Ph.D., Physiology, Department of Physiology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, 1999
M.S., Computer Science, Wayne State University College of Engineering, Detroit, MI, 2000
B.S., Biology, Hebei University, Baoding, China, 1985
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, MI, 1999-2001
Professor, Department of Basic Medical Sciences, COMP, Western University of Health Sciences, 2020-present
Associate Professor, Department of Basic Medical Sciences, COMP, Western University of Health Sciences, 2010-2020
Assistant Research Professor, Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, Duarte, CA, 2007-2010
Assistant Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY, 2003-2007
Senior Research Associate, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY, 2001-2003
Physiology of respiratory system (COMP); Physiology of neuroscience system (COMP); Introduction to Biotechnology (GCBS).
Dr. Zhong’s research interests focus on early cancer detection using autoantibody profiles as biomarkers. His team has developed a novel screening technology for early detection of lung cancer using T7 phage display cDNA libraries and differential biopanning to isolate epitopes reacting with antibodies present specifically in the sera of patients with lung cancer. Using five combined biomarkers, they have achieved both sensitivity and specificity of 91.3 percent for stage I non-small cell lung cancer detection and sensitivity of 82.6 percent and specificity of 87.5 percent for detection of occult (one to five years prior to the radiology diagnosis) non-small cell lung cancer. The results were much more sensitive and specific than the traditional biomarkers for lung cancer.
• NSFC, Zhong (PI), “Combined use of novel serologic biomarkers for early detection of non-small cell lung cancer” 2019-2022
• Genetics Biotechnology Inc., Zhong (PI), “Tumor markers for cancer detection and targeted therapy”, 2014-2020
• NSFC, Zhong (PI), “Profile of autoantibody signatures for assessing susceptibility of NSCLC among heave smokers”, 2015-2018
• British American Tobacco, Zhong (PI), “Early detection of smoking-induced lung cancer”, 2014-2016
• NSFC, Zhong (PI),“Prognosis significance of autoantibody markers in resectable NSCLC”, 2013-2013-2016
• NIH/NCI R21, Zhong (PI), “Profiling autoantibodies for early detection of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma”, 2009-2011
• Research subcontract from NCI, Zhong (PI), “Proteomic approaches to esophageal squamous cell carcinoma diagnostics”, 2008-2010
• NIH R01, Zhong (Co-PI), “Autoantibodies as marker of NSCLC”, 2003 –2009
• VA Merit Review, Zhong (Co-PI), “Detection of Tumor Markers in Peripheral Blood of Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Patients”, 2003 –2005
- Zhao, M.; Lian, A.; Zhong, L., Guo, R. The Regulatory Mechanism Between Lysosomes and Mitochondria in the Etiology of Cardiovascular Diseases. (2022) Acta Physiologica, published online.
- Liang, S.; Liang, G.; Zhang, Y.; Zhan, X., Zhong, L. (2022) Profiling biotoxicities of hexafluoropropylene oxide trimer acid with human embryonic stem cell-based assays. Journal of Environmental Sciences. 116 (2022) 34–42.
- Liang, G.; Sun, J.; Liu, Y.; Liu, D.; Liang, S.; Guo, R.; Zhong, L. (2021) Identification of tumor associated genes using transcriptome analysis. Cancer Research, Volume 81, Issue 13 Supplement, pp. 2312.
- Ly, J.; Chu, Q.; Zhong, L. (2021) Novel therapeutic trends in pneumonia: antibiotics and mesenchymal stem cells. Biomedical Research and Clinical Reviews. 4(5); DOI: 10.31579/2692-9406/082.
- Liu, J.; Zhong, L.; Guo, R. (2021) The role of posttranslational modification and mitochondrial quality control in cardiovascular diseases. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, Volume 2021, Article ID 6635836, 15 pages.
- Yang, H.; Heyer, J.; Zhao, H.; Liang, S.; Guo, R.; Zhong, L. (2020) The Potential Role of Cathepsin K in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Molecules 2020, 25, 4136.
