Skip to Content Skip to Footer
WesternU / Harriet K. and Philip Pumerantz Library / University Archives / Transferring Records to the Archives

Transferring Records to the Archives

Guidelines For Transferring Records to The University Archives

The University Archives values its history. By transferring your office’s records, you will be a part of the collective memory. The University Archives collects inactive records (primary functions completed) of university administrative offices, academic schools, and departments that document its policies and decision-making processes, community and culture, and programs and events that have lasting value and historical importance. Records lacking these qualities for permanent preservation should be destroyed in accordance with the records retention schedule.

The archive is interested in the following materials in all formats:

  • Founding and incorporation documents
  • Accreditation documentation
  • Minutes and proceedings of Board of Trustees, administrative and academic committees and task forces
  • Correspondence, subject, and speech files of key administrators
  • Summary financial records
  • Statistics and surveys
  • Policy and procedures, including handbooks
  • Academic program materials (course catalogs, curriculum changes and program proposals)
  • Records of official events, brochures, invitations, and publicity material
  • Organizational charts and directories
  • Maps and architectural drawings
  • Journals, magazines, posters, and newsletters
  • Audio visual materials, both official and promotional
  • Biographical material on alumni, faculty and staff
  • Artifacts and memorabilia

The following records that do not have enduring or historical value and should not be sent to the University Archives:

  • Active records (work related to the records is ongoing, and the records are frequently consulted)
  • Payroll records
  • Personnel records
  • Purchase order and receipts
  • Travel authorizations and reimbursements
  • Reference or convenience copies (documents not produced by your office) – These records are transferred to the archives by the office of origin.

Records from student organizations are also welcome and include:

  • Associated Students founding documents: constitutions and by-laws
  • Student club records
  • Annual activity reports
  • Meeting minutes
  • Officers’ correspondence files
  • Membership rosters
  • Student club newsletters
  • Scrapbooks and photographs

Procedure for Transferring Paper and Electronic Records

The University Archives recommends reviewing your office records annually.

  1. Identify records for transfer following the guidelines.
  2. Complete the University Archives Transfer Form for Department and Administrative Units or for Student Organizations. Retain a copy of the transfer form for your records.
  3. When you are ready to transfer the records, contact The University Archivist will provide instructions on how to transfer paper and electronic records.
  4. When transferring the records, include the completed University Archives Transfer form.

University Archives Transfer Form

Please keep a copy of the transfer form for your records. This form will detail what is being transferred, the date range of the records, and whether any of the records contain confidential information. Additionally, the form will document your records transfer to the University Archives and will be helpful in retrieving the files should you request to see them in the future.

Preparation of Paper Records

To facilitate processing the records by the University Archives staff, please follow these guidelines:

  • Folders should have securely attached labels, and titles should reflect the contents of the folder.
  • Maintain the original order of the files.
  • Remove extraneous fasteners, such as binder clips, rubber bands, and paper clips.
  • Clearly label the boxes with your department name and box number.
  • An inventory list of folder titles should accompany the materials being transferred or emailed.