•PhD, Clinical Sciences, Sao Paulo State University, College of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences (UNESP – FMVZ), Botucatu, SP, Brazil, 2006.Mentors: Denise S. Schwartz, DVM, MS, PhD andHelio Autran de Morais, DVM, MS, PhD, DACVIM(Internal Medicine, Cardiology)
•Residency in Small Animal Internal Medicine, Sao Paulo State University, College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine (UNESP – FCAV), Jaboticabal, SP, Brazil, 2002.Mentor: AparecidoA. Camacho, DVM, MS, PhD.
•DVM, Sao Paulo State University, College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine (UNESP – FCAV), Jaboticabal, SP, Brazil, 1999.
- Financial Conflict of Interest Training Program. Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, CA. 2013
- Protecting Human Research Participants. National Institute of Health (NIH), Office of Extramural Research, on-line training. 2011.
- Lab Safety. National Institutes of Health (NIH), Division of Occupational Health and Safety. 2010.
- Biological Material Shipping. North Carolina State University, Environmental Health & Safety Center, Raleigh, NC. 2007.
- Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Control. North Carolina State University, Environmental Health & Safety Center, Raleigh, NC. 2005.
- Problem-based learning
- Long-distance and video-based curriculum
- Flipping the classroom
- Digital tools in the classroom
Dr. Diniz has performed numerous lectures about tick-borne diseases, molecular methods of diagnosis, and veterinary cardiology in the USA and in Brazil. He currently collaborates with the University of Sao Paulo, Brazil, in a long distance course about design of clinical studies and statistical analysis.
- CVM 7510 – Core Small Animal Internal Medicine
- CVM 7011 – Small Animal-Mixed Practice II
- CVM5120 – Veterinary Basic and Medical Sciences
- CVM 6120 – Veterinary Basic and Medical Sciences
- CVM 5160 – Veterinary Clinical Sciences and Skills
- CVM 6160 – Veterinary Clinical Sciences and Skills
- CVM 5130– Molecular and Cellular Biology
- CVM 6130– Molecular and Cellular Biology
- CVM 6140– Veterinary Issues
Life is a constant problem-based learning experience: learning how to drive; how to use a smart phone; how to raise your kids… These are simple examples of constant challenges to our learning abilities. Veterinary education is also a great challenge, especially in the 21st century. Making learning an engaging and unique experience in the context of our current society is what inspires and motivates me. My enthusiasm is fed and nurtured by the excitement, passion, and extreme dedication of my students. My joy is to see students reaching a truly “Aha!” moment by discovering and combining different pieces of information when I guide them. As a life-long learner, my goal is to expand veterinary education by exploring and merging established and new didactic techniques. Veterinary medicine is a natural PBL experience, where there are no two equal cases. Good veterinarians are defined by their ability to make multiple connections between areas of knowledge, to provide optimal patient care, to have great communicating skills, and to be life-long learners. The skills provided by student-centered learning combine these desired abilities in harmony. Since I joined the WU-CVM I have witnessed the blossom of not only great veterinarians, but also great thinkers and citizens. I strive to participate in this collaborative effort as my contribution to the society and to future generations.
Dr. Diniz is an ad hoc reviewer for a number of scientific journals and foundations, including:
- Public Library of Science (PLoS One)
- Microbial Ecology
- American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene
- The Veterinary Journal
- Veterinary Microbiology
- Comparative Medicine
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Emerging Infectious Disease Journal
- Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
- Comparative Immunology, Microbiology & Infectious Diseases
- Research in Veterinary Science
- Vector Borne and Zoonotic Diseases Journal
- Parasites and Vectors
- Journal of Applied Microbiology
- American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation
- International Society for Companion Animal Infectious Diseases
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Brazilian Journal of Veterinary Parasitology
- Brazilian Journal of Veterinary Research
- Brazilian Journal of Veterinary Research and Animal Science
- Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation
- Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz
- Revista do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo
- Fundação de Amparo à Ciência e Tecnologia do Estado de Pernambuco
Dr. Diniz has also mentored the following veterinary, undergraduate, and graduate students in research at WesternU:
- Joseph Geiger (MSBS 2019)
- Edward Vasquez (DVM 2019)
- Rebecca Henwood (DVM 2019)
- Dennis Chan (DVM 2018)
- Steven Nguyen (DVM 2018)
- Oren Ofer (DVM 2018)
- Dana Wisniewski (DVM 2017)
- Kaitlin Burgos (DVM 2017)
- Lindsey Jett (DVM 2016). Current position: Smal Animal Rotating Intern at Pittsburg Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center.
