Message from the Vice President:
Scientific research and other scholarly endeavors are the intellectual foundation of all great universities. The Office of the Vice President for Research and Biotechnology encourages, promotes and nurtures the scholarly creativity of our faculty and students by helping to:
- Help New faculty researchers begin their research
- Identify research opportunities
- Secure support, , possibly through intramural research awards or identifiying current research performed on campus
- Research regulatory affairs
- Translate discoveries into new products, methods and services
I hope that, at the Office of the Vice President for Research & Biotechnology, we can be of personal assistance to you as you seek research opportunities and collaborations. Although I might at times find myself scheduled to numerous meetings outside of my control, please know that my door is almost always open. I welcome your visit to my office in The University Research Center (URC). Susan Dominguez and I are in the first office on the left.
About research in the colleges
Support research at WesternU
WesternU Ventures/ Tech Transfer
- The transfer of intellectual property and business ventures at WesternUis an office that is in development and coming soon.
Financial Conflicts of Interest in Research
- learn about the conflicts of interest in research policy
The Office of the Vice President:
- Supervises the effective administration of sponsored programs
- Serves as the University’s advocate and spokesperson on research issues
- Facilitates strong programs for interdisciplinary research
- Oversees research compliance including appropriate standards for the protection of human and animal subjects
- Sponsors cooperative initiatives to enhance technology utilization
- Coordinates the transfer of University-developed technologies to commercialization, thereby providing benefits to researchers, the University and the community
- Communicates research accomplishments to the University and the community in collaboration with the office of public relations
- Lithgow D, Cole C. A reinvestigation of seroconversion rates in hepatits B-vaccinated individuals. Biol Res Nurs. 2015 Jan;17(1):49-54.
- Ross JS, Frazee SG, Garavaglia SB, Levin R, Novshadian H, Jackevicius CA, Stettin G, Krumholz HM. Trends in use of ezetimibe after the ENHANCE trial, 2007 through 2010. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Sep;174(9):1486-93.
- Brestoff JR, Kim BS, Saenz SA, Stine RR, Monticelli LA, Sonnenberg GF, Thome JJ, Farber DL, Lutfy K, Seale P, Artis D. Group 2 innate lymphoid cells promote beiging of white adipose tissue and limit obesity. Nature. 2014 Dec 22.
- Shah M, Avgil Tsadok M, Jackevicius CA, Essebag V, Eisenberg MJ, Rahme E, Humphries KH, Tu JV, Behlouli H, Guo H, Pilote L. Response to letter regarding article, “warfarin use and the risk for stroke and bleeding in patients with atrial fibrillation undergoing dialysis”. Circulation. 2014 Dec 23;130(25).
- Benninger B. Novel femoral artery terminology: From inconsistent and confusing to stereostructural clarity? Clin Anat. 2014 Dec 29.
- Borgquist A, Meza C, Wagner EJ. The role of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) in the androgenic potentiation of cannabinoid-induced changes in energy homeostasis. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Dec 30.
Categories of Research
All of the research done at Western University of Health Sciences falls within these clusters:
- Integrative Neurobiology
- Molecular and Metabolic Disease
- Infectious Diseases and Immunology
- Evolutionary Biology
- Lifestyle Medicine (more coming soon….)
Occasionally, the colleges host symposia. These and other research events may be found in the calendar.
February 28, 2015
9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
WesternU Health Education Center (HEC) (map), on the east end of campus
One-Day Symposium: From Molecules to Mind
Print the symposium flyer
Need help getting around? Access the 3D map on your smartphone. Select campus map and the building you seek. Assistance to individuals may be available from The Accommodations and Resource Center (AARC).Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to add items to the research events calendar.
We feature members of faculty at our Spotlight on Research, but exploring the individual colleges’ websites will reveal much more research than we can contain in these pages.
Find an Expert
This topic list may be used to help locate faculty specializing in a particular area of research.
Laboratories and Groups:
- Biomedical Sciences laboratories
- Center for Advancement for Drug Research and Evaluation (CADRE)
- Veterinary Medicine Interest Groups
- Physical Therapy Clinical Research Lab
- Faculty for Autism Collaboration and Education (F.A.C.E.)
- College of Optometry researchers
- Center for Clinical and Translational Research (CCTR)
- Institute for Medical Education (IME)
Please report problems with the research site to the research web content administrator. Please be so kind as to include the web address in your email.
Site updated 2/27/2015