
Course Vice Director: GI Course
Dermatology: Infections in Dermatology
Cardiology: Infective Endocarditis
Renal: Urinary Tract Infections
OMS III/ IV
Internal medicine modules for ECM V (Infectious Disease, and Pulmonary and Critical Care)
Didactic Sessions Internal Medicine OMS III/IV
- 11/3/2013 Infectious Disease SEP module: ACP Regional meeting
- 8/28/2013 Uncomplicated UTI and Pyelonephritis: Chino valley medical center
- 8/28/2013 UTI part-2: Chino valley medical center
- 10/7/2012 Aging of HIV epidemic: 2012 AOA/ACOFP Osteopathic Medical Conference & Exposition (OMED)
- 10/7/2012 HIV and Hepatitis C: 2012 AOA/ACOFP Osteopathic Medical Conference & Exposition (OMED)
- 8/7/2012 Management of MRSA in the Community Setting: ACOFP-CA 36th Annual Scientific Medical Seminar
- 6/07/2012 Managing MRSA in outpatient settings: Western Foot and ankle conference
- 12/4/2010 The Internist and the Diagnosis of HIV/AIDS: ACP region II: HIV/AIDS in Orange County and Beyond Symposium
- 12/4/2010 The Role of the Internist and Medical Therapy for Patients Living with HIV/AIDS: ACP region II: HIV/AIDS in Orange County and Beyond Symposium
Cytokine Levels in plasma samples of individuals with HIV infection. Co-Investigator, Your Energy System
Liposomal Glutathione supplementation restores appropriate cytokine response to intracellular Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in HIV infected individuals. Co-Investigator, Your Energy System
INSPIRE Diabetes: Intensive Insulin regimen as a primary treatment of new onset Type 2 Diabetes. Co-PI, Sanofi Aventis (Investigator initiated research grant)
SWITCH 2(NN1250-3998) :Efficacy and Safety of insulin degludec and insulin glargine, with or without metformin in subjects with type 2 diabetes. Co-PI, Novo Nordisk
Study of Liposomal reduced Glutathione effect on immune cell function in HIV positive patients. Co-Investigator, Your Energy System
Best Senior Presentation Award, 2004
Internal Medicine Associate Award, 2002
- 2011 - 2012 International Society of Travel Medicine (ISTM)
- 2008 - Present Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA)
- 2005 - 2008 American Medical Association (AMA)
- 2002 - Present Fellow of American College of Physicians (ACP)
- 1998 - 1999 "School Health Program", Gujarat, India. Role: School to school visits and health evaluations of students.
- 1995 - 1999 "Polio Eradication Program", Gujarat, India. Role: House to house visits and pulse polio immunizations
- Patel N ; Patel K : "¿Thymoma , Good¿s Syndrome, and Recurrent Esophageal Candidiasis " The Journal of Southern California Clinicians, Volume 6 - No.1 2012, page 29
- Tudela EV ; Singh MK; Lagman M ; Ly J ;Patel N ; Ochoa C ; Venketaraman V. "Cytokine Levels in Plasma Samples of Individuals with HIV Infection." Austin J Clin Immunol. 2014;1(1): 1003.
- Ly J; Lagman M; Saing T; Singh MK; Tudela EV; Morris D ; Anderson J; Daliva J; Ochoa C; Patel N; Pearce D; Venketaraman V. "Liposomal Glutathione Supplementation Restores Appropriate Cytokine Response to Intracellular Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection in HIV Infected Individuals ".Journal of Interferon & Cytokine Research. doi:10.1089/jir.2014.0210.
- Davis M; Lin K; Chang T; Samuel M; Bhatti R; Friedlander S; Patel N; Dugel P. "Outbreak of Fusarium endophthalmitis following Brilliant Blue G (BBG) dye-assisted vitrectomy procedures." Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science June 2013, Vol.54, 1110. doi:
- Ashfaq M; Rich T; Patel N; Edgie-Mark Co."Comparison of Tuberculin Skin Test and interferon gamma release assay in Routine Latent TB Screening in the setting of Healthcare worker Screenings." The Journal of the Osteopathic Physicians & Surgeons of California, California DO Vol. 14, No. 1
- 09/2015 American College of Physicians Southern California Meeting, Arora R; Patel N: "Cushing Syndrome as a Paraneoplastic Manifestation of Neuroendocrine Tumor of Breast".
- 11/2014 American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH), Kachani M; Reynolds J; Engelke H; Ochoa C; Patel N : "Epidemiologic insight into toxoplasmosis in Southern California: A One Health study".
- 06/2014 American Diabetes Association Annual Meeting, Shubrook J; Sathananthan A; Nakazawa, M; Patel N; Mehta R; Schwartz F. INSPIRE Diabetes: "Intensive Insulin Regimen as a Primary Treatment of New Onset Type 2 Diabetes".
- 04/2014 Capstone Poster WUHS Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Pomona, CA, Morris D; Lagman M; Ly J; Chi A; Singh MK; Tudela EV; Saing T; Khurasany M; Ochoa C; Sathananthan A; Patel N; Venketaraman V. 'Improving the Functions of Cells of Innate and adaptive Immunity against Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Infection".
- 04/2014 Capstone Poster WUHS Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Pomona, CA, Saing T; Lagman M; Ly J; Singh MK; Tudela EV; Ochoa C; Patel N; Sathananthan A; Venketaraman V. "Effects of Pro-Inflammatory Cytokines Levels with Glutathione Supplementation in HIV Infected Individuals".
- 04/2014 Capstone Poster Presentation Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Pomona, CA, Singh MK; Tudela EV; Lagman M; Ly J; Saing T; Ochoa C; Patel N; Sathananthan A; Venketaraman V. "Changes in the Levels of Cytokines in Response to Glutathione Supplementation in Individuals with HIV Infection".
- 02/2014 Osteopathic Physicians & Surgeons of California Association at 53rd Annual Convention in San Diego, CA, Ashfaq M; Rich T; Patel N; Edgie-Mark Co. "Comparison of Tuberculin Skin Test and interferon gamma release assay in Routine Latent TB Screening in the setting of Healthcare worker Screenings".
- 08/2012 American Society of Retina Specialist, Davis M; Patel N; Bhatti R: "Outbreak of Fusarium Endophthalmitis Following Brilliant Blue G dye-Assisted Vitrectomy Procedures".
Dr. Patel is Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine in the Division of Infectious Disease. She was graduated with honors from NHL Medical College in India and completed her Internal Medicine residency at the University of Illinois at Chicago. As a senior resident, she was awarded for her final presentation on Primary Pulmonary Hypertension. Dr. Patel completed her fellowship in adult infectious disease with particular emphasis on tropical diseases and travel medicine at the Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans. Dr. Patel successfully completed several research projects during residency and fellowship and her active research interests surround HIV infections, Tuberculosis,antimicrobial resistance and diabetic foot infections. Her current clinical interest is in HIV care and diabetic foot infections.