Marcel P. Fraix, DO, MBA, FAAPMR
Associate Professor, Dept. of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Chief, Section of Health Policy & Management, Department of Population Health
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Phone: 909-706-3902 | Fax: 909-469-5444
- MBA: Heath Care Executive MBA Program at the Paul Merage School of Business; University of California at Irvine; Irvine, CA, 2016
- Fellowship: Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine / Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine; Downey Regional Medical Center / Western University of Health Sciences; Downey, CA, 2008
- Residency: Physical Medicine& Rehabilitation; University of California at Davis Medical Center; Sacramento, CA, 2007
- Internship: Pacific Hospital of Long Beach / Western University of Health Sciences; Long Beach, CA, 2004
- Western University of Health Sciences / College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP); Pomona, CA; Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, 2003
- University of California at Los Angeles; Los Angeles, CA; B.S., Physiological Science, 1996
- Diplomate, American Osteopathic Board of Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine
- Diplomate, American Board of Physical Medicine& Rehabilitation
- Osteopathic Medical Board of California
- WesternU Health; Pomona, CA
- Casa Colina Hospital and Centers for Healthcare; Pomona, CA
- Advanced Study of Osteopathic Medicine (ASOM)
- Examining the efficacy of Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT) in individuals with vertigo
- American Osteopathic Association Council on Research and the Osteopathic Heritage Foundation grant for the study “Effectiveness of Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT) and Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy (VRT) Alone or in Combination on Balance and Visual Function in Patients with Vertigo and Somatic Dysfunction.”
- U.C. Irvine Health Care Executive MBA Program Awards - Class of 2016
- Outstanding Leader Award
- Academic Excellence Award
- Dean's Scholar Award
- Outstanding Clinical Faculty for DO Class of 2014 and 2015
- Edward and Jacqueline Perris Award for Academic Excellence / COMP
- Joseph Weiss Memorial Scholarship for exemplifying tenets of Osteopathic Medicine / COMP
- UCLA Alumni Scholarship, Lew and Edie Wasserman Scholarship, Phi Beta Kappa / UCLA
- American Osteopathic College of Physical Medicine& Rehabilitation
- American Academy of Physical Medicine& Rehabilitation
- American Osteopathic Board of Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine / Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
- American Osteopathic Association
- Osteopathic Physicians & Surgeons of Southern California
- Department of Physical Medicine& Rehabilitation
- Department of Population Health
- Clinical Sciences Department
- Admissions Committee
• Fraix M, Gordon A, Graham V, Hurwitz E, Seffinger MA. Use of the SMART Balance Master to quantify the effects of osteopathic manipulative treatment in patients with dizziness. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2013 May;113(5):394-403.
• Fraix M. Role of the musculoskeletal system and the prevention of falls. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2012 Jan;112(1):17-21.
• Fraix M. Osteopathic manipulative treatment and vertigo: a pilot study. PM R. 2010 Jul;2(7):612-8.
• Cao R, Islamoglu H, Teskey G, Gyurjian K, Abrahem R, Onajole OK, Lun S, Bishai W, Kozikowski AP, Fraix MP, Sathananthan A, Zhong L, Stec J, Venketaraman V. The preclinical candidate indole-2-carboxamide improves immune responses to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in healthy subjects and individuals with type 2 diabetes. Int Microbiol. 2019 Jun 19.
• Cao R, Teskey G, Islamoglu H, Gutierrez M, Salaiz O, Munjal S, Fraix MP, Sathananthan A, Nieman DC, Venketaraman V. Flavonoid Mixture Inhibits Mycobacterium tuberculosis Survival and Infectivity. Molecules. 2019 Feb 28;24(5).
• Teskey G, Cao R, Islamoglu H, Medina A, Prasad C, Prasad R, Sathananthan A, Fraix M, Subbian S, Zhong L, Venketaraman V. The Synergistic Effects of the Glutathione Precursor, NAC and First-Line Antibiotics in the Granulomatous Response Against Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Front Immunol. 2018 Sep 12; 9:2069.
• Islamoglu H, Cao R, Teskey G, Gyurjian K, Lucar S, Fraix MP, Sathananthan A, Chan JK, Venketaraman V. Effects of ReadiSorb L-GSH in Altering Granulomatous Responses against Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection. J Clin Med. 2018 Mar 1;7(3). pii: E40.
• Fraix M, Nieman D, Dreibelbis R, Giusti R. Chapter 17: Energy Balance: Nutrition, Exercise and The Metabolic Model. Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine 4th Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 375-401, 2019.
• Fraix M, Nieman D, Giusti R. Chapter 20: Lifestyle Medicine - Osteopathic Perspectives. Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine 4th Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 436-455, 2019.
• Fraix M, Wieting M, Lipton J. Chapter 44: Osteopathic Considerations in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine 4th Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 1319-1331, 2019.
• Fraix M, Seffinger M. Acute Low Back Pain. Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, 3rd Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 1006-17, 2011.
• Hruby R, Fraix M, Giusti R. Cervicogenic Headache. Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, 3rd Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 939-944, 2011.
• Seffinger M, Sanchez J, Fraix M. Acute Neck Pain. Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, 3rd Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 979-988, 2011
Dr. Marcel Fraix received his doctorate in osteopathic medicine from the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific in Pomona, CA. He completed his residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at U.C. Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, CA and fellowship in Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine at Downey Regional Medical Center in Downey, CA.
Dr. Fraix is board certified in Physical Medicine& Rehabilitation, specializes in musculoskeletal medicine, and incorporates osteopathic manipulative medicine into the treatment of sports-related and spine disorders. He is an Associate Professor at Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, CA and has published in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, as well as authored chapters in Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine.
Dr. Fraix also obtained an MBA from the Paul Merage School of Business at U.C. Irvine. He is interested in education and research as it relates to the management leadership and administration of health care systems. He is Chief of the Section of Health Policy & Management in the Department of Population Health.