Skip to Content Skip to Footer
WesternU Anderson Tower at night with lighted sign.


Here you will find answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), financial aid processing, and special circumstances that affect financial aid awards offers.

What is Western University’s School Code?

Western University’s school code for the California and Oregon campuses is 024827

  • Application and FAFSA

    How do I apply?

    For all federal financial aid programs, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FAFSA on the Web is a free U.S. Department of Education Web site where students can complete an online FAFSA .The school code for Western University of Health Sciences is 024827. In order to complete an electronic application or make corrections via the web, students will need a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA) when logging into certain U.S. Department of Education website. Students can create and FSA ID on the Federal Student Aid website FAFSA. All students are encouraged to file electronically to minimize processing time.

    What is a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID?

    An FSA ID is a username and password that you must use to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education (ED) websites. Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

    FSA ID

    Is parental information needed for the FAFSA?

    Students entering Western University of Health Sciences are considered independent. Therefore parental information is optional but may be required for some scholarships.

    How do I confirm my FAFSA is complete ?

    Students will receive a confirmation number upon completion of the FAFSA. If a valid email address was included on the application, the Department of Education will email you instructions on how to access your Student Aid Report (SAR). Otherwise, it will be mailed to you. The SAR summarizes the information you provided on your FAFSA. Review it carefully to make sure it is correct and complete. We suggest you keep a copy for your records.

    How do I confirm WesternU received my FAFSA?

    If you included the WesternU school code on your FAFSA, we will send you a receipt of acknowledgement to your WesternU email.

    If I filed my FAFSA online and did not use my FSA ID, how many days do I have to mail the signature page to Department of Education?

    The Central Processing Center (CPS) will hold your FAFSA information for 14 days. Your application will be processed once your signature is received. Once complete, electronic results will be sent to the schools listed on the FAFSA. The electronic results will be transmitted to WesternU until the signature page is obtained at CPS. Students’ prompt response is necessary to complete the FAFSA process.

    Who has access to the information on the FAFSA?

    The Financial Aid Office at WesternU has access to your financial information. All information is kept confidential between student and the aid administrator.

    Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid?

    No. You can apply for financial aid any time after October 1 of each year (subject to change). To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at least half time at WesternU to receive federal funds.

    Do I need to apply for financial aid each year?

    Yes. Students are required to file a FAFSA by March 2nd of each year if you intend on receiving financial aid.

  • Verification

    What is Verification?

    A process required by federal regulations for schools to verify information that has been reported on the FAFSA by the student.

    Why was I selected for Verification?

    Because sometimes students make errors on their application.

    What happens now?

    The Financial Aid Office will contact the student via e-mail notification of the additional required documentation to be completed. Students need to follow the instructions and complete all documentation in a timely manner (10 days from receipt of the initial letter).

    Will I receive financial aid?

    Once all of the documentation has been received, the Financial Aid Office (FAO) will review the information and make any adjustments and or corrections to the application as necessary. After the adjustments/corrections have been approved, the FAO will be able to award the student. If however, the proper documentation is not completed by the deadline date the students financial aid will be delayed or terminated.

  • Processing/Eligibility

    How is my financial aid determined?

    All federal financial aid is determined by comparing your resources to a predetermined student budget. The Financial Aid Office determines the budget annually. All students in graduate school are automatically considered independent. Resources are calculated with the contributions of student and spouse. All these contributions are added to any other support such as Social Security, or GI Bill payments. The total is subtracted from the student’s budget, and the difference is the student’s financial need. After deducting all reported scholarships and other resources, the student receives an offer of financial aid also known as an award offer letter.

    When will the financial aid award process start?

    The award process begins in early spring. Students will receive instructions on how to accept or decline any portion of their award offer via their WesternU email address, via the student westernU portal.

    What if my financial situation changes?

    Financial aid recipients are required to report in writing any changes in their status, including but not limited to student and spousal earnings, resources from family, receipt of financial support from other WesternU departments, receipt of financial support from outside agencies, changes in marital status, etc. A financial aid counselor will review the documentation, and make adjustments as necessary to the student’s financial aid award offer.

    What if I have unusual circumstances?

    Make an appointment to see a financial aid counselor.

    Should I apply for financial aid?

    Yes. Some students mistakenly think they do not qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by failing to apply for it. In addition, there are other sources of aid such as the Grad PLUS Loan, Unsubsidized Stafford Loans that are available regardless of need. The Grad PLUS Loan and Private or alternative loans are available on a credit basis.

