Ph.D., Pharmacology/Toxicology, University of Texas, Austin, Texas, 1986
B.S., Pharmacy, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts, 1980
B.A., Chemistry, Bridgewater State College, Bridgewater, Massachusetts, 1976
Director of COMP-NW Research Facility, Office of the Vice President for Research and Biotechnology, Western University of Health Sciences, Lebanon, OR. 2011- present
Associate Professor (Scientist), Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology (CROET), Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), Portland, OR. 2000-2009
Graduate Faculty, Neuroscience Graduate Program, Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), Portland, OR. 1995-2009
Graduate Faculty, Integrative Biomedical Sciences Program, Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), Portland, OR. 1995-2000
Graduate Faculty, Environmental and Molecular Toxicology Program, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR. 1995-2009
Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), Portland, OR. 1993-2009
Assistant Scientist, Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology (CROET), Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), Portland, OR. 1988-2000
Research Associate, Institute of Neurotoxicology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY. 1987-1988
Teaching Assistant, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas, Austin, TX. 1981-1986
Instructor, Department of Chemistry, Austin Community College, Austin, TX. 1982-1986
Dr. Kisby developed an independent research program in neurotoxicology while at CROET/OHSU with an emphasis on understanding the role of environmental chemicals in neurodegenerative disease and neurodevelopmental disorders. Over the span of >20 years at OHSU, he trained 20 undergraduate students,7 graduate students and 4 postdoctoral fellows and provided 15 high school students with ‘hands on experience’ in a toxicology laboratory. To foster collaboration between the toxicology faculty at CROET and Oregon State University, he developed the curriculum and brochure for the Neurotoxicology Track through the Environmental & Molecular Toxicology (EMT) Graduate Program at Oregon State University. Through this program, several CROET faculty trained graduate students in neurotoxicology.
- IDIT: Principles of Toxicology
- Neuroscience System: Opioid analgesics and antagonists, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents, local anesthetics, general anesthetics, anti-epileptic drugs, anti-Parkinson agents, sedative-hypnotic agents.
- Musculoskeletal System: Skeletal muscle relaxants
My laboratory is investigating the underlying molecular mechanisms of neurodevelopmental disorders and chronic neurodegenerative disease. A central hypothesis under study is that early life exposure to environmental chemicals (e.g., cigarette smoke, pesticides, air pollutants, metals) induces long-term brain injury. Methylazoxymethanol (MAM), a developmental neurotoxin and an etiological candidate for a neurodegenerative disorder found in the western Pacific with features of ALS, Parkinson disease and Alzheimer disease is being used to examine the relationship between early life exposure to an environmental chemical and long-term brain injury. Adult-derived human neural stem cells (brain in a dish) are currently being used to identify the long-term effects of environmental chemicals on the developing and mature human brain.
National Association for Schizophrenia Research (NASARD) Grant, Columbia University, Genomic Instability in an Animal Model of Schizophrenia, Consultant, 2008-2010.
Oregon Partnership for Alzheimer’s Research (OPAR), Role of Environmental and Genetic Factors in Dementia, Principal Investigator, 2008 – 2009.
NIEHS (1P42 ES10338), Role of Gene Expression in Brain Injury, Principal Investigator (Project 2), 2003-2008.
NIEHS (P42 ES11384), DNA Alkylation in Neurodegenerative Disease and Cancer, Principal Investigator (Project 2), 2001-2008.
Honors and Awards
3/14/08 Patent applied for: High-Throughput Microtiter Plate Assays for DNA Damage and DNA Repair. 3/14/08 Patent applied for: Molecular-Scale Imaging and Quantification of DNA Damage in Single Cells using Nanoparticle Probes.
Society for Neuroscience Society for Toxicology Pacific Area Northwest Association of Toxicologists (PANWAT) Rho Chi Society (Pharmacy Honor Society)
University Mentoring Task Force (2014-present) University Research Committee (2014- present) COMP-NW Research Committee (2014-present) COMLEX TASK Force (3/2013) Program Review Reader’s Panel for College of Pharmacy (2013) COCA Accreditation, Co-Chair of Standard 7 (Research; 2013-present) COMP-NW Admissions Committee (2011-present) COMP-NW Safety Committee (2011-present) COMP Student Awards Committee (2012-2014) COMP-NW Student Research Club (mentor) (2012-present) COMP-NW Student Journal Club (mentor) (2013-present)
- Spencer, P.S., Garner, C.E., Palmer, V.S., Kisby, G.E. Vervets and macaques" Similarities and differences in their responses to L-BMAA. Neurotoxicology 2016 Sep;56:284-286. doi: 10.1016/j.neuro.2016.03.018
- Spencer, P.S., Palmer, V.S. Kisby, G.E. Seeking environmental causes of neurodegenerative disease and envisioning primary prevention. Neurotoxicology 2016 Sep;56:269-283. doi: 10.1016./j.neuro.2016.03.017
- Spencer, P.S., Kisby, G.E., Environmental Explanations. International Innovation 47:59-61, 2014.
