Please note that many of our programs have made exceptions to the application process and admissions requirements due to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic response. Additionally, references to in-person campus visits, events, lab work, or classroom interactions should be read in light of current campus health and safety guidelines, which continue to evolve in response to changing conditions. More information can be found on WesternU’s COVID-19 Information page. Please contact us if you have any questions or need further information.
The first step in the admissions process for the Master of Science in Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Sciences (MSBPS) program is to ensure you are on track to complete the requirements in time to apply for your preferred year of entry.
A Bachelor of Science degree in pharmacy, chemistry, biology or related scientific area
- BS must be obtained from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or its equivalent abroad
- All coursework taken from non-US institutions (including Canada) must be submitted to an approved service for evaluation
- Using 500 words or less you will describe (1) your educational background, (2) your areas of interest in biotechnology and pharmaceutical sciences, and (3) additional information that would strengthen the application, such as achievements or overcoming adversity.
- This will be part of the online application
Minimum overall GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
The program requires applicants to submit scores for either the GRE, MCAT or the DAT for consideration.
General Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- A recommended total minimum score of 300 (verbal and quantitative)
- GRE must be taken within the last five (5) years
- WesternU’s school code is 4152
- Official test scores for the general aptitude portion (verbal, quantitative and analytical) of the GRE must be submitted directly from the Educational Testing Service to WesternU’s Admissions Operations Office
Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
- Recommended minimum 497 Total Score
- MCAT must be taken within the last three (3) years
Dental Admission Test (DAT)
- Recommended minimum score of 15 for Academic Average
- DAT must be taken within the last three (3) years
- WesternU’s school code is 15
- Official DAT scores must be submitted directly from the American Dental Association (ADA)
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – If Required
TOEFL or IELTS is required for all applicants submitting coursework from foreign schools.
TOEFL minimum recommended score:
- An 89 (23 speaking, 22 writing, 22 reading and 22 listening) on the Internet Based TOEFL (IBT) is required
- Official scores must be submitted at the time of application
- TOEFL scores are valid for two years
IELTS minimum recommended score:
International Students: We do not require a separate application or fee, and you should be prepared to meet all of the requirements as outlined. If you need assistance with immigration (I-20 form, F-1 visa, SEVIS, etc.), our Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS) staff are available to help you. Visit the OISS website to learn more.
Proof of Legal U.S. Residency – If Required: International applicants, or any other applicants who are not U.S. citizens and who are living in the U.S., must provide proof of legal U.S. residency prior to matriculation.
Preparing And Submitting Your Application
The apply now page will provide you with step-by-step instructions as well as an application checklist. There are a number of supporting materials that make up your completed application, and it is essential that you print and carefully follow the checklist to ensure that you properly submit these pieces by the deadline.