  • Name and Address Changes

    What should I do if my last name and/or personal information has changed?

    To change personal information, select the Edit My FSA ID tab on the FSA ID home page FSA ID . Log in to your FSA ID profile and then select the Edit My FSA ID link found on the top left side of the My FSA ID Profile page. If the Social Security Administration (SSA) already verified the information, a student will not be able to change a Social Security number. Only changes to name or date of birth (DOB) can be made. If changes to your name or DOB are made, the updated information will be sent to SSA. A student will have limited access to certain applications until the information is verified with the SSA. Upon completion of verification with the SSA (1-3 days), a student will be able to use the FSA ID to access personal information on Federal Student Aid websites.

    • You must also contact the registrar’s office with your name change, please go to Registrar forms/requests for further instructions.

    How do I update my mailing address?

    You must contact the Registrars’ Office with any address changes, please go Registrar forms/requests to for further instructions.

  • Master Promissory Note

    What is the Master Promissory Note (MPN)?

    The Master Promissory Note is a legal binding contract promising to pay back your Direct Federal loans. The note also includes language about your rights and responsibilities as borrower (please see below Rights and Responsibilities).


  • Rights and Responsibilities as a Direct Loan Borrower

    What are my rights as a direct Loan Borrower?

    You have the right to:

    • written information about your loan obligation, information on loan consolidation and refinancing, and a list of your rights and responsibilities as a borrower.
    • a copy of your promissory note and return of the note when your loan is paid in full.
    • information, before you begin repayment, on interest rates, fees you might be charged and how they are collected, and the total balance owed on your loans.
    • a loan repayment schedule that lets you know, before you begin repayment, when your first payment is due, the number and frequency of payments, and the amount of each payment.
    • an explanation of default and its consequences.
    • an explanation of the grace period, and of federal interest benefits, if you qualify for those benefits.
    • pre-pay your loan at any time without penalty.
    • a description of applicable deferment, forbearance and discharge provisions.

    What are my responsibilities as a Direct Loan Borrower?

    You have responsibility to:

    • repay the loan according to the loan repayment schedule even if you don’t receive a bill or repayment notice.
    • notify the Direct Loan Servicing Center in advance if you will be late in making a payment or if you are unable to make payments.
    • notify the Direct Loan Servicing Center of anything that affects your ability to repay, or your eligibility for a deferment, forbearance or cancellation.
    • notify the College, if you are still enrolled, or the Direct Loan Servicing Center of any change in your name, address, Social Security Number or any change in your employer’s name or address.
    • notify the Direct Loan Servicing Center if you fail to enroll for the period covered by the loan, or if you graduate, withdraw from school, begin attending less than half-time, or transfer to another school.
    • receive online or in-person entrance counseling before you are given your first loan disbursement and exit counseling before you leave school.

    Please refer to your master promissory note for a full statement and additional information about the terms and conditions of your loans.

  • Additional Questions

    Can international students get financial aid?

    To receive funds from the Financial Aid Office a student must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident of the United States . Alternative private loans may be available to international students. Lenders require a creditworthy co-borrower who is a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident in order to qualify and must be credit worthy.

    What if my financial aid is delayed?

    Financial aid recipients may be eligible for an emergency loan. These are short term, interest free advance for students who have a delay in receiving their financial aid. Repayment is required within 90 days and payment will be withheld from future financial aid disbursements. Emergency loans are not available for periods of non-enrollment. Emergency loans are limited to availability, and only available to students with an upcoming approved financial aid loan disbursement. Please contact the Bursar’s Office to verify if funds are available.

    Are there academic progress rules?

    Yes. Students receiving financial aid are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress toward their degree objectives. Students must also make sufficient progress each year toward completion of degree requirements within a “normal” time frame and must meet the specific academic requirements established for the curriculum. Please see the college catalog for each colleges satisfactory academic progress policy rules.

    I have questions about the Hope Scholarship and Lifetime Learning Credit benefits?

    For more information regarding the Hope Credit, the Lifetime Learning Credit, and other tax benefits for postsecondary students, see the Internal Revenue Service’s Tax Incentives for Higher Education Expenses

    What if I have other questions about my financial aid?

    Financial Aid staff is available to answer questions via phone and email.