- Elyse Persico (DVM 2016). Current position: Associate Veterinarian at Mineola Animal Hospital.
- Allison Marsh (DVM 2015)
- Stanley Sowy (DVM 2014). Current position: Emergency and Critical Care Resident at the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital at Texas A&M University
- Bridget Morton (DVM 2013). Current position: Small Animal Surgery Resident at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champain
- Kursten Roderick (DVM 2012). Current position: Cardiology Resident at Cummings Veterinary Medical Center at Tufts University
- Eric Fish (DVM 2012). Current position: Veterinary Clinical Pathology Resident and PhD student at Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Colin Koziol (Cal Poly graduate student). Current position: scientist at the Kohn Lab at UCLA.
- Maryam Tngrian (Cal Poly undergraduate student). Current position: Quality Assurance Supervisor at Hormel Foods and Instructor at the College of Agriculture at Cal Poly Pomona
- AKC Canine Health Foundation. "Developing a next-generation sequencing diagnostic platform for tick-borne diseases". Principal investigator (withDr. Brian Oakley), 2018-2020.
- USDA NIFA Competitive Grant. "Building strain libraries as alternatives to antibiotics in broiler chickens." Co-ingestigator (PI:Dr. Brian Oakley), 2018-2020.
- Office of the Vice-President for Research and Biotechnology. "Building a computational workflow for metagenomics in Veterinary Medicine". Principal investigator (with Elton Vasconcelos andDr. Brian Oakley), 2017-2018.
- AKC Canine Health Foundation. "Improving and expanding the broad-range detection of canine tick-borne disease diagnostics using next-generation sequencing". Principal investigator (with Dr. Brian Oakley), 2016-2017.
- College of Veterinary Medicine Intramural Educational Grant. "Using the Iphone ECG as a teaching tool in the veterinary curriculum at WesternU". Principal investigator, 2015-2016.
- California Department of Public Health. "Detection of Rickettsia species in cat flea populations recovered from stray or feral cats in typhus endemic and non-endemic areas of California". Co-Principal Investigator, 2013-2014.
- UC Davis Intramural Grant. "Susceptibility of newborn kittens to various Bartonella henselae strains". Center for Companion Animal Health. Co- Investigator. 2013-2015.
- Winn Feline Foundation. "Host immune response of feline kidney cells to pathogenic and non-pathogenic feline coronavirus strains; developing biomarkers for FIP." Co-principal investigator (with Dr. Yvonne Drechsler).
- Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica. "Prevalence of leptospiruria and antibodies against Leptospira spp. in sick dogs in Southern California". Principal Investigator, 2012 - 2013.
- College of Veterinary Medicine Intramural Grant. "Bartonella in dogs from Peru". Principal investigator, 2011-2012.
- Western University of Health Sciences Intramural Grant. “Pharmacokinetics of N-Acetylcysteine in Healthy Cats”. Co-principal investigator (with Dr. Jennifer Buur), 2010-2011.
- Morris Animal Foundation. “Identifying Genetic Determinants Differentiating Feline Coronavirus and Peritonitis Virus Pathotypes”. Co-investigator (with Dr. Yvonne Drechsler), 2010-2012.
- Winn Feline Foundation. “Molecular prevalence and viral load of replicating feline coronavirus in the bloodstream of healthy shelter cats in Southern California”. Principal investigator, 2010-2011.
- Waltham Foundation. “Bartonella spp. bacteremia in canine blood donors”. Co-principal investigator (with Dr. Edward B. Breitschwerdt), 2009-2011.
- Johns Hopkins University. “Epidemiology of Bartonella sp in Brazilian blood donors and domestic animals”. Co-investigator (with Dr. Diana Scorpio), 2009-2011.
