The College of Health Sciences supports Western University of Health Sciences (WesternU) in its mission to increase the availability of health care providers to serve the needs of the people living in the western region of the United States. In addition, the College of Health Sciences provides educational opportunities for students in a variety of health careers. Classes are offered in an environment intended to foster respect for the uniqueness of humanity. Students are provided with classroom and clinical experiences designed to prepare them to function as competent health care practitioners.
There are four academic programs offered in the College of Health Sciences.
Use the following links to learn more about them:
If you want to advance your career by becoming a leader in health professions education or community health education, then consider WesternU’s highly regarded Master of Science in Health Sciences program, which offers two tracks:
- Health Professions Education (HPE) – designed for people who are planning to teach or who currently teach in the health sciences or health professions.
- Community Health Education (CHE) – designed for people who wish to create, implement, and evaluate community-based health education programs.
Emphasis is placed on applied leadership, organizational dynamics, and the executive skills necessary to meet the administrative needs of health education teams in a variety of settings.
As health care changes, Physician Assistants are increasingly valued as vital members of the health care team. WesternU’s Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies (MSPA) graduates are in high demand and enjoy careers that are rewarding both personally and professionally.
WesternU’s two-year (six semester) MSPA program will prepare students to demonstrate:
- Competency in established and evolving core medial and clinical sciences knowledge with an application to patient care in diverse settings
- Interpersonal and communication skills that result in effective information exchange with patients, families, health care providers, professional associates, and the health care system
- Care that is effective, patient-centered, compassionate, timely, efficient, and equitable for the treatment of health problems and the promotion of wellness
- A high level of responsibility, ethical practice, sensitivity to a diverse patient population, and adherence to legal and regulatory requirements
- Critical analysis, evaluation, and improved patient care practices throughout their ongoing education and practice
- An awareness of and responsiveness to the larger system of health care to provide patient care that is of optimal value
Now that you’ve decided to embark on a career in physical therapy, the next question is where to obtain your degree? Consider Western University of Health Sciences. We offer a fully-accredited Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program that prepares you to work as an independent practitioner and as a member of an interprofessional healthcare team. At WesternU you will study basic sciences, complete specialized courses, engage in the clinical experiences you need to pass your licensure exam and become practice-ready. When you graduate you will be prepared to take on the increasing role that physical therapists currently play in the healthcare system.
This is an exciting time for the profession of Occupational therapy, with the demand for skilled occupational therapists rising in settings such as hospitals, schools, skilled nursing facilities, pediatric and community-based settings such as mental health clinics and driving rehabilitation. There has never been a better time to join the new doctorate in occupational therapy program at Western University in Oregon. Over a span of 3 years, the program will provide students with ad dynamic hands-on education to become not only exceptional occupational therapists but leaders in the field, both locally and globally. Students will be introduced to cutting edge contemporary and emerging practice techniques and equipment. Following the mission and vision of Western University’s College of Health Sciences, graduates will be holistic in their care and improve the health and wellbeing of all populations.
E-Mail: College of Health Sciences
Western University of Health Sciences
College of Health Sciences
450 E. Second St.
Pomona, CA 91766
Keep up-to-date with the latest news and announcements from WesternU!