CARES Act Emergency Student Grants Report
June 12, 2020
The following public information is provided in compliance with Section § 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act for Western University of Health Sciences (WesternU):
- WesternU signed and returned to the Department of Education the Certification and Agreement on April 24, 2020 for the Student Aid portion of the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF). WesternU has used or will use no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- WesternU received notice on May 2, 2020, that it had received an award of $552,850, and this amount was drawn down from the Department of Education on May 12, 2020. This amount represents fifty percent of the total funds to be received by WesternU under Section 18004(a)(1) and will be used by the University to provide emergency financial aid grants to students for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus.
- The total amount of Emergency Financial Aid Grants distributed to 240 students under section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is $552,850.00 as of June 19, 2020.
- The total number of students at WesternU eligible to participate in Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is 3,702
- It is the policy of the Financial Aid Office to distribute CARES Act Emergency funds to students directly impacted by the coronavirus pandemic based on the following:
- Immediate housing and food expenses
- Non enrollment living expenses
- COVID-19 health expenses
- Childcare expenses due to COVID-19
- Electronic devices for distance learning
- Notifications to Students
- Cares Act funding applications were mailed to students on May 12, 2020 with a deadline date of May 29,2020 to return their applications
- Applications will be reviewed from June 3, 2020 through June 12, 2020
- Notice of awards and disbursements will occur by June 19, 2020