- Zhao, H.; Yang, H.; Sun, J.; Liang, G.; Zhao, Q.; Zhang, X.; Liang, S.; Guo, R.; Zhong, L. (2020) Mesenchymal stem cells promote PD-L1 expression in lung cancer cells. Cancer Research, 2020, 80(16):6011.
- Guo R, Yang H, Zhang Y, Li B, Liu X, Zhong L. (2019) The Potential Clinical Role Of Cathepsin K And Autophagy In The Prevention Of Alcoholic Cardiomyopathy. Circulation 140(suppl_1):10585.
- Cao, R, Islamoglu, H, Teskey, G, Gyurjian, K, Abrahem, R, Onajole, O.K, Lun, S, Bishai, W, Kozikowski, A.P, Sathananthan, A, Fraix, M, Zhong L, Stec, J, Venketaraman, V. (2019). The preclinical candidate indole-2 carboxamide improves immune responses to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in healthy subjects and individuals with type 2 diabetes. International Microbiology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10123-019-00086-0
- Wang Q, Yang M, Zhang Y, Zhong L, Zheng X. (2019) Novel Combination Oncolytic Adenoviral Gene Therapy Armed with Dm-dNK and CD40L for Breast Cancer. Current Gene Therapy. 19(1)54-65.
- Teskey G , Cao R, Islamoglu H, Medina A, Prasad C, Prasad R, Sathananthan A, Fraix M, Subbian S, Zhong L, Venketaraman V. (2018) The Synergistic Effects of the Glutathione Precursor, NAC and First-Line Antibiotics in the Granulomatous Response Against Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Front Immunol. 9:2069.
- Cao R, Teskey G, Islamoglu H, Abrahem R, Munjal S, Gyurjian K, Zhong L, Venketaraman V. (2018) Characterizing the Effects of Glutathione as an Immunoadjuvant in the Treatment of Tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 24;62(11).
- Li H, Ha H, Ding X, Bae C, Gazy N, Zhong L. (2018) DMH4, a VEGFR2 Inhibitor, Effectively Suppresses Growth and Invasion of Lung Cancer Cells. Journal of Applied Biomedicine, 16(1): 46-50.
- Cao L, Wang H, Dong X, Zhong L. (2018) Combined analysis of cell-free DNA methylation in plasma for early detection of NSCLC. Cancer Research, 8(13)suppl:4543.
- Wang J, Shi C, Wang J, Cao L, Zhong L, Wang D. (2017) MicroRNA-320a is downregulated in non-small cell lung cancer and suppresses tumor cell growth and invasion by directly targeting insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor. Oncol Lett. 13(5): 3247–3252.
- Jeffrey Koury, Li Zhong, and Jijun Hao. (2017) Targeting Signaling Pathways in Cancer Stem Cells for Cancer Treatment. Stem Cells International, 2925869.
- Jianfei Wang, Xu Dong, Li Cao, Mihai Covasa, Li Zhong. (2016) Association between telomere length and diabetes mellitus: A meta-analysis. Journal of International Medical Research, 44(6): 1156-1173.
- Qiu Y, Li H, Dong X, Hao J, Zhong L. (2016). DMH4, A VEGFR2 inhibitor effectively suppresses proliferation and migration of lung cancer cells. Cancer Research, 76(14)suppl:3094.
- Shen W, Cao Y, Cha L, Zhang X, Ying X, Zhang W, Ge K, Li W, Zhong L. (2015) Predicting linear B-cell epitopes using amino acid anchoring pair composition. BioData Mining，8:14.
- Li H, Bae C, Gazy N, Hao J. Zhong L. (2015) Emerging effects of Chinese herbs on regulation human lung cancer cells proliferation. Cancer Research, 75(15)suppl:2610.
- Bae, C.; Li, H.; Zhang, X.; Zhong, L. (2015) Investigating the effects of adipose derived stem cells and fetal lung fibroblasts on lung cancer proliferation. Journal of Investigative Medicine. 63:210.
- Gazy, N.; Li, H.; Zhang, X.; Fuchs, S.; Venketaraman, V.; Martin, J.; Zhong, L. (2015) Investigating the efficacy of six chemical compounds on down-regulation of TNFalpha production in macrophages in response to protein kinase C activation by phorbol myristate acetate. Journal of Investigative Medicine. 63:212.
