Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Walk with a Doc
WesternU / Financial Aid / National Student Loan Data Service – NSLDS

National Student Loan Data Service – NSLDS

National Student Loan Data Service – NSLDS

The National Student Loan Data Service (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education’s (ED’s) central database for student aid. NSLDS receives data from schools, guaranty agencies, the Direct Loan program, and other Department of ED programs. NSLDS Student Access provides a centralized, integrated view of Title IV loans and grants so that recipients of Title IV Aid can access and inquire about their Title IV loans and/or grant data.

Students may access their federal student loan history through the National Student Data Service.

NSLDS Most Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ’s

Information About My Loans and Grants

  • Where does my student aid information come from?

    The loans and grants listed on this web site have been reported from different sources. In general, the agency that authorized the aid award is responsible for reporting aid information to NSLDS. Direct loans are reported by the Direct Loan Servicing Center, Perkins loans are reported by schools (or their agent), and grants are reported by the U.S. Department of Education’s Common Origination and Disbursement System.

  • How current is this information?

    Grant information is reported to NSLDS daily. New loans are reported to NSLDS within 30 days of receipt of funds. If you have been making payments on a loan, the outstanding principal balance listed by NSLDS may be as much as 120 days old. You can contact the loan servicer for more up-to-date balance information.

  • Who has access to this information?

    Federal privacy laws protect this information. The only people who can access NSLDS are those individuals that need the information to calculate your future aid eligibility, or to resolve questions about your loans or grants on a need-to-know basis.

  • What do I do if my loan data is incorrect?

    NSLDS is a repository of information and is not permitted to change the data that it receives. If you detect inaccurate information, you should contact the agency that submitted the information to NSLDS because it is probably incorrect in the agency’s files as well. For corrections to Perkins loans you can contact the school; and for Direct loans you can contact the Direct Loan Servicer.

  • How can I get the latest balance information?

    You can call the current loan servicer. If one is not listed, then contact the lender. Some servicers have web sites that can give you current account information. When available, we have provided links to their sites.

  • What does loan status mean?

    The loan status code reflects the loan servicer’s current disposition for collecting the loan. If you are currently in school or in your grace period, your loan is in deferred status, and you do not have to make payments. Other loan statuses reflect loans that are in repayment, default, or have been cancelled.

  • Where are the loans from my medical/nursing programs? Where is my work-study award?

    NSLDS has information only on Title IV loans and grants. Nursing and medical loans are part of the Federal government’s Title VII programs and are not reported to NSLDS. You can review your promissory note to determine if it is a Title IV loan. Work-study awards are administered with Title IV funds by the schools and are not reported to NSLDS. Contact your school for questions regarding your work-study award.

  • Where are my parent’s PLUS loans?

    The only loans that are listed are those for which you are responsible for repaying. PLUS loans taken out by your parents on your behalf are not legally your responsibility. Your parents may review their PLUS loans by entering the web site using their identifiers and their own PIN.

  • My school says I’m not eligible for additional aid due to an overpayment.

    You can check with the financial aid office listed on the reported overpayment.