The application period for the 2021 opportunity is now closed.
USDA AHDR Program Mission:
The purpose of the USDA Animal Health and Disease Research Program is to promote animal health research at accredited state veterinary schools or colleges or agricultural experiment stations. It is designed to improve global food security, reduce the incidence of food-borne illness, improve the health of livestock, and protect agricultural health.
Expectations and support:
- Each student research scholar receives a stipend of $5,000. CVM will match $2,500 towards supplies and consumables.
- Student research scholars are expected to attend all group training opportunities offered by the program (workshops and field trips) and present a poster at the Boehringer Ingelheim National Veterinary Scholars Symposium (NVSS). Registration fees, travel costs and poster preparation will be covered.
- Individual projects should enable the student research scholar to formulate a testable hypothesis, identify specific objectives, conduct research, interpret data and present their findings in the form of an abstract and/or poster.
- Demonstration of the use of biomedical research skills in specialty fields (e.g. Pathology, Toxicology, Laboratory Animal Medicine, Pharmacology, Clinical, and Imaging) is desirable.
Students without prior research experience are encouraged to apply. Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Students must have completed at least one year of a DVM curriculum, be currently enrolled, and in good academic standing at their University.
- Students must commit to attending all training opportunities, including the BI-NIH Symposium.
- WesternU will welcome students in the European programs as long as they meet the criteria for eligibility.
Submitting your application:
- Complete the Online Veterinary Summer Research Program Application
- The application deadline for this opportunity is January 31, 2021
- Student applications will be sent to corresponding mentors who will rank applicants.
- Students’ project rankings will be matched with mentors’ rankings of applicants to finalize the pairing of scholars and mentors.
- Notification by March 1, 2021
Questions, or issues with the application, should be directed to the CVM Office for Research (email@example.com).