2018 Nominated for the Western University Distinguished Teacher of the Year Award
2015 Nominated for the Western University Provost's Distinguished Scholar of the Year Award
2014 Nominated for membership in The Teaching Academy of the Consortium of West Region Colleges of Veterinary Medicine
2013 Awarded the Zoetis Award for Veterinary Research Excellence
2012 Nominated Pfizer Animal Health Distinguished Veterinary Teacher Award
2011 Nominated Pfizer Animal Health Distinguished Veterinary Teacher Award
2010 Nominated Pfizer Animal Award for Research Excellence
2007 Recipient of American Society for RickettsiologyTravel Award
American Veterinary Medical Association
Phi Zeta Veterinary Honor Society
California Veterinary Medical Association
International Society for Companion Animal Infectious Diseases
Infectious Disease Special Interest Group. American College of Veterinary Medicine
American Society of Rickettsiology
Vice-leader of Brazilian Research Group of Veterinary Cardiology, CNPq.
- Chair of the Instructional Resources Committee, 2015 - 2016.
- Chair of the Research Committee.WesternU. 2014 - 2015.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Center for Clinical and Translational Research at WesternU
- Member of the Technology Task Force Meeting, 2017 - Present
- Member of the CVM Promotion and Tenure Committee, 2016- 2018.
- Member of the Instructional Resources Committee. WesternU - CVM. 2014 - 2015.
- Member of the CVM Interprofessional Education Task Force, WesternU CVM, 2014 - 2015.
Up-to-date list of citations available at Google Scholar:goo.gl/vkvg7J.
NIH Biosketch available at:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/pedro paulo.diniz.1/cv/129651/
- Diniz PPVP. Canine Bartonellosis. In:Ettinger S, Feldman E, Côté E (Ed). Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 8th edition. 2017
- Diniz PPVP. Lyme Disease (Clinical Case). In: Hartmann K, Sykes J (Ed). Canine Infectious Diseases: Self-Assessment Color Review. CRC Press. 1st edition. 2016.
- Diniz PPVP. Canine Babesiosis (Clinical Case).In: Hartmann K, Sykes J (Ed). Canine Infectious Diseases: Self-Assessment Color Review.CRC Press. 1st edition. 2016.
- Diniz PPVP. Heartworm Disease (Clinical Case).In: Hartmann K, Sykes J (Ed). Canine Infectious Diseases: Self-Assessment Color Review.CRC Press. 1st edition. 2016.
- Diniz PPVP. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (Clinical Case).In: Hartmann K, Sykes J (Ed). Canine Infectious Diseases: Self-Assessment Color Review.CRC Press. 1st edition. 2016.
- Diniz PPVP. Canine Bartonellosis (Clinical Case).In: Hartmann K, Sykes J (Ed). Canine Infectious Diseases: Self-Assessment Color Review.CRC Press. 1st edition. 2016.
- Diniz PPVP. Canine Anaplasmosis (Clinical Case).In: Hartmann K, Sykes J (Ed). Canine Infectious Diseases: Self-Assessment Colour Review. CRC Press. 1st edition. 2016.ess).
- Diniz PPVP. Canine Granulocytic Ehrlichiosis (Clinical Case).In: Hartmann K, Sykes J (Ed). Canine Infectious Diseases: Self-Assessment Colour Review.CRC Press. 1st edition. 2016.
- Diniz PPVP. Canine Monocytic Ehrlichiosis (Clinical Case).In: Hartmann K, Sykes J (Ed). Canine Infectious Diseases: Self-Assessment Colour Review.CRC Press. 1st edition. 2016.
- Diniz PPVP. Canine Bartonellosis. In: Bonagura JD (Ed). Kirk’s Current Veterinary Therapy. XV edition, Elsevier, p.1261-1267, 2013.
- Diniz PPVP, EB Breitschwerdt. Canine Granulocytotropic Anaplasmosis (A. phagocytophilum Infection). Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, edited by Craig Greene. Saunders, 4th edition, Elsevier, p.244-254, 2011.
- Diniz PPVP, AJ Birkenheuer. Canine Granulocytic Anaplasmosis. In: Etienne Côté (Ed). Clinical Veterinary Advisor, 2 ed, Elsevier, p.66-68, 2011.
