Are you ready to submit to ProQuest?
Your dissertation or thesis is complete and approved by your chair
Your signature page is signed by all parties
Your chair tells you to submit your dissertation or thesis
To begin, you will need to create a free account in ProQuest. The ETD Administrator site will guide you through the submission process. For tutorials on the submission process, look at http://www.proquest.com/en-US/video/etdadmin/etdadmin.shtml.
All dissertations and theses need to be converted to a PDF for submission. If you have not already done so, there is a conversion tool on the first step in the ProQuest submission process. Please do not use another conversion tool. If you use their conversion tool it makes sure there is no password protection on the PDF and that the security settings allow printing and document changes.
Publishing options for authors:
- Traditional Publishing: no fee. Only Western University current faculty, staff, and students, and paid subscribers to ProQuest Dissertation & Theses (PQDT) database can view the full-text of your paper. All other who search the PQDT database will have to pay to gain full-text access to your work.
- Open Access Publishing: $95 fee, paid by the student. This allows anyone to access the full-text of your paper via the PQDT Open database (http://pqdtopen.proquest.com/) .
If an embargo period is selected, the full-text will be delayed until after that period (see “Options for Access within the ProQuest Database” below for more information).
Options for allowing ProQuest to make your dissertation/thesis discoverable:
- Select if you want your work to be indexed in Google, Google Scholar, and Google Books. This means that people will be able to retrieve the basic information of your work, including your name, keywords, and abstract.
Options for access within the ProQuest database:
If necessary, you can delay the release of your dissertation or thesis. If an embargo time is selected, the citation and abstract will be available right away, but full text would only be available after the selected time. You have three options:
- Full text access available in ProQuest right away
- 6 months embargo (full text access available in ProQuest 6 months after submission)
- 1 year embargo (full text access available in ProQuest 1 year after submission)
- 2 year embargo (full text access available in ProQuest 2 years after submission)
You must agree to the ProQuest and Western University publishing agreements
- You must assign at least one subject category to your work. There is a list of pre-defined subjects for you to choose from.
- You can also assign up to six keywords of your choice to help people locate your work in ProQuest.
- If you would like to register your dissertation or thesis for copyright, you can submit the request through ProQuest for a fee of $55.
- If you choose to register on your own, use the online tool at http://www.copyright.gov/eco/ for a fee of $35.
Students can order print copies of their paper in hardcover or paperback via ProQuest. If you would like a copy of the dissertation or thesis with the university logo, please contact Kater-Crafts Bookbinder.
Once you have submitted your paper, it is not uploaded to ProQuest until the library goes over your submission
Once your submission is checked for all the required elements, it is then uploaded to ProQuest
No changes to your paper can be made after submitting it to ProQuest