Ph.D., Physiology, University of California, Davis, CA, 1975
B.S., Honors, Biological Sciences, University of California, Davis, CA, 1969
Postdoctoral Fellow: Physiology, Department of Physiology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, VA, 1977-1978
National Research Service Award Postdoctoral Fellow: Physiology, Department of Physiology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, VA, 1975-1977
Professor of Physiology, Department of Basic Medical Sciences, Western University of Health Sciences, COMP, 1992-present
Associate Professor of Physiology, Department of Basic Sciences, COMP, 1984-1992
Assistant Professor of Basic Sciences (Physiology), Department of Basic Sciences, Ohio University, College of Osteopathic Medicine, OH, 1978-1984
Behavioral Medicine and Psychiatry (OM 5155)
Cardiovascular System (OM 6020)
Interprofessional Education (IPE 5000 and IPE 5100)
- American Physiological Society
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Professional Membership
- Foley DH. Diminished arterial smooth muscle responses to adenosine during Na-K pump inhibition. Pflugers Archiv. 1984; 400: 88-95.
- Foley DH, Miller WL, Rubio R and Berne RM. Transmural distribution of myocardial adenosine content during coronary constriction. American Journal of Physiology 1979; 236: H833-H838.
- Watkinson WP, Foley DH, Rubio R and Berne RM. Myocardial adenosine formation with increased cardiac performance in the dog. American Journal of Physiology 1979; 236: H13-H21.
- Foley DH, Amsterdam EA and Mason DT. Interactions of vasoactive effects of adenosine and potassium ion on isolated feline coronary artery smooth muscle. Circulation Research 1979; 44: 207-215.
- Miller WL, Belardinelli L, Bacchus A, Foley DH, Rubio R and Berne RM. Canine myocardial adenosine and lactate production, oxygen consumption, and coronary blood flow during stellate ganglia stimulation. Circulation Research. 1979; 45: 708-718.
- Foley DH, Herlihy JT, Thompson CI, Rubio R and Berne RM. Increased adenosine formation by rat myocardium with acute aortic constriction. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology 1978; 10: 293-300.
Book or Monograph Chapters
- Amsterdam EA, Miller RR, Foley DH and Mason DT. (1975). Pathophysiology and treatment of coronary artery disease. In: The Peripheral Circulations, R. Zelis, editor. Grune and Stratton, New York. pp. 363-394.
- Berne RM, Foley DH, Watkinson WP, Miller WL, Winn HR and Rubio R. (1979). Role of adenosine as a mediator of metabolic vasodilation in the heart and brain - a brief overview and update. In: Physiological and Regulatory Functions of Adenosine and Adenine Nucleotides., edited by H.P. Baer and G.I. Drummond. Raven Press. New York. pp. 117-126.
I have been teaching physiology to osteopathic medical students since 1978. I have taught cardiovascular, renal, respiratory, muscle and autonomic nervous system physiology. Although I do not still actively conduct research, my major areas of interest remain the physiology of the cardiovascular system, the coronary circulation, and the mechanisms of control of blood flow.