- Diniz, PPVP, AJ Birkenheuer. Canine Monocytic Ehrlichiosis. In: Etienne Côté (Ed). Clinical Veterinary Advisor, 2 ed, Elsevier, p.334-336, 2011.
Selected Research Articles
- Chan D, Geiger JA, Vasconcelos EJR, Oakely B, Diniz PPVP. Bartonella rochalimae detection by a sensitive and specific PCR platform. Am. J Trop. Med Hygiene. 2018. (Abstract/Full text)
- Geiger J, Morton BA, Vasconcelos EJR, Tngrian M, et al. Molecular characterization of tandem repeat protein 36 gene of Ehrlichia canis detected in naturally infected dogs from Peru. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hygiene, 99(2):297-302, 2018 (Abstract/Full text)
- Oakley BB, Vasconcelos, EJR, Diniz PPVP, et al. The cecal microbiome of commercial broiler chickens varies significantly by season. Poutry Sci. 2018. (Abstract/Full Text)
- Vasconcelos EJR, Billeter SA, Jett LA, Meinersmann RJ, Barr MC, Diniz PPVP, Oakley BB. Assessing cat flea microbiomes in Northen and Southern California by 16S rRNA Next-Geneartion Sequencing. Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Disases, 18(9), 2018. (Abstract/Full text)
- Yancey CB, Diniz PPVP, Breitschwerdt EB et al. Doxycycline treatment efficacy in dogs with naturally occurring Anaplasma phagocytophilum infection. J. Small Animal Practice. 59(5): 286-293, 2018. (Abstract/Full text)
- Fish EJ, Diniz PPVP, Juan YC, Bossong F, Collisson EW, Drechsler Y, Kaltenboeck B. A cross-sectional quantitative RT-PCR study of feline coronavirus viremia and replication in peripheral blood of healthy shelter cats in Southern California. J Feline Med Surg.20(4), 295-301, 2018 (Abstract/Full text)
- Drummond MR, Lania BG, Diniz PPVP, et al. Improvement of Bartonella henselae DNA detection in cat blood samples by combining molecular and culture methods. J. Clin. Microbiol, 2018 (Abstract/Full text)
- Velho PENF, Drummond MR, Adad MAH, Cintra ML, Sowy S, Diniz PPVP. Chronic lymphadenopathy caused by a Brazilian strain of Bartonella henselae. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 2017 Sep 4;59:e62. (Full text)
- Schmid DR, Lee JA, Wismer TA, Diniz PPVP, Murtaugh RJ. Isoniazid toxicosis in dogs: 137 cases (2004-2014). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2017 Sep 15;251(6):689-695. (Abstract/Full text)
- Diniz PPVP, Velho PE, Pitassi LH et al. Risk factors for Bartonella species infection in blood donors from Southeast Brazil. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases,10(3):e0004509, 2016. (Full text)
- Billeter SA, Diniz PPVP, Jet LA, et al.Detection of Rickettsia Species in Fleas Collected from Cats in Regions Endemic and Nonendemic for Flea-Borne Rickettsioses in California. Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, 16(3):151-156, 2016 (Abstract).
- Pitassi LHU, Diniz PPVP, Scorpio DG, Drummond MR, et al. Bartonella spp. bacteremia in blood donors from Campinas, Brazil. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 9(1):e0003467, 2016 (Full text).
- Fleischman DA, Chomel BB, Burgos K, Kasten RW, Stuckey MJ, Durden MR, MIrrashed H, Diniz PPVP.Impact of queen infection on kitten susceptibility to different strains of Bartonella henselae. Veterinary Microbiology, 180(3): 268-272, 2015. (Abstract).
- Vieira-Daiani G, Diniz PPVP, Pitassi LHU et al.Bartonella clarridgeiae bacteremia detected in an asymptomatic blood donor.Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 53(1):352-356, 2015 (Abstract).
- Yancey CB, Hegarty BC, Qurollo BA, Levy MG, Birkenheuer AJ, Weber DJ, Diniz PPVP, Breitschwerdt EB. Regional seroreactivity and vector-borne disease co-exposures in dogs in the United States from 2004 – 2010: utility of canine surveillance. Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, 14(10):724-732, 2014. (Full text)
- Diniz PPVP, Morton BA, Tngrian M, Kachani M, et al. Infection of domestic dogs in Peru by zoonotic Bartonella Species: a cross-sectional prevalence study of 219 asymptomatic dogs. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, Sep 5;7(9):e2393, 2013. (Abstract) (Full text).
