OptumHealth Assistance Program for Students
All Western University of Health Sciences full-time students have direct access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for Students through OptumHealth. Under this Employee Assistance Program for Students, you and any member of your immediate household are eligible for up to five (5) free counseling sessions for each “incident” or situation.
Counseling services may be accessed by telephone, via the web, or face-to-face. These confidential services consist of a series of tools and resources designed to help WesternU students learn new and useful techniques for dealing with stress, anxiety, depression and other common challenges.
Some of the available services include:
- Landlord/Tenant conflicts
- Wills/consumer issues
- Free 30 minute consultation
- Referral to legal specialists
Parenting & Child Care
- Becoming a parent/exploring adoption
- Child care options and referrals
- Parenting skills
- Strategies for working parents
Emotional Well Being
- Stress and Depression
- Anger Management
- Family Issues
- Domestic Violence
- Grief and Loss
Substance Abuse & Recovery
- Alcohol/drug abuse
- Eating Disorders
- Outpatient counseling
- Support groups/community services
- Help with credit reports
- Debt management
- Dealing with delinquent payments
Work and School Issues
- Career Planning
- Performance Concerns
To learn more about or access services, please follow these steps:
- Visit OptumHealth’s EAP for Students website
- Enter access code – select “Enter anonymously”
- If you do not have an access code, select “I don’t know my access code”
- Select “Western University of Health Sciences” from the dropdown list
- Hit “Enter”
- Select “Get started” on the homepage and find a provider
You are also able to contact OptumHealth anytime at 1-800-234-5465 for confidential help. If you call this number before beginning a treatment, OptumHealth will help ensure that you obtain access to the most appropriate provider for your needs. The PBH provider network includes psychologists and other licensed clinical providers.
If you are struggling with thoughts of suicide or need to speak with a professional 24-hours a day you may call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
For urgent concerns:
OptumHealth Counseling – Available 24/7
Anna Couch, Ph.D., M.A., M.F.T.
Urgent Appointments: 626-391-8508
For an appointment with our on-site counselor:
On Campus Office Location and Hours:
Health Sciences Center (HSC), Room #107
Tuesday: 12:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Thursday: 12:00 – 7:30 p.m.
*Dr. Couch can be seen off-campus in Diamond Bar, CA. Please inquire directly with Dr. Couch.