Research Regulatory Affairs
There are six University-level committees that oversee various areas of research at WesternU. They are the:
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), Teresa Y. Morishita, DVM, PhD, Dipl. ACPV, Chair
- Institutional Review Board (IRB), Rodney Hicks, PhD, RN, Chair
- Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), David Sanchez, PhD, Chair
- Dual Use Research of Concern (DURC) Committee, Hendrik Szurmant PhD, Chair
- Radiation Safety Committee (RSC), Mohammad Mir, PhD, Chair
- Stem Cell Research Oversight (SCRO) Committee, Miklos Peterfy, PhD, Chair
- University Research Committee, Henrik Szurmant, PhD, Chair
You may navigate to each of these areas by clicking on the corresponding link on the left hand side of this page.
The Chair of each of these committees reports to the Sr. VP for Research and Biotechnology, who also oversees matters pertaining to Financial Conflicts of Interest in Research. The current Senior Vice President, Research & Biotechnology: Andrea Giuffrida, PhD, MBA, who may be contacted a firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about the University Research Committee, contact the Sr. VP’s Director of Operations, Ms. Susan Dominguez, at 909-469-5619 or email@example.com.
Jennifer Baker is the Research Regulatory Manager for the Office of Research Regulatory Affairs. The Office of Research Regulatory Affairs may be contacted at 909-469-5606 or ResearchRegulatoryAffairsOffice@westernu.edu.
The Office of Research Regulatory Affairs ensures that the operation of these committees and the research that they oversee is conducted according to all applicable local, state and federal guidelines and regulations. Responsibilities of the Office of Research Regulatory Affairs include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that each committee is properly constituted.
- Registering committees with state and federal governments as needed.
- Maintaining required licenses and permits up to date.
- Ensuring that training programs are in place and are implemented and monitored by the respective committees.
- Filing reports to government agencies as needed.
- Assisting with investigations pertaining to noncompliance or scientific misconduct.
- Development of written policies and procedures.
- Updating information as needed on the websites listed on this page.
- Daily operations and facilitation of review and approval of research protocols submitted to each research regulatory oversight committee.
The Office of Research Regulatory Affairs reports to the Sr. VP for Research and Biotechnology.