Description:Provides access to Science Journal from the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
Access: Western University of Health Sciences authorized users only. Remote access via the proxy server available for currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff of WesternU.
Current employees/faculty of a Member who are doing work or conducting research for a Member’s institution who are authorized to access the Secure Network; (ii) current contractors or visiting faculty doing work or conducting research for a Member’s institution who are authorized to access the Secure Network; (iii) retiree or emeritus faculty of a Member institution who are authorized to access the Secure Network; (iv) where applicable, individuals who are currently, officially enrolled as a registered student of a degree program at the Member’s institution who are authorized to access the Secure Network; (v) walk-in users who are permitted to use the Member institution’s library or information services and who are authorized to access the Secure Network, but only while on the physical premises of the Member institution; and (vi) Other users as may be authorized in writing by and at the sole discretion of the Publisher.
A non-profit university, other educational institution or research organization that is in membership of the Consortium, which has agreed by virtue of its membership to be bound by the terms and conditions of this License as a party to it.
The authorized site covered in this license is Western University of Health Sciences only. For purposes of this Agreement, other users may be authorized in writing by and at the sole discretion of the Publisher.
Authorized Users may:
- Search, view, retrieve and display the Licensed Materials;
- Occasionally electronically save individual articles or items of the Licensed Materials for personal use;
- Print off a discrete copy of parts of the Licensed Materials on an occasional basis;
- Distribute a copy of individual articles or items of the Licensed Materials in print or electronic form on an occasional basis to other Authorized Users; for the avoidance of doubt, this sub-clause shall include the distribution of a copy for teaching purposes to each individual student Authorized User in a class at the Member’s institution;
- Incorporate reasonable portions of the Licensed Materials in printed Course Packs and Electronic Reserve collections for the use of Authorized Users in the course of instruction at a Member’s institution, but not for Commercial Use. Each such item shall carry appropriate acknowledgement of the source, listing title and author of the extract, title and author of the work, and the publisher. With Electronic Reserve, Authorized User or Member agrees to remove content at the end of the specific course of instruction. Course packs in non-electronic non-print perceptible form, such as audio or Braille, may also be offered to Authorized Users who, in the reasonable opinion of the Member, are visually impaired;
- Practice Inter Library Loan (ILL) of articles or components of the Licensed Materials for noncommercial use in compliance with Section 108 of the United States Copyright Law (17 USC 108, “limitations on exclusive rights: Reproduction by libraries and archives”) and clause 3 for the Guidelines for Proviso of Subsection 108(g)(2) prepared by the National Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyrighted works. Additionally, Member may supply single copies of articles to a requesting library by electronic transmission for ILL purposes as described above provided the requesting library is instructed to delete the electronic file immediately after delivery to the end user and provided the end user is instructed not to further distribute the article copy.
- Non-commercial Members’ Authorized Users may use the Licensed Materials for text and data mining, for purely internal non-commercial research purposes, for as long as the Member maintains a subscription to the Licensed Materials, subject to the terms and conditions. Corporate Entities and/or Members who are interested in using the Licensed Materials for text and data mining projects that are commercial in nature or that are for external activities or purposes should contact the AAAS Licensing Department to negotiate a separate License Agreement.
Restrictions on Use
Neither the Consortium nor any Member nor any Authorized User may, except as otherwise permitted by written permission of Publisher or by separate agreement signed by both Parties:
- Remove, cover, obscure, or alter the authors’ names or the Publisher’s copyright notices, trademarks, logos, or other means of identification or disclaimers as they appear in the Licensed Materials;
- Systematically or regularly make an excessive number of print or electronic copies of multiple extracts of the Licensed Materials for any purpose, except as provided in the Usage Rights section above;
- Except as otherwise permitted, mount or distribute any part of the Licensed Materials on any electronic network, including without limitation the Internet and the World Wide Web, other than as permitted herein on the Secure Network;
- Download portions or articles from the Licensed Materials for the purpose of creating systematic and persistent local copies (not including transient, dynamic caches of individually requested material) for redistribution;
- Use articles or portions of the Licensed Materials for any Commercial Use ( e.g., printing to resell or redistribute to nonpaying or non-authorized users);
- Use any automated computer program or activity to search, index, test, download, or grab information from the Licensed Materials (including but not limited to web robots, spiders, and crawlers) that has a negative impact on Publisher’s Server or on the use of the Licensed Materials by others.
Members may use a Secure Proxy Server to permit Authorized Users who are not walk-in users to access the Licensed Materials from places where these users perform their work or studies (such
as homes, offices, halls of residence, and student dormitories). A “Secure Proxy Server” must require authentication (a person must enter a username and password that proves they are an Authorized User permitted to access the Licensed Materials remotely). Access to the site via open proxies and other non-authenticated proxy servers is prohibited.
Member and their Authorized Users may make all use of the Licensed Materials as is consistent with fair use under copyright law. Nothing in this License shall be interpreted to limit in any way whatsoever any Member’s or any Authorized User’s fair use rights under copyright law to use the Licensed Materials.
- Distribute in print or electronic form to a colleague, minimal, insubstantial portions of the Licensed Materials, for the purposes of personal, scholarly, or scientific research and communication provided it is not for any Commercial Use and is consistent with fair use under copyright law;
- Supply single copies of articles (either digital or paper copies), from the Licensed Materials, to health professionals or other persons legitimately requesting medical information in relation to the medical, therapeutic or technical use and support of any of the Consortium’s products under the following conditions only: (a) Such copies must be free-standing with no additional material affixed to or printed on them; (b) The copies must carry, without modification, those copyright notices already incorporated in the Licensed Materials; (c) Recipients acknowledge, agree or otherwise accept not to further distribute the copies; (d) This use of Licensed Materials is restricted to responding to enquiries (reactive use). For the avoidance of doubt, it excludes the proactive or multiple supply of articles for marketing, sales or other purposes, including any activity which would replace a subscription or the purchase of reprints;
Full policy: https://www.aaas.org/privacy-policy