Guru Betageri, PhD
Professor, Pharmaceutical Sciences; Associate Provost, Graduate Studies
College of Pharmacy
Join year: 1998
Ph.D. University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada 1988
M.Pharm. Bangalore University, Bangalore, India 1982
B.Pharm. Karnatak University, Dharwad, India 1979
Visiting Scientist NCI, NIH Bethesda MD 1988-1989
Dr. Betageri then joined the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland as a visiting scientist, followed by a faculty appointment at Auburn University. Dr. Betageri moved to Western University in 1998, where he was promoted to Professor in 1999 and became Chairman of the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences in 2002.
Formulation and development of Lipid and Liposome based drug delivery systems. Enhancement of bioavailability using proliposomal system that promotes absorption through lymphatic system and eliminates first-pass effect.
Following US patents have been issued:
6,759,058 6,761,901 6,849,269 7,387,791 8,658,202 8,889,180 8,957,053 9,445,995 9,492,387 8,957,053 9,566,238 9,623,033 9,808,426 9,844,557
Recipient of American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) Fellow Award.
Dr. Betageri is an active member of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy and the Controlled Release Society.
- J. Rueda, S. Kavvasu and G. V. Betageri "Daptomycin proliposomes for oral delivery: formulation, characterization, and in-vivo pharmacokinetics" has been accepted for publication in AAPS PharmSciTech. 2018
- V. Nekkanti, J. Rueda, Z. Wang and G.V. Betageri “Comparative evaluation of proliposomes and self micro-emulsifying drug delivery system for improved oral bioavailability of nisoldipine” Int. J. Pharm. 505: 79-88, 2016
- V. Nekkanti, J. Rueda, Z. Wang and G.V. Betageri “Design, Characterization, and In vivo Pharmacokinetics of Tacrolimus Proliposomes” AAPS PharmSci Tech 17: 1019-1029, 2016
- V. Nekkanti, Z. Wang and G.V. Betageri. Pharmacokinetic Evaluation of Improved Oral Bioavailability of Valsartan: Proliposomes Versus Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System. AAPS PharmSciTech 17, 2016
- V. Nekkanti, N. Venkatesan, Z. Wang and G. V. Betageri. Improved oral bioavailability of valsartan using proliposomes: design, characterization and in vivo pharmacokinetics. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 2015
- V. Gyanani, S. Basavaraj and G.V. Betageri. Evaluation of various processes for simultaneous complexation and granulation to incorporate Drug-Cyclodextrin complexes into solid dosage forms. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 2015
- V. Nekkanti, N. Venkatesan and G.V. Betageri. Proliposomes for Oral Delivery: Progress and Challenges. Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology.16:303-312, 2015
- S. Yanamandra, N. Venkatesan, V. Kadajji, Z. Wang, M. Issar and G.V. Betageri. Proliposomes as a drug delivery system to decrease the hepatic first-pass metabolism: Case study using a model drug. Eur. J. Pharm. Sci. 2014
- S. Basavaraj and G.V. Betageri. Improved oral delivery of resveratrol: Investigation of various factors contributing to prolonged absorption of un-metabolized Resveratrol. Expert Opinion on Drug Del. 2014
- S. Basavaraj and G.V. Betageri. Can formulation and drug delivery reduce attrition during drug discovery and development-review of feasibility, benefits and challenges. Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica B 2014
G. V. Betageri,S. A. Jenkins and D. L. Parsons "Liposome Drug Delivery Systems"