- Morton B, Diniz PPVP. Detection of Bartonella quintana from human and feline whole blood by single-tube PCR without DNA extraction. Microbiology Discovery, 1, 7, 2013. (Full text).
- Vera CP,PPVP Diniz, Pultorak EL, Maggi RG, Breitschwerdt EB. An unmatched case controlled study of clinicopathologic abnormalities in dogs with Bartonella infection. Comparative Immunology, Microbiology & Infectious Diseases, 36(5):481-7, 2013. (Abstract) (Full text).
- Buur J, Diniz PPVP, Roderick K, KuKanich B, Tegzes J. Pharmacokinetics of N-Acetylcysteine after oral and intravenous administration to healthy cats. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 74(2):290-293, 2013. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Chomel BB, McMillan-Cole AC, Kasten RW, Stuckey MJ, Sato S, Maruyama S, Diniz PPVP, Breitschwerdt EB. Candidatus Bartonella merieuxii, a potential new zoonotic Bartonella species in canids from Iraq. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 2012 Sep;6(9):e1843, 1-9. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Braga MDOS, Diniz PPVP, André MR, de Bortoli CP, Machado RZ. Molecular characterization of Bartonella species in cats from São Luís, state of Maranhão, Northeastern Brazil. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2012 Sep;107(6):772-7. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Di Cicco MF, Downey ME, Beeler E, Marr H, Cyrog P, Kidd L, Diniz PPVP, Cohn LA, Birkenheuer AJ. Re-emergence of Babesia conradae and effective treatment of infected dogs with atovaquone and azithromycin. Veterinary Parasitology, 2012 Jun 8;187(1-2):23-7. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Ayllón T, PPVP Diniz, EB Breitschwerdt, A Villaescusa, F Rodríguez-Franco, A Sainz. Vector-borne diseases in client-owned and stray cats from Madrid, Spain. Vector Borne and Zoonotic Diseases Journal, 2012 Feb;12(2):143-50. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Drechsler Y, A Alcaraz, FJ Bossong, EW Collisson, PPVP Diniz. Feline coronavirus in multi-cat environments. Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice, Nov;41(6):1133-69, 2011. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Diniz PPVP, BS Schulz, K Hartmann, EB Breitschwerdt.CandidatusNeoehrlichia mikurensis infection in a dog from Germany. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 2011 49(5)"2059-2062, 2011 (Abstract) (Full text)
- Vieira RFC, AW Biondo, AMS Guimarães, AP Santos, RP Santos, LH Dutra, PPVP Diniz, et al. Ehrlichiosis in Brazil. Brazilian Journal of Veterinary Parasitology, 20(1):1-12, 2011. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Pérez C, RG Maggi, PPVP Diniz, EB Breitschwerdt. Molecular and serological diagnosis of Bartonella infection in 61 dogs from the USA. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Jul-Aug;25(4):805-10, 2011. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Ebert M, EB Breitschwerdt, PPVP Diniz, M Beall, R Chandrashekar, B Stillman. Typical and atypical manifestations of Anaplasma phagocytophilum infection in dogs. Journal of American Animal Hospital Association, Nov;47(6):e86-94, 2011. (Abstract) (Full text)
- O’Connor TP, Saucier J, Daniluk D, Stillman BA, Krah R, Rikihisa Y, Xiong Q, Yabsley MJ, Adams DS, Diniz PPVP. et al. Development of peptide- and recombinant protein-based assays for detection of Ehrlichia ewingii antibodies in experimentally and naturally-infected dogs. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 71(10): 1195-1200, 2010. (Abstract)
- Otranto D, de Caprariis D, Lia RP, Tarallo V, Lorusso V, Testini G, Dantas-Torres F, Latrofa S., Diniz PPVP et al. Prevention of endemic canine vector-borne diseases using imidacloprid 10% and permethrin 50% in young dogs: A longitudinal field study. Veterinary Parasitology, 172(3-4):323-32, 2010. (Abstract)
