Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Students and staff walk to or from the Health Education Center on the WesternU campus Esplanade.

Exit Counseling

To be in compliance with Federal Regulations, exit loan counseling is a mandatory requirement for any student borrower who graduates, goes below half-time enrollment, takes a leave of absence or withdraws from the university on all loans received from the Department of Education and Health and Human Services. This includes the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, Primary Care Loan (PCL), Loans for Disadvantage Students (LDS), Health Professions Student Loans (HPSL) and Nursing Loans.

Perkins, PCL, LDS, HPSL and Nursing loans Exit Counseling Information

If during anytime while attending Western University of Health Sciences you received a Perkins (no longer available), Primary Care Loan, Loans for Disadvantage Students or Nursing loans you will need to complete exit counseling for each of the loan types. Western University of Health Sciences uses, Educational Computer Systems, Inc. (ECSI) as the servicer on your Perkins, PCL, LDS, HPSL and Nursing loans. ECSI will contact you directly through your WesternU e-mail address for instructions to complete you exit(s) on-line.

  • Accessing Your Loan History

    To access your Federal Direct loan or Federal Perkins loan history, you may go to the National Student Loan Data Service. In order to access your information you will need to have your Social Security number, birth date, the first two letters of your last name and your FAFSA PIN number. If you do not know your FAFSA PIN number. By accessing NSLDS you will be able to view your loan amounts, outstanding principle, outstanding interest, lender and servicer information including addresses, phone numbers and web sites.

    Students may view their WesternU loan history by accessing via their WesternU financial aid award letter.

  • Repaying Your Student Loans

    Your education is a major investment in yourself. Pursuing your degree at WesternU has taken both time and money. Beginning repayment of your student loans can often seem like a confusing and complex process. Successful repayment requires that you understand the basics of your loans and the repayment options available to you. Please visit our “Repaying Your Student Loans” page for a step-by-step simple guide in helping you with some of the first steps to take when repaying your student loans.

  • Loans for Disadvantage Students, Perkins, Health Professions Student Loan and the Primary Care Loan – Rights and Responsibilities
  • Federal Direct Loan Program – Rights and Responsibilities

    Students should refer to their master promissory note for a full statement and additional information about the terms and conditions of your loans.

    You have the right to:

    • written information about your loan obligation, information on loan consolidation and refinancing, and a list of your rights and responsibilities as a borrower.
    • a copy of your promissory note, and return of the note when your loan is paid in full.
    • information, before you begin repayment, on interest rates, fees you might be charged and how they are collected, and the total balance owed on your loans.
    • a loan repayment schedule that lets you know, before you begin repayment, when your first payment is due, the number and frequency of payments, and the amount of each payment.
    • an explanation of default and its consequences.
    • an explanation of the grace period, and of federal interest benefits, if you qualify for those benefits.
    • pre-pay your loan at any time without penalty.
    • a description of applicable deferment, forbearance and discharge provisions.

    You have responsibility to:

    • repay the loan according to the loan repayment schedule even if you don’t receive a bill or repayment notice.
    • notify the Direct Loan Servicing Center in advance if you will be late in making a payment or if you are unable to make payments.
    • notify the Direct Loan Servicing Center of anything that affects your ability to repay, or your eligibility for a deferment, forbearance or cancellation.
    • notify the College, if you are still enrolled, or the Direct Loan Servicing Center of any change in your name, address, Social Security Number or any change in your employer’s name or address.
    • notify the Direct Loan Servicing Center if you fail to enroll for the period covered by the loan, or if you graduate, withdraw from school, begin attending less than half-time, or transfer to another school.
    • receive online or in-person entrance counseling before you are given your first loan disbursement and exit counseling before you leave school.
  • Reminder…..

    Use the loan calculator to compute and estimate the size of your monthly loan payment and annual salary required to manage the payment.

    Contacting the Ombudsman | Federal Student Aid f the Department of Education helps resolve disputes and solve other problems with federal student loans. This site also provides tools and checklists as well as other resources to help you resolve your problem.

    The easiest way to contact the Ombudsman is to file an on-line assistance request thru Other contact options are: Mail: U. S. Department of Education.

    For comprehensive consolidation information, please visit the “Go To Guide for College Financial Aid,” type in the box the word Consolidation.