- Kisby, G.E., Moore H., Spencer, P.S. Animal models of brain maldevelopment induced by cycad plant genotoxins. Birth Defects Research C Embryo Today, 99:247-55, 2013.
- Spencer, P.S., Fry, R.C., Palmer, V., Kisby, G.E., Western Pacific ALS-PDC: a prototypical neurodegenerative disorder linked to DNA damage and aberrant proteogenesis? Front Neurol, 3:180, 2012, doi: 10.3389/fneur.2012.00180.
- Spencer, P.S., Fry, R.C., Kisby, G.E., Unraveling 50-year-old clues linking neurodegeneration and cancer to cycad toxins: Are microRNAs common mediators? Front Genet, 3:192, 2012, doi: 10.3389/fgene.2012.00192.
- Kisby, G.E., Palmer, V., Lasarev, M., Fry, R.C., Iordanov, M., Magun, E., Samson, L.D., Spencer, P.S. Does the cycad genotoxin MAM implicated in Guam ALS-PDC induce disease-relevant latent changes in mouse brain that includes olfaction? Commun Integr Biol, 4:731-4, 2011.
- Kisby G.E., Spencer, P.S. Is neurodegenerative disease a long-latency response to early-life genotoxin exposure? Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 8:3889-921, 2011. [Special Issue: Environmental Neurotoxicology]
- La Maestra, S.*, Kisby, G.E.*, Micale, R.T., Johnson J., Kow, Y.W., Bao G., F., Sheppard C., Stanfield S., Tran H., Woltjer R.L., D’Agostini F., Steele V.E., De Flora S. Cigarette smoke induces DNA damage and alters base-excision repair and tau levels in the brain of neonatal mice. Toxicol Sciences 21, 2011 (* equal contribution).
- Kisby, G.E.*, Lasarev, M.*, Fry, R.C.*, Bammler T., Beyer R., Cranson, A., Meira, L.B., Palmer, V., Ren, X., Sullivan R.C., Churchwell, M., Doerge, D., Crawford, A.L., Kavanagh, T., Samson, L.D., Zarbl, H., Spencer, P.S. The cycad genotoxin MAM modulates brain cellular pathways involved in neurodegenerative disease and cancer in a DNA damage-linked manner. PLoS One 6(6):e20911, 2011 (* equal contribution).
- Muniz, J., McCauley, L., Pak, V., Lasarev, M., Kisby, G.E., Effect of sample collection and storage conditions on DNA damage in buccal cells from agricultural workers. Mutat Research - Genetic Toxicol and Environ Mutagenesis 720:8-13.
- Kisby, G.E., Olivas, A., Kohama, S.G., Doerge, D., Spangler, E., DeCabo, R., Ingram, D.K., Imhof, B., Koshy, M., Kow, Y.W. Effect of caloric restriction on base excision repair (BER) in the aging rat brain. Exp Gerontology 45(3):208-16, 2010.
- Kisby, G.E., Muniz, L., Scherer, J., Lasarev, Koshy, M., Kow, Y.W., McCauley, L. Oxidative stress and DNA damage in agricultural workers. J Agromedicine 14:206-214, 2009 [Special Issue on PHARE International Symposium].
- Kisby, G.E., Olivas A., Park T., Churchwell M., Doerge, D., Samson L., Gerson S.L., Turker M.S. DNA repair modulates the vulnerability of the developing brain to alkylating agents. DNA Repair 8:400-412, 2009.
- McCauley, L, Lasarev, M., Muniz, L., Anger, K, Kisby, G.E. Analysis of pesticide exposure and DNA damage in immigrant farmworkers. J Agromedicine 13:237-246, 2008.
- Muniz, J., Lasarev, M., Koshy, M., Kow, Y.W., Li, X., McCauley, L., Kisby, G.E. Biomarkers of oxidative stress are elevated among agricultural workers. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 15:227:97-107, 2008.
- Kisby, G.E., Standley, M., Park, T., Olivas, A., Fei, S., Jacob, T., Reddy, A., Lu, X., Pattee, P., Nagalla, S.R. Proteomic analysis of the genotoxicant methylazoxymethanol (MAM) induced changes in the developing cerebellum. J Proteome Res 5:2656-2665, 2006.
- Kisby, G.E., Standley, M., Lu, X., Pattee, P., O’Malley, J., Muniz, J., Olivas, A., Nagalla, S.R. Genotoxicants target molecular networks in neonatal neurons. Environ Health Persp (Toxicogenomics) 114:1703-1712, 2006.
- Kisby, G.E., Standley, M., Lu, X., Pattee, P., O’Malley, J., Muniz, J., Olivas, A., Nagalla, S.R. Molecular networks are perturbed in a developmental animal model of brain injury. Neurobiol Dis 19:108-18, 2005.
- Kisby, G.E., Lesselroth, H., Olivas, A., Samson, L., Gold, B., Tanaka, K., Turker, M.S. Role of nucleotide- and base-excision repair in genotoxin-induced neuronal cell death DNA Repair 3:617-627, 2004.