- Otranto D, Testini G, Dantas-Torres F, Latrofa M, Diniz PPVP, et al. Diagnosis of canine vector-borne diseases in young dogs: a longitudinal study. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 48(9):3316–3324, 2010. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Perez C, Hummel J, Keene B, Maggi R, Diniz PPVP, Breitschwerdt E. Successful treatment of Bartonella henselae endocarditis in a cat. Journal of Feline Medicine & Surgery, 12:483-6, 2010. (Abstract)
- Diniz PPVP, MJ Beall, K Omark, R Chandrashekar, D Daniluk, KE CYR, JF Koterski, RG Robbins, P Lalo, BC Hegarty, EB Breitschwerdt. High prevalence of tick-borne pathogens in dogs from an Indian reservation in Northeastern Arizona. Vector Borne and Zoonotic Diseases Journal, 10(2):117-123, 2010. (Abstract)
- Mylonakis M, Kritsepi-Konstantinou M, Dumler J, Diniz PPVP, Day M, Siarkou V, et al. Severe hepatitis associated with acute Ehrlichia canis infection in a dog. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 24(3):633-8, 2010. (Abstract)
- Gaunt S, Beall M, Stillman B, Lorentzen L, Diniz PPVP, Chandrashekar R, et al. Experimental infection and co-infection of dogs with Anaplasma platys and Ehrlichia canis: hematologic, serologic and molecular findings. Parasites & Vectors, 3(1):33, 2010. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Barber R, Li Q, Diniz PPVP, Porter B, Breitschwerdt EB, Claiborne M, et al. Evaluation of Brain Tissue or Cerebrospinal Fluid with Broadly Reactive Polymerase Chain Reaction for Ehrlichia, Anaplasma, Spotted Fever Group Rickettsia, Bartonella, and Borrelia species in Canine Neurological Diseases (109 Cases). Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 24(2):372-8, 2010. (Abstract)
- Sontakke S, MB Cadenas, RG Maggi, PPVP Diniz, EB Breitschwerdt. Clinical and Microbiological Applications of Broad Range 16S rRNA PCR. Journal of Microbiological Methods, 76(3):217-225, 2009. (Abstract)
- Hegarty BC, PPVP Diniz, JM Bradley, L Lorentzen, EB Breitschwerdt. Clinical relevance of annual screening using a commercial ELISA (Snap® 3Dx®) for canine ehrlichiosis. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association, 45(3):118-124, 2009. (Abstract)
- Diniz PPVP, M Wood, RG Maggi, et al. Co-isolation of Bartonella henselae and Bartonella vinsonii subsp. berkhoffii from blood, joint and subcutaneous seroma fluids from two naturally infected dogs. Veterinary Microbiology, 138(3-4):368–372, 2009. (Abstract)
- Diniz PPVP, SA Billeter, D. Otranto, et al. Molecular documentation of Bartonella spp. infection in dogs from Greece and Italy. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 47(5):1565-1567, 2009. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Cockwill KR, SM Taylor, ECR Snead, R Dickinson, K Cosford, S Malek, PPVP Diniz. Granulocytic anaplasmosis in three dogs from Saskatoon. The Canadian Veterinary Journal, 50(8):835-840, 2009. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Cherry, N.A. PPVP Diniz, RG Maggi et al. Isolation or molecular detection of Bartonella henselae and Bartonella vinsonii subsp. berkhoffii from dogs with idiopathic cavitary effusions. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 23(1):186-189, 2009. (Abstract)
- Breitschwerdt E, R Maggi, M Cadenas, PPVP Diniz. A groundhog, a novel Bartonella sequence, and my father's death. Emerging infectious diseases, 15(12):2080, 2009. (Full text)
- Billeter SA, PPVP Diniz, JM Battisti, UG Munderloh, EB Breitschwerdt, M Levy. Invasion and replication of Bartonella species within a tick cell line. Experimental and Applied Acarology, 49(3):193-208, 2009. (Abstract)
- Diniz PPVP, HSA De Morais, EB Breitschwerdt, DS Schwartz. Serum cardiac troponin I concentration in dogs with ehrlichiosis. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 22(5):1136-1143, 2008. (Abstract)