    Pomona Campus Financial Aid Office

    Monday – Friday – open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

    Staff can also be reached by Email, Staff Teams or Telephone, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

    Lebanon Campus Financial Aid Office

    Monday and Friday staff works remotely – call 541-289-0360

    Open Tuesday – Wednesday – 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

    Phone: (541) 289-0360


    Is an alternative private loan right for me?

    Alternative private loans are distributed by private lenders. These lenders include banks, credit unions and private lending companies (not loans from the federal government). Students should contact the financial aid office to discuss their borrowing options and if this is the right program for you.

    Why would I want to get a private alternative Loan?

    A private alternative loan may provide enough funds to enable you to attend and pay for the college of your choice. However, alternative loans frequently have a higher interest rate, so you may want to consider this option only after exhausting all other financial aid options such as federal government loans and scholarships.

    What’s the difference between Direct Federal and private alternative loans?

    Almost all private alternative loans are going to have a higher interest rate than any federal government loan. Private/alternative loans typically have a variable interest rate. Federal government Loans have a fixed interest rate. Please contact a financial aid counselor to discuss the differences between a Federal Direct Loan Program and private/alternative loan programs.

    How do I repay my loans?

    Each repayment plan has its own terms, and it’s important to research the options of each prospective plan. Please contact your lender or a financial aid counselor to fully discuss your repayment plan options.

    Where can I locate accreditation information about the University?

    The accreditation information for Western University is located in the college catalog at: University Catalog.

    Where can I locate professional accreditation information specific to my college?

    The professional accreditation for each specific college is located in the college catalog at: University Catalog then click on your college.

    Where can I locate readmission information?

    Readmission information may be located in General Academic Policies and Procedures section of the college catalog at: University Catalog .

    Where can I find individual education plans, general degree requirements for my college?

    Education plans and general degree requirements for each college is located in the college catalog at: University Catalog then click on your college.

  • Federal Work Study

    What is Federal work Study?

    The Federal Work Study program provides funds that are earned through part-time employment to assist students in financing their cost of attendance or reducing their loan debt.

    Does Western University participate in the Federal Work Study program?


    Who Qualifies for Federal Work Study?

    • In order to be eligible for FWS, students must:
    • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
    • Have completed a current FAFSA
    • Have remaining unmet need
    • Be in good academic standing
    • Be enrolled at least half time

    Where do I find available Federal Work Study positions?

    Details concerning available positions are posted on the Western University’s Human Resource job site under “job openings”. Select “Federal Work Study” under position type.

    What determines “unmet need” ?

    In order to be eligible for a Federal Work Study position a student must have “unmet need” or available funds on their financial aid award letter that they have not or will not accept. For other possible options please contact the FWS coordinator at .

    Are Federal Work Study positions on or off campus?

    Currently all Federal Work Study positions are on campus.

    How many hours can I work?

    Students may not work more than 20 hours a week.

    Are Federal Work Study earnings taxable?

    FICA, Social Security and Medicare taxes do not apply to students employed under the FWS program while students are enrolled. However, during anytime of non-enrollment and other special circumstances (contact payroll) students will have taxes deducted from their pay. In addition, students may be required to file federal and state taxes based on your IRS guidelines.


  • Returning Loan Funds to the Lender

    How do I return loan funds to my lender/servicer from a previous academic year?

    If a student wishes to return funds to their servicer by check, rather than make the payment on-line the following steps are suggested:

    • Contact the servicer by phone first to advise what your intent is, so your account may be annotated by the service representative.
    • Identify the account number and academic year you wish to return the funds to be applied.
    • Confirm the actual mailing address where the check will be sent to.
    • Attach a note/letter with the check listing name, social security number, account number and academic year to which return of funds is to be applied.
    • Follow up in 30 days to ensure funds were credited to your account properly.
    • Make copies for your records.

    Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you have any questions returning funds.

    How do I return loan funds to my lender/servicer for the current academic year?

    • Complete a Loan Adjustment Form for the current academic year located at:
      Financial Aid SharePoint site/Loan Adjustments/return loan(s)
    • Indicate the amount you would like to return in the second block of the Loan Adjustment Form and to which loan type the return is to be applied.
    • Attach a personal check made payable to Western University of Health Sciences for the amount provided in the second block of the Loan Adjustment Form.
    • Submit to the Financial Aid Office for processing.
    • Makes copies for your records.

    For any questions regarding the return of funds to your lender, please see a financial aid counselor.

    To ensure timeliness in processing, you should submit the request two weeks or sooner prior to the end of your enrollment period.