- Zhong L, Zhang X, Covasa M. (2014) Emerging roles of lactic acid bacteria in protection against colorectal cancer. World J Gastroenterol. 20(24):7878-86.
- Zhang X, Li H, Angela H, Kim A, Zhong L. (2014) Emerging effects of Chinese herbs on regulation human lung cancer cells proliferation. Cancer Research, 74(19)suppl:4551.
- Lowe FJ, Shen W, Zu J, Li J, Wang H, Zhang X, Zhong L. (2014) A novel autoantibody test for the detection of pre-neoplastic lung lesions. Mol Cancer 13:78.
- Duca FA, Zhong L, Covasa M. (2013). Reduced CCK signaling in obese-prone rats fed a high fat diet. Horm Behav. 64(5):812-817.
- Dong X, Yang M, Sun H, Lü J, Zheng Z, Li Z, Zhong L. (2013) Combined measurement of CA 15-3 with novel autoantibodies improves diagnostic accuracy for breast cancer. Onco Targets Ther. 6:273-9.
- Zhang, X.; Liu, L.; Fan, J.; Dong, X.; Shen, W.; Gao, X.; Kernstine, K.H.; Zhong, L. (2013) Identification and validation of novel autoantibodies for the detection of malignant mesothelioma. Cancer Research, 73(8)suppl:5300.
- Zhang X, Shen W, Dong X, Fan J, Liu L, Gao X, Kernstine KH, Zhong L. (2013). Identification of novel autoantibodies for detection of malignant mesothelioma. PLoS One, 8(8).
- Zhang B, Zhang Z, Zhang X, Gao X, Kernstine KH, Zhong L. (2012) Serological antibodies against LY6K as a diagnostic biomarker in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Biomarkers. 17(4):372-8.
- Zhou JH, Zhang B, Kernstine KH, Zhong L. Autoantibodies against MMP-7 as a novel diagnostic biomarker in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. (2011) World J Gastroenterol. 17(10):1373-8.
- Zhong L, Zhang W, Zer C, Zhao L, Ge K, Gao X, Kernstine KH. (2010) Protein Microarray: Sensitive and Effective Immunodetection for Drug Residues. BMC Biotechnology,10(1):12.
Invited Presentations (Selected)
- Mesenchymal stem cells promote PD-L1 expression in lung cancer cells. American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) annual meeting, Virtual presentation, June 22, 2020.
- Autoantibody profile as biomarkers for early detection of smoking induced lung cancer.China Tobacco Research Institute, Zhengzhou, China. July 26, 2018.
- Novel autoantigens as targets for immunotherapy for NSCLC. Cancer Detection and Treatment Forum, Zhuhai, China.June 20, 2017.
- Emerging biomarkers for early cancer detection.Hebei University Affiliated Hospital, China.Jun 2, 2016.
- Novel biomarkers for non-small cell lung cancer. Hebei University, Baoding, China. June 7, 2015
- Development of blood tumor marker tests for early cancer detection. Hebei Agriculture University College of Life Sciences, China. Jun 11, 2014.
- British American Tobacco in Southampton, UK. Identification of biomarkers for smoking induced lung cancer. May 14, 2013.
- Hebei University College of Life Sciences, Baoding, China. Combined analysis of serological biomarkers for early cancer detection. June 26, 2012
- 7th Early Detection Research Network (EDRN) Scientific Workshop, Combined measurement of serological tumor-associated antigen and autoantibody for detection of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. September 13-16, 2011, Washington DC.
- International Conference of Wnt Signaling, Organogenesis and Stem Cells, Xiamen, China. 2009.
- American College of Surgeons Oncology Group (ACOSOG) annual meeting in Chicago. Cancer markers in blood samples. 2008.
- Group Research and Development of British American Tobacco Co. Ltd, London, UK. Autoantibodies as Biomarkers for Lung Cancer. 2008.
- The 2nd International Esophageal & Cardiac Cancer Summit, Beijing China. Developing autoantibody tests for detection of ESCC. 2007.
- University of Santiago de Compostela School of Medicine, Santiago, Spain. Autoantibody profile in lung cancer. 2007.