Scott Helf, DO, MSIT
Chief Technology Officer, Assistant Dean, Academic Informatics
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
- DO, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, Western University 1999 of Health Sciences. Pomona, CA.
- MSIT, Information Technology, California State University Fullerton. 2007 Fullerton, CA.
- BS, cum laude, Biochemistry and Cell Biology, University of California 1995
- Fellow, Association of American Medical Colleges, Group on 2013 Information Resources Leadership Institute. Washington, DC.
- Graduate, Creative Center for Leadership, Leadership Development 2012 Program. La Jolla, CA.
- Graduate, Excelsior College, Center for Technology Leadership. 2011 Albany, NY.
- Scholar, Costin Institute for Osteopathic Medical Educators, 2007 Midwestern University, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine. Chicago, IL.
- Graduate, Regional Leadership Forum, Information Technology 2000 Management. Dallas, TX.
- Intern, Internal Medicine, Neurology Pre-Select, Wilford Hall Medical 2000 Center, Lackland Air Force Base, United States Air Force. San Antonio, TX.
- Inventor, Architect, Real-Time Curriculum Assessment, COMP, 2014-Present WesternU
- Inventor, Architect, Organic and Automated Curriculum Mapping, 2013-Present COMP, WesternU
- Architect, Longitudinal Learner Outcomes Tracking and Analysis 2012-Present COMP, WesternU
- Architect, Online Student Procedure Tracking and Analysis, 2012-2014 College of Dentistry, WesternU
- Inventor, Architect, Academic Progress Portal 2006-Present
- Architect, OTRS Workflow Solution 2006-Present
- Inventor, Architect, Rotation Lottery and Trading System 2006-Present
- Architect, Faculty Activity Reporting Engine 2011-2013
- Architect, Learning Management System, Homegrown Solution 2012 COMP, WesternU
- Architect, Curriculum Search Engine, WesternU 2007-2011
- Lead Developer, Administrator, Resource Scheduler, WesternU 2004-2005
- Lead Developer, Administrator, Content Management System, 2002-2005 Public Facing Web Site, WesternU
- Lead Developer, Administrator Content Management System, 2002-2005 Intranet, WesternU
- Administrator, University Learning Management System, WesternU 2000-2005
- Assistant Dean, Academic Informatics, College of Osteopathic 2012-Present Medicine of the Pacific, Western University of Health Sciences (COMP, WesternU)
- CTO, COMP, WesternU 2007-Present Assistant Professor, Social Medicine and Healthcare Leadership, 2007-Present COMP, WesternU
- CEO, Co-Founder, Academic Progress Intelligence, LLC 2009-Present Founding Director, Department of Academic Informatics, COMP, 2010-2012 WesternU
- CIO, Co-Founder, ScrubCast, Inc. 2008-2012 Director, Rotations Development, Medical Informatics, and 2005-2007 Educational Technologies, COMP, WesternU
- Manager, Web Systems, Instructional Technology and Distributed 2005-2006 Learning, Western University of Health Sciences (ITDL, WesternU)
- Instructor, Instructional Technology, College of Allied Health 2005-2007 Professions, WesternU
- Instructor, Biochemistry, College of Pharmacy, WesternU 2002-2003
- Integrator, Curriculum and Technology, ITDL, WesternU 2000-2005
- United States Air Force, Medical Service Corps, Captain (O-3) 1996-2000
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medical Colleges 2013-2014 Mini-Grant
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medical Colleges 2011-2012 Mini-Grant
- Association of American Medical Colleges, Group on Information 2012 Resources, Innovation Forum Winner
- Council on Podiatric Medical Education, Written Commendation 2012
- California State University Fullerton, Academic Achievement Award 2007
- United States Air Force, Health Professions Scholarship 1996-1999
- Member, NBOME, Portfolio & Expanded Assessment Task Force 2015-Present
- Co-Lead, Educause, Health Science IT Constituent Group 2014-Present
- Member, AAMC GIR Annual Meeting Planning Committee 2013-2014
- Reviewer, Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2013-Present
- Member, NBOME Continuous Professional Development 2011-2014 Advisory Committee
- Member, AACOM Information Technology Special Interest Group 2002-Present
- Reviewer, International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine 2013
- Member, NBOME Innovations in Testing Advisory Committee 2010-2011
- Member, NBOME Emerging Technologies Advisory Committee 2008-2011
- Professional Membership - American Osteopathic Association
- Member, COMP Assessment and Process Improvement Advisory 2015-Present Task Force
- Member, COMP Executive Leadership Team 2014-Present
- Member, COMP Curriculum Exploration Task Force 2014-Present
- Member, COMP COCA Cabinet 2014
- Member, COMP Academic Progress Portal Advisory Committee 2014-Present
- Member, COMP COMLEX Committee 2013-2014
- Member, College of Dentistry, WesternU IT Initiatives 2013-Present
- Member, College of Graduate Biomedical Sciences, Masters of Science 2013-Present In Biomedical Sciences, Healthcare in IT Curriculum Planning Team
- Member, COMP Information Technology Advisory Committee 2013-Present
- Member, COMP COCA Standard 6 2013-2014
- Consultant, COMP COCA Standards 3, 5, 7, and 8 2013-2014
- Founding Chair, COMP Academic Progress Portal Advisory Committee 2011-2013
- Member, Advisory Board College of Graduate Nursing, WesternU 2005-2013
Lee AS, Chang L, Feng E, Helf S. The Reliability and Validity Of 2014 Conversion Formulas Between COMLEX-USA Level 1 and USMLE Step 1. Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2014 June; 6(2): 280-283. Wong S, Ramirez J, Feng E, Helf S. Student Performance on 2009 Levels 1 and 2-CE of COMLEX-USA: Do Elective Upper-Level Undergraduate Science Courses Matter? JAOA. 2009 Nov; 109(11):592-8.
Helf S, Thrush G, Ma TP. Automated Curriculum Mapping. Keynote. 2014 Osteopathic European Academic Network Annual Conference; June 2014; Barcelona, Spain. Helf S, Thrush G, Ma TP. Keynote. Learner Outcomes: Automated 2014 Tracking Easy Analysis, and Continuous Curriculum Improvement. Osteopathic European Academic Network Annual Conference; May 2014; Barcelona, Spain. Helf S, Thrush G, Ma TP. Keynote. Technology to Track Learner. 2014 Outcomes Continuing Medical Education Sponsors Conference, American Osteopathic Association; January, 2014; Austin, TX. Singer-Chang, G, Helf, SC. Does 'Gray' Really Matter in Medical 2013 Education? Exploratory Study Suggests Implications for a Relationship Between Emotional Intelligence (EQ) and 1st Year Osteopathic Medical Student Performance. OPTI-West Research Conference; August, 2013; Colton, CA. Helf, S, Singer-Chang, G. Flipping the Scientific Method: Data 2013 Mining and Analysis to Drive Discovery, Insight, and Improve Outcomes. OPTI-West Research Conference; August, 2013; Colton, CA. Helf S, Ma TP. Keynote. Technology to Track and Analyze Learner. 2012 Outcomes Osteopathic Medical Education Leadership Conference, American Osteopathic Association; January, 2012; Orlando, FL.