- Petanides T, M Mylonakis, M Day, M Saridomichelakis, L Leontides, R Mischke, PPVP Diniz, EB Breitschwerdt, M Kritsepi, V Garipidou, C Koutinas, S Lekkas. Factors associated with the occurrence of epistaxis in natural canine leishmaniosis (Leishmania infantum). Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 22(4): 866-872, 2008. (Abstract)
- Beall MJ, R Chandrashekar, MD Eberts, KE Cyr, PPVP Diniz, C Mainville, BC Hegarty, JM Crawford, EB Breitschwerdt. Serological and molecular prevalence ofBorrelia burgdorferi, Anaplasma phagocytophilum, andEhrlichia species in dogs from Minnesota. Vector Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, 8(4)455-464, 2008. (Abstract)
- Kidd L, RG Maggi, PPVP Diniz, BC Hegarty, M Tucker, EB Breitschwerdt. Evaluation of conventional and real-time PCR assays for detection and differentiation of Spotted Fever Group Rickettsia in dog blood. Veterinary Microbiology, 129: 294–303, 2008. (Abstract)
- Ferreira Velho PEN, V. Pimentel, GMB Del Negro, PPVP Diniz, EB Breitschwerdt. Severe anemia, panserositis and cryptogenic hepatitis in a HIV patient infected with Bartonella henselae. Ultrastructural Pathology, 31:373–377, 2007. (Abstract)
- Eddlestone SM, PPVP Diniz, TM Neer, SD Gaunt, R Corstvet, D Cho, G Hosgood, BC Hegarty, EB Breitschwerdt. Doxycycline clearance of experimentally induced chronic Ehrlichia canis infection in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 21:1237-1242, 2007. (Abstract)
- Cadenas MB, RG Maggi, PPVP Diniz, KT Breitschwerdt, S Sontakke, EB Breitschwerdt. Identification of bacteria from clinical samples using Bartonella alpha-Proteobacteria growth medium. Journal of Microbiological Methods, 71(2):147–155, 2007. (Abstract)
- Diniz PPVP, DS Schwartz, HSA De Morais, EB Breitschwerdt. Surveillance for zoonotic vector-borne infections using sick dogs from southeastern Brazil. Journal of Vector Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, 7(4):689-698, 2007. (Abstract)
- Diniz PPVP, RG Maggi, DS Schwartz, MB Cadenas, JM Bradley, BC Hegarty, EB Breitschwerdt. Canine bartonellosis: serological and molecular prevalence in Brazil and evidence of co-infection with Bartonella henselae and Bartonella vinsonii subsp. berkhoffii. Veterinary Research, 38:697–710, 2007. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Diniz PPVP, DS Schwartz, RC Collicchio-Zuanaze. Cardiac trauma confirmed by cardiac markers in dogs: two case reports. Brazilian Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 59(1):85-89, 2007. (Abstract) (Full text)
- Diniz PPVP, MG Sousa, DG Gerardi, M Tinucci-Costa. Amphetamine poisoning in a dog: case report, literature review and veterinary medical perspectives. Veterinary and Human Toxicology, 45(6):315-317, 2003. (Abstract)
I am a small animal internist who fell in love with vector-borne diseases and spent the last 14 years expanding our understanding about these intriguing pathogens. My training in internal medicine, with extensive experience in diagnosing and treating client-owned dogs with vector-borne diseases in South America, combined with my advanced training in molecular diagnostics at one of the leading research labs in the USA has afforded me the expertise to serve as the principal investigator of a multidisciplinary team. My career goal is to improve animal and human health by translating basic science into applied science. My current objective has been on understanding the role of domestic animals in the ecology of zoonotic vector-borne diseases. The main focus of my research has been on improving diagnostic methods for vector-borne diseases such as Anaplasma spp., Bartonella spp., Ehrlichia spp., Rickettsia spp., among others and determine their epidemiology. As a veterinarian and scientist, I have collaborated with medical doctors, public health officials, microbiologists, virologists, epidemiologists, biologists and ecologists, from the USA and abroad, in elucidating the complex and intricate role of these pathogenic organisms in human and animal populations.